The Future of Work: Underground Investigation

  • Joschka Fisher
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2004
      I'm working on a Remy-XO Cognac and the room is
      semi-filled with contractors...mostly Australian.

      This "sports" bar usually houses the Stanford Alumni,
      Profs et al. You know..the ones who leave a tip in
      front of their friends then wait till no one's looking
      and grab it back and sneak out the room! That ain't
      hyperbole either!! :)

      Well..the gist of this is the computer contractors are
      here. Two account managers are in the corner
      discussing whether to hire Accel agency people or get
      their own for less money; Whether Sun will compete
      with IBM on the bid.

      "I'd rather hire Sun people under IBM contractors..;
      Sun doesn't have enough people in place to handle the
      project."

      There's a team of Brit, S. AFrican and Australian (
      Australian lead) in the corner discussing who's
      equipment in Iraq they're gonna use.

      So..when did the high-tech jobs start heading to
      Australia? Perth, or Perth operate as a hub for
      international contractos coming to Silicon Valley just
      for training, in particular?

      More later or after the next drink.

      joschka fischer