Word "Hack" is Blacklisted on Yahoo Group Descriptions

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2004
      Hi Futureists,

      (Weblog post here:
      http://www.futuresalon.org/2004/02/word_hack_is_bl.html)

      Long overdue, this morning I updated our Yahoo Group Description,
      announcing that our March 19th Future Salon Speaker will be David
      Sifry founder and CEO of Technorati.

      I loved his Etech Technorati Hacks session and I wrote about it in
      the Yahoo Group Description, but they would not let me save my text,
      because it contained a word that Yahoo perceives as not appropriate.
      The word is "Hack", who would have thought.

      Wow and that just when O'Reilly is giving the word hacks a positive
      spin and coolness by coming out with a whole Hack series, and I hear
      that it is very successful.

      Of course I had to check which other words are banned. From George
      Carlin's Seven Dirty Words that you can't say on television or radio
      two make it through: Piss and C*sucker.

      Society has agreed to ban the dirty seven, because people are
      offended by them, which I don't have a big problem with.

      Hack on the other hand is different. I don't think anyone is offended
      by the word hack, you may be if someone calls you a hack, but not in
      a description of a Yahoo Group. Fear is the motivation for
      blacklisting that word.

      In the media hacking is often portrait as a criminal activity and the
      capabilities of hackers are greatly blown out of proportion. For
      example Kevin Mitnick said, that he was denied access to a pay phone
      in prison, because prosecutors argued he might launch a nuclear
      strike by whistling into the handset.

      There thinking, I assume, goes like this: Don't give Hackers a place
      to bond together and exchange ideas. Or if they do, don't make it
      easy for others to find them. Just ban the word "Hack" and no search
      engine will index that group under that term. If you are not in the
      search index, no one will find you and your reach is limited. Subtly,
      but very powerfull.

      Let's not forget, that there are so many other definitions of the
      word hack (. The funny thing is, only the last one is mentioning to
      malicious hacking: "...refer to a program that's clever but not very
      useful, to the process of breaking into computers--which more
      properly should be referred to as "cracking," ..." (The Wikipedia
      definition is way better then all the ones that Google lists)

      Of course "crack" or "cracking" is not banned, but "hacking" is.
      By the way "Hacks" is not banned, so I used that.

      Nevertheless looking forward to the crackeling hacks from David Sifry
      on the 19th of March 7pm SAP Palo Alto.

      It's a sunny Saturday, one should hack a bit in the garden :-)

      All the best, Mark.
    • Joschka Fisher
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2004
        Hmmm! I wonder what the Cab drivers are gonna make of
        this?

        On the other hand, 3 years ago I got a verbal
        reprimand for describing someone as a "Yahoo"!

        Back in the old days of Jersey...one of the insults
        for a dolt was "Nimrod", the name actually taken from
        the 1st 16 pages of the Bible ( King Nimrod ) but
        using the "sound" of the word to establish an implied
        offense. When question: "Hey it's in the Bible!"

        I see "Nimrod" is now making its way across the TV
        circuts.

        joschka fischer

        Hi Futureists,