Re: [bafuture] Mom's Care Can Alter DNA of Her Offspring

  • Wayne Radinsky
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 19 1:34 PM
      Ok, first of all, the idea that experience shapes the brain
      is not new. I posted http://www.violence.de on this list
      years ago, for example. And you can go all the way back to
      the Harlow monkey experiments.

      Here's a book review that popped up recently:

      Minding the baby
      When researchers studied the brains of Romanian orphans -
      children who had been left to cry in their cots from birth
      and denied any chance of forming close bonds with an adult
      - they found a "virtual black hole" where the orbitofrontal
      cortex should have been.
      http://books.guardian.co.uk/reviews/politicsphilosophyandsociety/0,6121,1263076,00.html

      Secondly: this writer seems confused about the meaning of
      "epigenetic". As I understood it, what "epigenetic"
      (ancient greek for "outside genetic") refers to is the
      influence of the non-DNA material in the egg when it's
      fertilized. In other words, the organism that you get is
      not *just* the result of the DNA, but the result of the DNA
      + the rest of the egg. This writer seems to have confused
      epigenic factors with gene *expression*. Genes control the
      expression of other genes, so that depending on the
      environmental circumstance, some genes may or may not be
      expressed. One way this is done is by attaching other
      molecules to the DNA (you could call them "silencers" but
      I've never heard biologists use the term) which inhibit the
      ribosomes from transcribing that section of the DNA.

      wayne

      On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:04:02 -0000, Michael Korns <mkorns@...> wrote:
      > Mellow or Stressed?
      > Mom's Care Can Alter
      > DNA of Her Offspring
      > Wall Street Journal Science Page
      > July 16, 2004

      [thwack]
    • Michael Korns
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 23 11:05 AM
        On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 Wayne Radinsky <waynerad@...> wrote
        Subject: Re: Mom's Care Can Alter DNA of Her Offspring

        Mike,

        I re-read the original article you posted. I also searched
        Google news for more articles.

        In the two articles (yours and the one I found on Google),
        I did not see any evidence that the so-called "altered" DNA
        affected the germline and was passed to offspring. I could
        not find any evidence that the "epigenetic" factors -- the
        "silencers" for "stress hormone receptor regulation" were
        transported from the brain to the egg cells where they
        could affect the offspring via epigenetic effects.

        Therefore NO Lamarckian evolution is taking place.
        Remember, to establish Lamarckian evolution, it is not
        enough to show the mother's behavior affects the brain
        development of the offspring. You must also show that those
        changes are transmitted to the offspring's offspring.

        Wayne,

        You are right about the author's use of the term "epigenetic".
        As for Lamarckian evolution taking place, we're getting closer.
        Certainly, cloning is an example of indirect Lamarckian
        evolution. The scientist's brain alters Dolly's genes and the
        changes are passed on the Dolly's children. Furthermore, as
        more experiments in somatic genetic treatments are successful,
        the barriers to true Lamarckian evolution will be further
        challenged.

        Michael

        Michael Korns
        1 Plum Hollow Drive