BACnet/IPv6 Variable Scope Address

  • Coleman Brumley
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23, 2010

      BACneteers,

      IANA has assigned BACnet an IPv6 variable scope multicast address.  The assigned address is FF0X:0:0:0:0:0:0:BAC0.

      http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-multicast-addresses/ipv6-multicast-addresses.xhtml

      Best Regards,

      Coleman Brumley

      Convener, BACnet IP-WG

    • Kerry Lynn
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 23, 2010
        Coleman,

        This is pretty cool.  I note, in looking through the registry, that
        there is at least one address in this class available for
        experimentation - FF0X:0:0:0:0:0:0:114.  I had mentioned
        RFC 4605 (IGMP/MLD Proxying) at the Atlanta meeting as
        a possible way to begin experimenting with v6 multicast.  From
        what I can tell, these devices are similar in function to BBMDs
        and would allow us to at least begin experimenting with
        small deployments.  I believe this open source project is
        one such implementation: http://fivebits.net/proj/mrd6/

        Regards, -K-