NEXT FRIDAY, May 7: David Brin - PROBING FOR QUICKSAND: PEERING AHEAD INTO TOMORROW'S WORLD

  • Jessica Richman
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2004
      EVENT: San Diego Futurists
      GUEST SPEAKER: David Brin
      TALK: Probing for Quicksand

      WHEN: May 7, 2004: 8 - 9:30 pm (1st Friday of every month).

      *** THIS MONTH'S PRESENTATION WILL START AT 8 PM. FEEL FREE TO GET THERE
      AT 7 PM FOR DISCUSSIONS. DAVID BRIN WILL BE THERE AT 8 PM. ***

      WHERE: Barnes Noble, 10775 Westview Parkway, San Diego, CA 92126.

      TOPIC:"Probing For Quicksand: How We Peer a Bit Ahead, Into Tomorrow's
      World."

      The new millennium has people pondering the future as never before. We
      already devote much of our economy to all kinds of forecasting, from
      weather reports and stock analyses to financial and strategic planning,
      from sports handicapping to urban design, from political prophets to
      those charlatans on psychic hotlines. Which variety of seer you listen
      to can often be a matter of style. Some prefer horoscopes, while others
      like to hear consultants in Armani suits present a convincing "business
      case."

      There are good reasons for concern, ranging all the way from terrorism
      to economic uncertainty in a technology-driven world. Economies still
      suffer from boom-bust cycles. "Agility" appears to be the watch word of
      the Twenty-First Century. What products and services will consumers need
      in the decade or two just ahead? What threats and opportunities should
      companies, institutions and private individuals prepare for?

      Together, let's explore a range of possible changes and challenges that
      we may face in the near
      future... and some plausible visions of the territory just beyond.

      BIO: David Brin, scientist, science fiction author

      David Brin is a scientist, public speaker, and author. Several of his
      novels have been New York Times Bestsellers, winning multiple Hugo,
      Nebula and other awards. His 1989 ecological thriller, *Earth*,
      foreshadowed global warming, cyberwarfare and near-future trends such as
      the World Wide Web. A 1998 movie, directed by Kevin Costner, was loosely
      based on *The Postman*. His fifteen novels have been translated into
      more than twenty languages.

      Brin's 1998 non-fiction book, *The Transparent Society: Will Technology
      Force Us to Choose Between Freedom and Privacy*, deals with a wide range
      of threats and opportunities facing our wired society during the
      information age. His chief argument, that openness is more effective
      than secrecy at fostering freedom, sparked controversy and garnered the
      prestigious Freedom of Speech Prize from the American Library
      Association.

      David Brin's papers in scientific journals cover an eclectic range of
      topics from astronautics, astronomy, and optics to alternative dispute
      resolution and the role of neoteny in human evolution. His Ph.D in Space
      Physics from the University of California at San Diego followed a
      masters in optics and an undergraduate degree in astrophysics from
      Caltech. He was a postdoctoral fellow at the California Space Institute
      and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

      David's latest novel, *Kiln People*, has been called a book of ideas
      disguised as a fast-moving and fun noir detective story, set in a future
      when new technology enables people to physically be in more than two
      places at once. DC/Wildstorm recently released a 144-page hardcover
      graphic novel, *The Life Eaters*, which they called "the most exciting
      work in our field since Watchmen."
    • Troy Gardner
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2004
        If anyone would like to rideshare down to SD from Santa Monica to see David
        Brin (leaving 3pm or so), please email me at TheGreyman@.... We should be
        back 1am or so.

        2nd I'll be giving an updated presentation to the OC-CHI (Orange Country -
        Computer Human Interaction) if anyone is interested.

        Wednesday, May 5th at Alteer Corp., 6:00 pm
        Speaker: Troy Gardner, Intrio
        Talk: HCI (Human Computer Interfaces): Bridging the Gap Between the Humans and
        the
        Machines

        OC CHI is proud to present Troy Gardner, inventor and entrepreneur. In his
        talk, Troy will discuss HCI- what it is, its history, present and speculation
        on it's future. Imagine a three lane highway, each lane corresponding to a
        tier of the interface: humans (cognition and our sensing/motor skills),
        machines (software/hardware and corresponding sensors/cognition/actuation), and
        the bridges between them (interfaces/interaction). With each tier, we'll
        consider where they are going/converging. Along the way Troy will cover topics
        including how we got to where we are and how our sensory/motor skills have
        evolved from looms to punchcards to keyboards, mice and the many alternate
        interfaces available now (such as eye mice) that flow out of specialized needs
        (e.g. normalizing the handicapped). Troy will also discuss his own research
        into new interface designs (namely, the Flickey input device) and some of the
        challenges still left, speculation on the future of HCI, drawing on ideas
        presented in science fiction (Star Trek, The Matrix, etc).

        If you plan to attend, please send email to Chris Jensen at
        acm_occhi2002@...

        Directions to Alteer
        4 Venture, Suite 100
        Irvine, CA 92618

        Directions from the North:
        Take 405 Freeway South.
        Take 133 North, exit immediately at "Barranca Parkway."
        Turn Left on Pacifica at the first traffic light.
        At the next light, stay on Pacifica, crossing Barranca Parkway.
        Turn right on Venture.
        Park in the second lot on your left at the "Spectrum Business Center" sign.

        Directions from the South:
        Take I-5 Freeway North.
        Take Alton Parkway exit.
        Turn left on Alton Parkway.
        Drive across Irvine Center Drive
        Turn right on Pacifica
        Drive across Barranca Parkway
        Turn right on Venture.
        Park in the second lot on your right at the "Spectrum Business Center" sign.

        Regards,
        Chris Jensen
        ACM OC CHI secretary
        acm_occhi2002@...

        =====
        Troy Gardner -"How you live your seconds, is how you live your days, is how you live your life..."

        http://www.troygardner.com -my world, philosophy, music, writings.
        http://www.troyworks.com -consulting & training in Flash, Java, and C#
        http://www.intrio.com -helping bridge the gap between the humans and machines. Home of the Flickey´┐Ż