Add 135-2012AJ PPR3 Draft 24 has been uploaded

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2013

      I’ve uploaded the latest Add. AJ (B/IPv6) to the Yahoo site. It’s under the Files section in the Add. AJ folder.

      This version:

      1)      Contains editorial changes to clause X.4.4

      2)      The definition text for “B/IPv6 multicast domain” has been changed for clarity.

      3)      Clause X.1.1.2 language regarding UDP port has been combined and simplified for clarity.

      If you have editorial changes, please email them to me directly. If possible, I’d like to get any changes made my Monday evening to discuss this in a Tuesday telco.

    • Clifford H Copass
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 9, 2013

        I am looking over this and noticed some things that seem a bit "off".

        1 - Page 2; X.1.1.1 IPv6 Addressing; near the bottom

        In the first block for prefix, there are "n bits" in the "(sub-)network prefix".

        In the second block showing " The subnet prefix is further broken down into the global routing prefix and the subnet ID.", the global routing prefix and subnet ID consume 64 bits rather than "n" and the interface ID now consumes 64 bits instead of "128-n".

        I don't know enough about IPv6 to know which one is more accurate, but it seems like the interface ID is either a fixed size field of 64 bits or else a variable size field of 128-n bits.  I don't see how it can be both.

        2 - Page 3; near the top

        " For example, the prefix FE80::/10 indicates…"  Is that a "(sub-)network prefix" or a "global routing prefix"?  We should say which one, i.e. " For example, the global routing prefix FE80::/10 indicates…".

        3 - Page 3; X.1.1.1.1 I{v6 Address Notation

        In paragraph one, the example address is " 2001:0DB8:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0001" while in paragraph two and three, "the example address" is expressed as " 2001:DB8:1111:2222::1".  I don't see how these can be the same example address.  Perhaps the first example should be corrected.

        Also, I would like to see this information moved earlier so the X.1.1.1 IPv6 Addressing text already has this as part of its introductory material.  That way there is no uncertainty about what "… the prefix FE80::/10…" means.  Alternately, maybe the prefix could simply be something like "…the ten bit global routing prefix FE80 indicates…" so the special notation does not appear until it is explained.  By the way, I don't see an explaination of what the "/10" part means at all.

        4 - (same)

        The reference about " RFC 3986" seems to explain a lot about "URI Generic Syntax" but nothing much about numeric IPv6 address notation.  Perhaps it should have been " RFC4291".

        I am still reading, but will send this much off to potentially save some time.

        Cliff Copass

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 9, 2013

          One more apparent typo - Page 8; X.2.13.1 refers to "six fields" - I only see five.

          This is in addition to the list from earlier today.

          Cliff Copass