RE: [bacnet-mstpwg] Should a node be allowed to do more than one token retry?

  • Coleman Brumley
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 18, 2012

      What John is proposing was discussed during a meeting recently (I forget where it was, but I believe it was within context of the new baud rates or making max-master configurable). The idea was, why drop the token and start a (potentially lengthy) PFM cycle when the NS "was just there a few milliseconds ago". I agree with John that a second (or even third) token retry isn't that much more overhead, and it's actually way faster than waiting for a complete PFM cycle.

      I don't think it was discarded, but it was tabled as outside of the scope of that particular proposal. I'm all for opening the discussion on this topic again as I think the concept is beneficial to MS/TP.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 18, 2012

        My 2 cents:

        My concern with adding in retries for the token is that it makes it easier for lame implementations to slow the whole network down. I would hate to see implementation that always take 3 token passes before they pick it up.

        I expect that any device that does a reply-postponed does not go and build the response when it receives the token. The packet is built while it doesn’t have the token. When the token is received, the processing is interrupted and any queued packet is sent out. So it really should not matter that the device is busy building some other response; it is either has the packet ready to go or it doesn’t and the receipt of a token has to interrupt the normally app layer processing.

        We had no problem meeting the timing requirements back in 96, why would we have a problem now?

        Carl

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 18, 2012

          Carl,

          I see your point.

          In my experience, it's not a matter of meeting the timing. When I've seen this occur, it's usually because of some comm. error (framing, parity, collision, pick your favorite) which causes the receiving node to "miss" the token and for whatever reason sends the receiving device into a the incorrect state, then the sending guy retries and now the retry is received when the receiver isn't ready for it. So, it's more of case of "Gee, I wish the sending device had retried one more time." Sorry, but I don't have the exact transitions handy that can cause this.

          Anyway, when we talked about it, it seemed like a good idea.  That's all I'm saying.

          Coleman

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 19, 2012

            Thanks for all the responses.

            I think I am spending too much time trying to figure out how to operate on links with lame devices.  I started to write out the scenario where increasing the token retry helps (based on several third party devices that have caused us problems in the field), but it became clear that it helped because of the specific flaws in their implementation.  And as several people pointed out, increasing the retry count could CAUSE problems in some other scenarios.

            So I think that the best approach may be for me to quietly allow this as a non-compliant setting that we can configure in the field as necessary, just as we can stretch Tusage_timeout beyond 100 msec to deal with various implementations that can’t meet that (much less the 15 msec Tusage_delay they are SUPPOSED to meet).

[...]

            The information contained in this message is privileged and intended only for the recipients named. If the reader is not a representative of the intended recipient, any review, dissemination or copying of this message or the information it contains is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender, and delete the original message and attachments.
          • Steve Karg
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 23, 2012
              Hi MS/TP working group!

              Since we are discussing Token retries...

              I received some comments a week ago from an engineer (Bill) at Siemens
              (via Bernhard) on the Zero Config MS/TP proposal that is sitting in
              SSPC. He had some of the usual critique that we have already
              discussed in our working group, but he also had a small suggestion.

              He suggested having the ZeroConfiguration nodes only respond to the
              Token on the Token Retry, allowing any legitimate fixed MAC nodes
              access to the first Token. My thoughts were that this practice would
              make the MS/TP network sluggish and prone to dropped Tokens for
              ZeroConfiguration nodes, but it would provide better protection for
              fixed MAC nodes (it could even offer the full range of Master Node MAC
              addresses for ZeroConfiguration nodes).

              Thoughts?

              Steve
              --
              http://steve.kargs.net/
            • Clifford.H.Copass@jci.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 24, 2012

                I agree with the "sluggish" comment and actually believe that is an understatement.  Increasing susceptibility to dropping tokens is also true.

                To even think about this approach (which I am not convinced is the best approach overall), it would need to be limited to occasional use - such as during Zero Configuration node startup.  I don't think it should even be considered for normal operation.  We should be looking for ways to improve MS/TP performance, not thinking about changes that would cripple it.

