BACnet/SSL (JB-016-2.doc)

  • James F. Butler
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2005
      At the meeting last week in Norfolk, the BACnet/IP working group
      discussed JB-016-1, a document that outlines some usage scenarios and
      requirements for a new point-to-point protocol for BACnet that uses SSL.
      The attached document (JB-016-2) reflects that discussion, with
      significant changes highlighted.

      There was some discussion in Norfolk about the differences between SSL
      and TLS. Here is what RFC 2246 says: "This document and the TLS
      protocol itself are based on the SSL 3.0 Protocol Specification as
      published by Netscape. The differences between this protocol and SSL 3.0
      are not dramatic, but they are significant enough that TLS 1.0 and SSL
      3.0 do not interoperate (although TLS 1.0 does incorporate a mechanism
      by which a TLS implementation can back down to SSL 3.0)." It seems
      reasonable for BACnet/SSL to be designed to support both SSL and TLS as
      transports.

      I hope to have a complete design document for review at our meeting in
      January 2006. I would appreciate input from people who have some
      knowledge about the requirements or design issues.

      Thanks,

      - Jim Butler