Forgotten Technology ...

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2004

      Weblog post: http://www.futuresalon.org/2004/04/forgotten_techn.html

      Wow, I guess Wallace T. Wallington rediscovered an old technology
      with which he is not only able to move, but also raise a 19,200 lbs
      block of concrete by himself. Forgotten Technology (Click on the
      pictures to see little demonstrations, absolutely amazing.)

      He estimates: "I could build The Great Pyramid of Giza, using my
      techniques and primitive tools. On a twenty-five year construction
      schedule, (working forty hours per week at fifty weeks per year,
      using the input of myself to calculate) I would need a crew of 520
      people to move blocks from the main quarry to the site and another
      100 to move the blocks on site. For hoisting I need a crew of 120 (40
      working and 80 rotating). My crew can raise 7000 lb. 100 ft. per
      minute. I have found the design of the pyramid is functional in it's
      own construction. No external ramp is needed."

      Spread the word, how much productivity will we gain, especially in
      third world countries? And sell your Caterpillar stocks :-) [Via
      Quote-a-Day]

      Not this is not an April Fool's joke.

      Best, Mark.
    • Alan Patrick
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2004
        http://www.futuresalon.org/2004/04/forgotten_techn.html

        I'm both an engineer and a keen historian, so ancient technology fascinates
        me...its amazing how close the Chinese and Greeks especially came to steam
        power and various other "Industrial Revolution" thingies. And as for teh
        Byzantines and Arabs, well there's no excuse!

        Alan