                Cliff Copass
                Johnson Controls, Inc.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 25, 2012
                  I don't think waiting for token retry would make ZeroConfig any "safer": if there is a device with a fixed MAC at the chosen address, that device should have answered the PFM as well.

                  You might consider making the ZeroConfig node wait for MORE THAN ONE PFM of its chosen address before it takes the token. That would take longer (several PFM cycles), but in my view the delay might be a good thing: if a bunch of nodes from various vendors have just powered up after a building power event, they are likely to have different boot times. Waiting longer before "stealing" an address gives all nodes more time to boot up monitor or join the link under their pre-assigned addresses before the ZeroConfig free for all.

                  I have a number of problems with the proposed ZeroConfig in general (I like the you-are proposal much better):

                  1) The algorithm stretches the current state-machine description beyond the breaking point. The Extended Frame addendum makes things complicated, but ZeroConfig is beyond that. If we want to go with ZeroConfig, I think we need a new method of description. Maybe pseudo-code. There must be other standards with a format we could use.

                  2) Once a node starts talking at an address, my experience leads me to be skeptical of a node reliably detecting that there is someone else at the same address. If the node has any kind of protection circuitry (series PTCs or the like), it typically won't see conflicts while it is transmitting. When a token is sent to an address, any and all nodes that think they own the address will begin talking more or less at once. When they send, the recipient(s) MAY see CRC errors due to collision. Or they may see the message from the node next door swamping out the message from the guy at the other end of the long cable.

                  I presume that the purpose of sending the Test message is to hope for a collision. I guess we would get a chance to see how many people have actually IMPLEMENTED Test...

                  I suspect that you already have an implementation of this running. And with a bunch of devices from one vendor, it might even work pretty well. But with nodes from various vendors I am skeptical.

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 25, 2012

                    Immediately after hitting “Send”, it occurred to me that use-token-on-retry only during the ZeroConfig startup as Cliff suggests DOES have the advantage over multiple PFMs in that it means that a ZeroConfig node is less likely to step on a fixed-mac node.

                    Does nothing to eliminate the chance of two ZeroConfig nodes choosing the same address and stepping on EACH OTHER, however.  Not clear how BTL could test that the address is chosen “randomly”, so the odds of competition for a given address seem high.

                    The more I think about this, the more I like the You-Are service.

                    I agree with the "sluggish" comment and actually believe that is an understatement.  Increasing susceptibility to dropping tokens is also true.

                    To even think about this approach (which I am not convinced is the best approach overall), it would need to be limited to occasional use - such as during Zero Configuration node startup.  I don't think it should even be considered for normal operation.  We should be looking for ways to improve MS/TP performance, not thinking about changes that would cripple it.

                    Cliff Copass
                    Johnson Controls, Inc.

                    Steve Karg <steve@...>

                    bacnet-mstpwg@yahoogroups.com

                    07/23/2012 11:02 AM

[...]

                  • kerlyn2001
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 4, 2012
                      Rather than increasing the number of token retries, would it make sense (in the
                      case of a lost token) for ThisStation to begin the PFM cycle at NS rather than
                      NS+1? This would allow just a little extra time for NS to recover from its funk
                      w/o adding to the overall token rotation time. I'll appeal to the institutional
                      memory to see if this has been suggested before.

                      -K-

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
                        I don't see how that differs much from just doing another token retry. Clause 9 specifies the same timeout (Tusage_delay, 15 msec) for a node to begin using the token or respond to a PFM; and the same timeout (Tusage_timeout, 20 to 100 msec) for the sender of the token or PFM to time out.

                        So the funk-ridden device would have the same amount of time to respond to either frame.

                        Actually, since maintenance PFMs are common and token retries are (hopefully) rare, some Trane devices use a longer timeout (near 100 msec) for token retries and a shorter timeout (30 to 50 msec) on PFMs. That way, if the device is just SLOW in using the token (as opposed to having not seen the token at all), we give it more time in order to avoid the pain of dropping a device from the rotation. Using a 100 msec timeout on PFM could adversely affect the link bandwidth unless max-masters is kept tight, which isn't always possible or desirable.