Re: [bafuture] New post at http://finnern.com/future ...

  • Chris Phoenix
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 13, 2002
      Futurists should note that the Toyota Prius has been sold in the US for
      a couple of years now (and in Japan for several years before that). The
      Edmunds article doesn't mention the Prius at all. I have not seen the
      Civic, but I was not at all impressed by the Honda Insight. The Insight
      is built way too light, and is only a two-seater and is cramped even
      so. Unlike either Honda car, the Prius engine actually shuts off *while
      you are driving* if it can save fuel that way. Also, the Prius is a
      *Super* Ultra Low Emission Vehicle, which the Civic is not. I've been
      quite happy with my Prius. I tell people, "The Insight is a toy; the
      Prius is a car." And, "The Insight is a gas car with an electric torque
      boost; the Prius is an electric car with a gas recharge."

      At this point, I don't think either car is futuristic; I agree with
      Robert that real futurism at this point requires fuel cells. So if
      Robert wants to defend his car, he should probably have the last word.

      Chris

      bafuture@... wrote:

      > Little post from Robert:
      >
      > Fellow Futurists
      >
      > As I mentioned to some of you at the last BAFuturist meeting, I am now in possession of the future of automobiles (well, the near future. They wouldn't sell me a fuel-cell-powered car) As of a week ago, I am the proud owner of a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. I am deeply impressed by the technology and enjoy telling everybody about it. As my friends are now starting to avoid me for this reason, I figure I'll have to cast my net wider and will be bringing it along to the next BAFuturist meeting, where it will be available for show and tell and test rides and the like. Hope to see you there!
      >
      > Robert
      >
      > Here Edmunds raves about the car. [1]
      >
      > (I can hardly wait for the ride to the Futurist Salon next Friday :-)
      >
      > [1] http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/49260/article.html

      Chris Phoenix cphoenix@... http://www.best.com/~cphoenix
      Interests: nanotechnology, dyslexia, caving, filk, SF, patent
      reform, stained glass, hang gliding
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 14, 2002
        Hi Chris,

        If you bring your Prius to the Salon next Friday, we can duke it out
        once and for all right there in the parking lot of the Hillsdale
        shopping center.

        Come gassed up and we do 10 rounds each, measure how long it took and
        also top off your tanks to find out, which one was less thirsty :-)

        The only bummer is, that I can't organize the VW one liter car for
        that competition:
        http://www.news24.com/News24/Wheels24/News/0,3999,2-15-
        47_1168834,00.html

        One liter per 100km, I leave that up to you as a little calculation
        exercise how many miles per gallon that is, but it beats the Prius as
        well as the Civic hands down with a conventional diesel engine. Given
        it is not a 'real' car.

        One interesting side note is that the concept of two passengers
        sitting behind each other in a car is not new. In the late forties
        early fifties there was the Messerschmitt Kabinenroller (Cabin
        scooter)doing exactly that:
        http://www.pcsystems.com/messerschmitt/mess.html

        Here a link to another story of the 1 liter car. (There it is
        mentioned how many miles per gallon that is. Check, whether your
        calculation was right.)
        http://www.vwvortex.com/news/04_02/04_16/index.shtml

        All the best and see you all on Friday, Mark.

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > --
        > Chris Phoenix cphoenix@b... http://www.best.com/~cphoenix
        > Interests: nanotechnology, dyslexia, caving, filk, SF, patent
        > reform, stained glass, hang gliding
      • Troy Gardner
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 14, 2002
          > One interesting side note is that the concept of two passengers
          > sitting behind each other in a car is not new. In the late forties
          > early fifties there was the Messerschmitt Kabinenroller (Cabin
          > scooter)doing exactly that:
          > http://www.pcsystems.com/messerschmitt/mess.html

          Though later, many recumbant motorcycle designs had dual passengers inline with
          each other, one still being produced is the very cool ecomobile. Averages
          around 50-60mpg, and has acceleration characteristics similar to many road
          sportscars. Which along with the ability to lay it all the way over and
          recover, I would wager is more fun to drive than any of the aforementioned.
          http://www.peraves.ch/ndexe.htm

          http://autos.yahoo.com
        • c Wildin
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 15, 2002
            on 7/14/02 10:55 PM, markfinnern at markfinnern@... wrote:

> [...]
            > ago, I am the proud owner of a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. I am deeply
            > impressed by the technology and enjoy telling everybody about it. As
            > my friends are now starting to avoid me for this reason, I figure
            > I'll have to cast my net wider and will be bringing it along to the
            > next BAFuturist meeting, where it will be available for show and tell
            > and test rides and the like. Hope to see you there!
            >>>
            >>> Robert
            >>>
            >>> Here Edmunds raves about the car. [1]
            >>>
            >>> (I can hardly wait for the ride to the Futurist Salon next
            > Friday :-)
            >>>
            >>> [1]
            > http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/49260/article.html

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            >>
            >> --
            >> Chris Phoenix cphoenix@b... http://www.best.com/~cphoenix
            >> Interests: nanotechnology, dyslexia, caving, filk, SF, patent

            You really want to drive the Prius? . . . is this a joke for the next
            meeting? RSVP Ceis
          • Ooo0001@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 15, 2002
              In a message dated Mon, 15 Jul 2002 1:27:05 AM Eastern Standard Time, Troy Gardner <thegreyman@...> writes:

