191Re: [bacnet-mstpwg] obtaining an MS/TP Frame Type

  • Dave Robin
    Jan 6, 2014
      When I approached ASHRAE with this idea a while ago, we tentatively agreed to do exactly as Kerry outlined below.  i.e. they get the request, forward it to us for technical evaluation, and then they respond to the requestor.  They also agreed to keep the listing in a spreadsheet exactly as they do for vendor IDs.  And, just as for vendor IDs, they will forward notice of new ones to the current chair and to Mike Newman who will update bacnet.org.

      In other words, they will handle it exactly the same as vendor IDs with the exception of deferring the technical-merit decision to us in the middle of the process.

      Dave

      On Jan 6, 2014, at 5:34 PM, Kerry Lynn <kerlyn2001@...> wrote:

      Hi all,

      I've clipped the bottom (135-2012an related stuff) off this thread to focus on the
      Frame Type allocation procedure and added some comments inline.  Probably
      still best to read up from the bottom...

      On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 10:59 AM, H. Michael Newman <hmn2@...> wrote:

      I would not want to delegate a technical task to ASHRAE of this sort. I would favor such requests being handled by, for example, the MS/TP-WG within the committee.

      I thought there might need to be coordination between ASHRAE and SSPC 135 on
      this (since technically ASHRAE reserves/allocates the Frame Types).  I imagined
      that the ASHRAE manager of standards would receive any requests and then forward
      them to the chair of SSPC 135 for expert review.  Once a decision has been reached,
      the chair of SSPC 135 would send the response back to ASHRAE for ratification and
      then to the manager of standards who would respond to the original requester.

      I would be delighted to put up a page on BACnet.org with the issued frametype extensions and we could direct applicants to the appropriate contact from the website (and get ASHRAE staff to direct people to the website as well).

      That would be great.  Perhaps the entry for a given Frame Type could also include
      a link to the associated protocol specification (RFC or equivalent).

      Mike