Re: Technology Laws

  • genomik2
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2002
      I cannot find it, but there is one that says something like:
      "The number of genes you can put on a microarray doubles every
      year". It is like Moores law for biotech, but I think the numbers
      are more astounding. For example, if a DNA base = a byte, then the
      whole human genome is ~33MB. That means all our genes added up in
      one person are only ~##MB. That is a pretty dinky OS. Even Windows
      95 is probably bigger than we are, so pretty quickly the microarray
      can read humans pretty easily! What happens when we get terabyte
      microarrayers. I imagine the next hurdle will be to cut down the
      time to sequence.

      I think it was a Dr Chen from Stanford or Caliper Technologies, but
      I donna remember.....

      Asta La Vista
      Erik