Teleconference Announcement

  • Coleman Brumley
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 13, 2013

      MSTP-WG,

      The MSTP-WG will have a teleconference Friday, 15-Nov-2013 at 11:30 AM EST.

      The teleconference will be one hour and the agenda is as follows:

      1)      Review outstanding PPR comment responses, if any, and vote to move the comment response document to the SSPC.

      2)      Identify any technical issues that were uncovered during the PPR and discuss how to move forward on those issues.

      3)      Review Add. AN draft language if available.

      Please note that there will be a follow-up teleconference scheduled for the week of 25-Nov to discuss the final draft of Add. AN for the SSPC to consider it for the next PPR cycle. The deadline for that vote is 10-Dec. The definitive date for the next teleconference will be discussed during Friday’s meeting.

      Dial in information

      Conference dial-in number: (209) 647-1600

      Participant access code: 868312

      Skype information

      freeconferencecallhd.1600, or

      freeconferencecallhd.2096471600

      Once prompted for the access code, locate the dial pad and enter the conference access code followed by the pound (#) key to successfully join the conference call.

      For additional Skype support:  http://www.freeconferencecallhd.com/skypeinstructions.html

      Regards,

      Coleman

    • kerlyn2001

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 14, 2013

          Kerry,

          I can’t find the file on Yahoo. Can you send it as an attachment to an email.

          Carl

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 14, 2013
          The new format of the Yahoo groups is pretty broken.  There's a menu
          called "More" and "Files" is below that.  After you select it, "Files" becomes
          a menu, but this doesn't seem to persist across sessions.

          Comments doc is attached for your reviewing pleasure...

          -K-

          Message 5 of 9 , Nov 14, 2013

            MS/TPers,

            Here are my comments on the responses:

            For comment 7423, more of description is needed for the response.

            I suggest:

            The committee’s position is that routers should support the maximum routable NPDU given the directly connected media types.  In doing so, the end user need not concern themselves  with the details of the intervening routers, other than to ensure that the router supports the protocol revision in which MSTP extended frames were added (i.e. the user need only purchase “newer” MS/TP routers.)

            For comment 7425, the response does not speak to the complete comment. Given that we know how we intend to “highlight” the procedure, I think it is reasonable to state what will be done. To this end, I suggest the following comment response:

            The committee decided to include this procedure in the standard as it has been discussed within the committee for many years as method an implementer could use to determine the inverted network problem. Given that there are alternative approaches that can be used, the committee feels it would be inappropriate to allow for the specification of this optional functionality given that there are numerous organizations that inappropriately specify functionality due to a lack of understanding of its applicability. For this reason, no BIBBs will be created for this functionality; it will remain completely optional.

            The next PPR draft will separate this new procedure into a separate section of the addendum to highlight its addition separately from the MS/TP extended frames functionality.

            Comment 7427, should be Accepted as Submitted.

            For comment 7428, the response seems to imply that we would be allowing routers to not support extended frames. I would prefer the follow:

            The committee will look into approaches to clarify NPDU size requirements for routing and non-routing MS/TP nodes for the next PPR.

            The response text for comment 7449 is insufficient. It does not state whether the proposed changes will be made or not and seems to allow future rejection of the idea. The general notes also provide no indication of what we decided to do with the comment so I cannot offer alternate language.

            Carl

            Carl Neilson

            Chair, ASHRAE SSPC 135 (aka The BACnet Committee)

            cneilson@...

            direct:   +1.604.575.5913

            This email message is directed in confidence solely to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use or disclose any information contained here. If you received this email message in error, please reply to the sender immediately and delete the message along with any associated attachments. While every effort is made to ensure safe transmissions, it is still recommended that you scan any attachments for viruses.

            Message 6 of 9 , Nov 14, 2013
              Thanks Carl.  I have integrated your suggestions into r4.

              Re: 7449, I didn't have any further detail about this decision in my notes.
              We have now discussed many times whether all future frames in the ASHRAE
              reserved range should be "Encoded Frames" (new terminology) and we always
              seem to decide in the affirmative.  The arguments in favor are technical;  MS/TP
              Encoded Frames solve the long-standing issues of a) loss of frame sync caused
              by preamble sequences in the Data or Data CRC fields, and b) a weak Data CRC.
              That's question #1.  I guess #1a is how likely are we to allocate new MS/TP
              control frames at this stage?

              If we decide again in favor of mandating that frame types 10 - 127 shall be
              Encoded Frames, then question #2 is how to allocate frame types from this
              range?  I'd argue in favor of allocating new ASHRAE (BACnet) frame types
              from the bottom of the range (as we have done for frame types 8 & 9) and
              allocating frame types from the top of the range (starting with 127 for IPv6
              encapsulation) to other SDOs.  This will not require any change in the existing
              text.

              If we decide question #1 in the negative, then we have a number of questions
              to revisit starting with the frame type assignments for Encoded BACnet Data
              and Data Expecting Reply.  We will also need to revisit if/how to do min/max
              length checks for Encoded Frames and may run into interop problems down
              the road on that issue.

              Regards, -K-

              Message 7 of 9 , Nov 15, 2013
                I just tried uploading file Add-135-2012an-PPR1-Comments-r3.docx to the Yahoo mstp group and did not have any problems at all.

                Can anyone else see it?  I am trying to determine if the Yahoo Group is functional or not.

                Cliff Copass
                Johnson Controls, Inc.
              • Kerry Lynn
                Message 8 of 9 , Nov 15, 2013
                  My apologies everyone... I tried uploading r3 yesterday and didn't check
                  to see if it actually worked (and apparently it didn't - so must therefore
                  have been an operator fail).

                  Cliff, I see it now - thanks for uploading it.

                  -K-

                  On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM, <Clifford.H.Copass@...> wrote:

                  I just tried uploading file Add-135-2012an-PPR1-Comments-r3.docx to the Yahoo mstp group and did not have any problems at all.

                  Can anyone else see it?  I am trying to determine if the Yahoo Group is functional or not.

                  Cliff Copass
                  Johnson Controls, Inc.

                • Hartman, John
                  Message 9 of 9 , Nov 15, 2013

                    I see Cliff’s upload under files.  Kerry’s copy ended up under “attachments”

                    I just tried uploading file Add-135-2012an-PPR1-Comments-r3.docx to the Yahoo mstp group and did not have any problems at all.

                    Can anyone else see it?  I am trying to determine if the Yahoo Group is functional or not.

                    Cliff Copass
                    Johnson Controls, Inc.

                    The information contained in this message is privileged and intended only for the recipients named. If the reader is not a representative of the intended recipient, any review, dissemination or copying of this message or the information it contains is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender, and delete the original message and attachments.