IPv6 proposal top review in Long Beach

  • Roland Laird
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 19, 2007
      IPv6 proposal top review in Long Beach

      <<RL-003-5.doc>>

      Roland Laird

      Reliable Controls Corporation   www.reliablecontrols.com

      120 Hallowell Road              T. Free:        (877) 475-9301

      Victoria, British Columbia      Tel:    (250) 475-2036

      Canada V9A 7K2          Fax:    (250) 475-2096

      CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information and/or documents contained in this transmission may contain confidential or proprietary information (business or technical data). The information is solely for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, any action in reliance or other use of the contents of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please send a return email and delete this email from your system.

    • James F. Butler
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 27, 2007
        IPv6 proposal top review in Long Beach

        Dear BACnet/IP work group members,

        As directed by the working group, I spoke to the Japanese delegation present at the SSPC 135 meeting in Long Beach about BACnet and IPv6.  This followed the discussion of RL-003-5 at the IP-WG meeting in Long Beach .

        There are currently a few projects in Japan that use BACnet over IPv6 within a building.  The large Japanese telecommunications company NTT is a strong proponent of IPv6.  Site Local IPv6 addresses and Unique Local IPv6 addresses are used.  No BBMDs are being used on these projects—broadcasts are transmitted using a multicast address.  Mr. Nakamura said that multicast capability is common in IPv6 networks, and the use of multicast to span subnets would be preferable over the use of BBMDs.

        We discussed the possibility of BACnet communication between buildings over IPv6, but it appears that this is not yet being done in Japan .

        I introduced the VMAC address concept, and I asked for their opinion about it.  They were not aware of this concept, but they said that they would read about VMAC addresses in RL-003-6 and provide feedback.  (Note: There is also a description of the VMAC concept in CW-001-7.)

        - Jim Butler