RE: [bacnet-mstpwg] Should a node be allowed to do more than one token retry?

  • Hartman, John
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 25 10:41 AM

      Immediately after hitting “Send”, it occurred to me that use-token-on-retry only during the ZeroConfig startup as Cliff suggests DOES have the advantage over multiple PFMs in that it means that a ZeroConfig node is less likely to step on a fixed-mac node.

      Does nothing to eliminate the chance of two ZeroConfig nodes choosing the same address and stepping on EACH OTHER, however.  Not clear how BTL could test that the address is chosen “randomly”, so the odds of competition for a given address seem high.

      The more I think about this, the more I like the You-Are service.

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 4, 2012
        Rather than increasing the number of token retries, would it make sense (in the
        case of a lost token) for ThisStation to begin the PFM cycle at NS rather than
        NS+1? This would allow just a little extra time for NS to recover from its funk
        w/o adding to the overall token rotation time. I'll appeal to the institutional
        memory to see if this has been suggested before.

        -K-

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
          I don't see how that differs much from just doing another token retry. Clause 9 specifies the same timeout (Tusage_delay, 15 msec) for a node to begin using the token or respond to a PFM; and the same timeout (Tusage_timeout, 20 to 100 msec) for the sender of the token or PFM to time out.

          So the funk-ridden device would have the same amount of time to respond to either frame.

          Actually, since maintenance PFMs are common and token retries are (hopefully) rare, some Trane devices use a longer timeout (near 100 msec) for token retries and a shorter timeout (30 to 50 msec) on PFMs. That way, if the device is just SLOW in using the token (as opposed to having not seen the token at all), we give it more time in order to avoid the pain of dropping a device from the rotation. Using a 100 msec timeout on PFM could adversely affect the link bandwidth unless max-masters is kept tight, which isn't always possible or desirable.