Re: Shielded Cable

  • integrationx
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 24, 2007
      David,

      Thankyou for the response. I need to follow this through the proper
      channels internally to see whether it should be pursued.

      The world of standards is an interesting one and, as I'm sure you
      appreciate, it is how these standards are interpreted and promoted by
      consulting engineers that ultimately effects the success or failure
      of a standards adoption.

      The case in point is typical. Consulting engineers in my region
      are 'adding' references to the ANSI/TIA-EIA 862 standard to their
      documents; down to the level of using structured cabling between
      field level devices. The problem I face is trying to explain why we
      cannot run BACnet MS/TP over unshielded cable. If I state that the
      BACnet MS/TP standard does not support it, the short answer I get is
      that they will exclude BACnet suppliers from the tender process and
      limit it to LON based products (as FT-10 Lon can run over Cat5e)

      Technically I am not in the field of evaluating or even understanding
      all of the electrical phenomenon surrounding shielding etc, so trying
      to present a case for it to be dropped from the BACnet standard for
      MS/TP is probably beyond my ability.

      Perhaps I need to look at the problem another way, and try to educate
      the consultant as to the benefits of shielding.