167RE: [bacnet-mstpwg] RE: Teleconference Announcement [1 Attachment]

  • Carl Neilson
    Nov 14, 2013

      MS/TPers,

      Here are my comments on the responses:

      For comment 7423, more of description is needed for the response.

      I suggest:

      The committee’s position is that routers should support the maximum routable NPDU given the directly connected media types.  In doing so, the end user need not concern themselves  with the details of the intervening routers, other than to ensure that the router supports the protocol revision in which MSTP extended frames were added (i.e. the user need only purchase “newer” MS/TP routers.)

      For comment 7425, the response does not speak to the complete comment. Given that we know how we intend to “highlight” the procedure, I think it is reasonable to state what will be done. To this end, I suggest the following comment response:

      The committee decided to include this procedure in the standard as it has been discussed within the committee for many years as method an implementer could use to determine the inverted network problem. Given that there are alternative approaches that can be used, the committee feels it would be inappropriate to allow for the specification of this optional functionality given that there are numerous organizations that inappropriately specify functionality due to a lack of understanding of its applicability. For this reason, no BIBBs will be created for this functionality; it will remain completely optional.

      The next PPR draft will separate this new procedure into a separate section of the addendum to highlight its addition separately from the MS/TP extended frames functionality.

      Comment 7427, should be Accepted as Submitted.

      For comment 7428, the response seems to imply that we would be allowing routers to not support extended frames. I would prefer the follow:

      The committee will look into approaches to clarify NPDU size requirements for routing and non-routing MS/TP nodes for the next PPR.

      The response text for comment 7449 is insufficient. It does not state whether the proposed changes will be made or not and seems to allow future rejection of the idea. The general notes also provide no indication of what we decided to do with the comment so I cannot offer alternate language.

      Carl

      Carl Neilson

      Chair, ASHRAE SSPC 135 (aka The BACnet Committee)

      cneilson@...

      direct:   +1.604.575.5913

      This email message is directed in confidence solely to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use or disclose any information contained here. If you received this email message in error, please reply to the sender immediately and delete the message along with any associated attachments. While every effort is made to ensure safe transmissions, it is still recommended that you scan any attachments for viruses.