              >> One interesting side note is that the concept of two passengers
              >> sitting behind each other in a car is not new. In the late forties
              >> early fifties there was the Messerschmitt Kabinenroller (Cabin
              >> scooter)doing exactly that:
              >> http://www.pcsystems.com/messerschmitt/mess.html
              >
              >Though later, many recumbant motorcycle designs had dual passengers inline with
              >each other, one still being produced is the very cool ecomobile. Averages
              >around 50-60mpg, and has acceleration characteristics similar to many road
              >sportscars.  Which along with the ability to lay it all the way over and
              >recover, I would wager is more fun to drive than any of the aforementioned.
              >http://www.peraves.ch/ndexe.htm

              Or get yourself a motorcycle. A fraction of the price of a high end sports car, much better gas mileage, and nearly twice the acceleration. And leaning over is de riguer! B-) Okay, cargo capacity and weather protection aren't great, but...

              Derek
            • bafuture@attbi.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 16, 2002
                US planning to recruit one in 24 Americans as citizen spies [1].

                This article scares me. It reminds me not only of the East German Stasi, but also of the Blockwarts, (neighborhood watch dogs usually in brown shirts) during the Third Reich, my mother told me about.

                "It was a time when everyone was scared, no one would trust anybody, and in the night they would come and take people out of their houses ... "

                One of my experiences in East Germany also come to my mind: On one of my few visits to East Berlin. I was not very far from the wall and I asked a couple in my age if and were there is a place to go dancing that evening. We talked for a bit and the guy goes behind a house to take a leak. All in a sudden a car drives up three men jump out one running behind the house to check what is happening there.

                They examined our papers and let us go after a while. I never forget the poor couple, they were very disturbed by the fact that this incident would end up in their file and that they shouldn't have been so close to the wall and that they should not have contacted/spoken with someone from the West ...

                Scary stuff and food for thought for our 'Transparent Society' theme this Friday at the Futurist Salon [2].

                [1] http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/07/14/1026185141232.html
                [2] http://finnern.com/future
              • bafuture@attbi.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 17, 2002
                  Why privacy is a good thing ... [1].

                  Another little piece as a preparation for this Friday's Salon from Brian Templeton, about why privacy is something to treasure [2].

                  [1] http://www.templetons.com/brad/watched.html
                  [2] http://www.templetons.com/brad/watched.html
                • wayne radinsky
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 17, 2002
                    Maybe I am missing something, but it appears to me like
                    [1] and [2] are the same link... ?

                    --- bafuture@... wrote:
                    > Why privacy is a good thing ... [1].
                    >
                    > Another little piece as a preparation for this Friday's Salon
                    > from Brian Templeton, about why privacy is something to
                    > treasure [2].
                    >
                    > [1] http://www.templetons.com/brad/watched.html
                    > [2] http://www.templetons.com/brad/watched.html

                    http://autos.yahoo.com
                  • mark finnern
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 17, 2002
                      Hi Wayne and other Futurists,

                      You are not missing anything, the links are identical.

                      As I wrote in my post last Saturday [1], the mails
                      with the Subject:
                      "New post at http://finnern.com/future ..." are
                      generated from an entry at that website.

                      If you check the post there: [2] you will find, that
                      the title as well as some part of the text is a link.

                      Both of these links point to the same story, which is
                      good at the website, but the transfer to email program
                      does not recognize that the links are identical and
                      therefore puts them both at the end.

                      Sorry for the confusion. Also my apologies for the
                      post from yesterday that got sent out again today. Not
                      sure as of yet why that happened.

                      Hope this clears things up, Mark.

                      [2] http://finnern.com/future/2002/07/17.html#a121

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 27 5:34 PM
                        on 7/13/02 1:25 PM, bafuture@... at bafuture@... wrote:

                        > Little post from Robert:
                        >
                        > Fellow Futurists
                        >
                        > As I mentioned to some of you at the last BAFuturist meeting, I am now in
                        > possession of the future of automobiles (well, the near future. They wouldn't
                        > sell me a fuel-cell-powered car) As of a week ago, I am the proud owner of a
                        > 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. I am deeply impressed by the technology and enjoy
                        > telling everybody about it. As my friends are now starting to avoid me for
                        > this reason, I figure I'll have to cast my net wider and will be bringing it
                        > along to the next BAFuturist meeting, where it will be available for show and
                        > tell and test rides and the like. Hope to see you there!
                        >
                        > Robert
                        >
                        > Here Edmunds raves about the car. [1]
                        >
                        > (I can hardly wait for the ride to the Futurist Salon next Friday :-)
                        >
                        > [1] http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/49260/article.html

                        I know that this is an new reply to an old post but I've had two Toyota
                        Prius's in the past 2 years. The demise of the lst because I was broadsided
                        by a nut running a red light. . . I suffered very little damage but the car
                        was totaled. I was so impressed that I waited (for the other insur. co to
                        pay and buy me a new Toyota Prius (2001). I love it, especially the mileage
                        and the trunk space! I now realize that the new Toyota Rav 4 (4 wheel
                        drive) is all electric. . . I think I'll have to see because I'm looking
                        down the road for an alternative vehicle that's a mini RV so I can go
                        traveling!
                        cheers, Ceis