MS/TP over Category5 UTP

  • integrationx
    Message 1 of 1 , May 20 7:10 PM
      We are seeing a growing trend in new constructions towards the use
      of structured cabling. Several recent specifications in our area
      have called for all Extra Low Voltage (ELV) control systems to
      utilise the structured cabling system and have specifically excluded
      contractors running their own cable.

      To strictly adhere to the current BACnet requirements (Clause
      9.2.1?) would exclude us from these projects, whereas alternate
      protocols (e.g. Lon) specifically allow the use of CAT5 UTP cable.

      A quick search on `EIA-485' and the use of `Cat5 UTP' cable lead me
      to a website for the ESTA which contained their reports on the use
      of Cat5 UTP for their protocol, which is also based on EIA-485
      (http://www.esta.org/tsp/working_groups/CP/DMXoverCat5.htm)

      Their approach was to establish a working group to evaluate their
      protocol over Cat5 cable. The reports contain detailed analysis and
      comparisons by an independent test lab which in fact showed that in
      some cases the Cat5 produced better performance.

      If there was enough interest and potential benefit, could there be a
      BACnet working group established to conduct a similar exercise as
      the ESTA to formally evaluate MS/TP over Cat5?