BI-040 Update

  • Isler, Bernhard
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2013
    • 1 Attachment
    • 655 KB

    Hi all,

    Attached is the update of BI-040. From the revision history:

    -       Minor tweaks and amendments in the Proposed Solution section.

    -       Avoid the term "classic" in changes to the standard. Use BIN as qualifier for current BACnet.

    -       Cleanup of glossary and consistent use of terms.

    -       Added new Clause 4 content for the ITB protocol architecture.

    -       Adaptations to the terminology used in Clauses 4 and 5 regarding the protocol architecture and the application layer.

    -       Combined resolution and discovery to become the directory.

    -       Removed the virtual Group Coordinator concept.

    -       Allow multiple protocols for disseminating requests to a group.

    -       Revised the DNS-SD based discovery. DNS service names are freely assignable, not a BACnet UID.

    -       Incorporation of ITB Proxy specification from BI-041 still pending.

    For better viewing, you may select “Final” in the “Review” tab.

    For the coming meeting I would appreciate any comments. Feel free to provide comments anytime either to me or the Yahoo group. The meeting will offer face-to-face discussion of comments.

    Best Regards,

    Bernhard

    Bernhard Isler

    Siemens Switzerland Ltd

    Building Technologies Division

    Control Products & Systems
    IC BT CPS R&D AS
    Gubelstrasse 22
    6300 Zug, Switzerland
    Tel.: +41 41 724 3387
    Mobile: +41 79 561 7723
    mailto:bernhard.isler@...

  • James F. Butler
    Message 2 of 6 , Oct 30, 2013
      Dear IT-WG members,

      We will discuss BI-040 at our face-to-face meeting at Georgia Tech (Atlanta) on Tuesday, November 5, from 1-3 p.m. Eastern.  Please review the document prior to our meeting.

      If you are unable to be in Atlanta but you would like to participate in the meeting remotely, you can do so using WebEx.  Please write to me directly and I will send you call-in information.

      Regards,

      - Jim Butler
        Cimetrics Inc.

      Message 3 of 6 , Mar 10, 2014
      • 1 Attachment
      • 975 KB

      IT-WG,

      Attached is the updated proposal BI-040-8 for discussion in the coming IT-WG teleconference. For the updates made so far, see also the history of revisions:

      Rev 8

      2014-03-10

      Revised for IT-WG teleconference March 2014. Insignificant language corrections are not marked up. The section in ITB Proxy (ZZ.7) is not yet updated.

      -       Incorporated resolutions of comments from the New York IT-WG meeting and individual commenters (Thanks to Jerry for comments).

      -       BACnet UET renamed to be Scope ID

      -       Scope ID is now a regular 16 octet UUID as of RFC 4122

      -       DNS style syntax for BACnet UID formalized, examples added

      -       Remove implied device capability information from the BACnet UID, to better support migration scenarios. Less BACnet UID  types.

      -       Added a forwarding credits parameter to ITB Messages to a device group.

      -       Clarified ITB primitives parameters, and ITB Message contents in message exchange.

      -       Substantial changes in various group communication aspects

      -       Extended DNS-SD discovery to show the records involved, and added examples.

      For the teleconference on Wednesday March 14, 11:30am EDT, I would like to specifically discuss the following topics:

      - Changes in preamble section of Annex, ZZ

      - BACnet Device Group concepts & language, ZZ.1.1.2

      - Scope / Address space / Site ID replacing BACnet UET, ZZ.1.2

      - Formal definition of Textual Representation of the BACnet UID,  ZZ.1.2.1

      - Messaging Interface, ZZ.2.1

      - Service Initiation and Execution, primitives called and message definitions, ZZ.2.2

      - Limitation of number of forwards by group coordinators, ZZ.2.2, ZZ.2.3

      - Additions on group membership configuration, ZZ.4.1

      - HTTP data model, ZZ.5. No change yet, needs discussion

      - Service instance name, ZZ.6

      - any other comment resolutions and changes

      Best Regards,

      Bernhard

      Bernhard Isler

      Siemens Switzerland Ltd
      Building Technologies Division
      Control Products & Systems
      IC BT CPS R&D AS
      Gubelstrasse 22
      6300 Zug, Switzerland
      Tel.: +41 41 724 3387
      Mobile: +41 79 561 7723
      mailto:bernhard.isler@...

      Important notice: This e-mail and any attachment thereof contain corporate proprietary information. If you have received it by mistake, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and delete this e-mail and its attachments from your system. Thank you.

    • Isler, Bernhard
      Message 4 of 6 , Jun 22, 2014
      • 1 Attachment
      • 1.1 MB

      Hi all,

      Attached is an update of BI-040 to be reviewed in the coming IT-WG face-to-face meeting on Saturday June 28, 3:00pm at the Seattle Sheraton, Grand Ballroom B.

      From the Change History:

      Revised for IT-WG meeting Seattle June 2014.

      -       Complete redesign and rewrite of the architecture clause 4.X, introduction of the Abstract Network Services Layer. This now includes the current protocol stack.

      -       Introduction of the Abstract Network Services Layer and Network Services Bindings, replacing the former ITB layer.

      -       In consequence many things got renamed to get a consistent nomenclature.

      -       Removed comments from Jerry and respective resolution markups where resolution is considered accepted.

      -       Resolved many comments from Philippe.

      -       Directory service extended to also include objet name based discovery and enable semantic tags discovery to be added later.

      -       Restructuring document to better match the architecture and better extensibility

      Not yet done in this revision for adapting to new architecture:

      -       General network services bindings definitions

      -       BACnet Transport Binding and Directory Binding contents adaptation

      -       BIN Proxy (former ITB Proxy) to be adapted to new architecture and nomenclature

      -       HTTP Bindings to be adapted and completed

      -       DNS-SD Binding to be adapted and completed

      -       Resolve remaining comments from Philippe

      Textual amendments for consistency are not shown as markup always, to improve readability of the document.

      Unfortunately, I was running out of time to adapt the whole document to the new architecture, closing known gaps and resolve open issues and comments. The new architecture is introduced to resolve some fundamental comments received in Florida. The adaptation to this new architecture causes ways more effort to incorporate than originally thought, but even after many hours of work I am still convinced it is justified and reasonable. Also, there is still a plenty of comments out of a lot more I got from Philippe that wait to be resolved.

      This major revision provides a viable foundation for a sound architecture, clear nomenclature, and detail specifications.

      However, for the Seattle IT-WG meeting we should use the 2 hours for reviewing and discussing the new architecture approach, so as to have a more stable and agreed upon foundation. Further work is still required to complete the document and it being voted out for a public review.

      See you in Seattle,

      Message 5 of 6 , Jul 31, 2014

        Dear BACnet IT-WG members,

        We will be scheduling web conferences in September and October to continue our discussion of BI-040-10 (or an updated version).  Our next face-to-face meeting will probably be held in Atlanta during the week of November 3-7, 2014.

        In the meantime, I encourage you to look at BI-040-10, which introduces the Abstract Network Services Layer.  Bernhard will be glad to receive your feedback.

        Regards,

        - Jim Butler

          Convener, BACnet IT-WG

        Message 6 of 6 , Oct 31, 2014
        • 1 Attachment
        • 1.2 MB

        Hi all,

        Attached is the updated version of BI-040.

        Unfortunately, I was not able to spend sufficient time to make a complete update. Many known items need to be done still.

        However, for the face-to-face meeting, we should focus on:

        - Comments on the current content of the document

        - Open issues list and in-line open items (search for ‘???’)

        See you in Atlanta,

        Bernhard

        Bernhard Isler

        Siemens Switzerland Ltd