Network Port Object

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 15, 2012

      In the network port object, the Network_Type property is read-only.

      While this makes sense for most port types, it does not make sense for B/IP, B/IPv6, and virtual. In these cases there is no limit to the number that can be created and in creating them, one must have a way to set the Network_Type (which of these three types will the port be)?

      Did we make a mistake in requiring this property be read-only?

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 15, 2012

        If the port is created via the CreateObject service, then wouldn't the Network_Type be specified as one of the initial values conveyed in that service?

        Do you really want to go from B/IP to MS/TP on the fly?

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 15, 2012

          Clients should not be required to provide properties during a create; properties that need to be writable need to be writable after create.

          In our products the NP will be auto-created for each hardware port. For B/IP and B/IPv6, the user is allowed to create and delete these at will. In those that the user creates, the Network_Type field should be writable and restricted to B/IP or B/IPv6.

          We can achieve this in a proprietary way, by adding a proprietary property that mirrors Network_Type and is writable. But should I have to?

          Carl

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 16, 2013

            BACneteers,

            Our development team is looking at the Network Port object and they have requested the ability to mark the object as being a non-BACnet port.

            The Network_Type field allows proprietary values, but there is not a standard one that indicates that the port is in use for a non-BACnet purpose. If we could add in “non-BACnet” as a Network_Type, then it would be clear. And other vendor’s products would be able to tell that the port is in use but not for BACnet and would not represent it as proprietary media BACnet port.

            Carl

            Carl Neilson, Project Manager

            Delta Controls Inc.

            direct:   +1.604.575.5913

          • Donaldson, Stuart (WA26)
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 16, 2013

              Carl,

              What would you propose the description of the non-BACnet type be?  Are you saying you want to use the Network Port for some totally unrelated port, so you can manage some aspects but that overall the port is not BACnet and any use of that particular network port object is proprietary?

              -Stuart-

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 16, 2013

                Yes.

                And also, in the case where a port can be either BACnet or something else (ModBus, KNX, etc), setting the type Network_Type to non-BACnet allows the user to see  that the port is in use.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 19, 2013

                  I understand that this would be useful to Delta (or perhaps to any other single vendor), but how is it useful interoperably?

                  Seems to me that the Network Port object is too complicated as it is, and this adds another layer of complexity.  For example the introductory sentence in 12.X says

                  The Network Port object provides access to the configuration and properties of network ports of a device. All BACnet devices shall contain one Network Port object per port.

                  So if “non-BACnet” becomes a legal value, does that mean that I MUST have a Network Port object for EVERY port, BACnet or not?  Does that include my debug RS-232 port?  My VPN virtual ports?

                  What value would the required Network_Number property have for a proprietary port?  If my device is a BACnet router, Network_Number is required writable.

                  Would Reliability and Out_Of_Service be expected to function for “non-BACnet”?

                  Would Command (ACTIVATE, RESTART_PORT, etc) be expected to function for “non-BACnet”?

                  And similar details for the remaining properties and language of the Addendum

                  Our development team is looking at the Network Port object and they have requested the ability to mark the object as being a non-BACnet port.

                  The Network_Type field allows proprietary values, but there is not a standard one that indicates that the port is in use for a non-BACnet purpose. If we could add in “non-BACnet” as a Network_Type, then it would be clear. And other vendor’s products would be able to tell that the port is in use but not for BACnet and would not represent it as proprietary media BACnet port.

                  Carl

                  Carl Neilson, Project Manager

                  Delta Controls Inc.

                  direct:   +1.604.575.5913

                  The information contained in this message is privileged and intended only for the recipients named. If the reader is not a representative of the intended recipient, any review, dissemination or copying of this message or the information it contains is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender, and delete the original message and attachments.
                • David Robin
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 19, 2013
                    I think I agree.  From BACnet's point of view, a non-BACnet port is simply "not in use", not "in use but not BACnet".  The big difference between the two is all the related properties and functions that John points out below.  Questions like "Can I change its IP address even though it's non-BACnet?" will continue to come up, even after we think we're done.  So, I think "In use but not BACnet" is too hard to define and probably should not be allowed.

                    BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, I don't actually see a way to be "not in use" other than setting Out_Of_Service true???  The language refers three times to "enabled Network Port" objects but doesn't say what that means; specifically, how one can be "disabled".

                    Should we just change the proposed of  "Non-BACnet" to "Disabled" and solve both problems?

                    Dave

[...]

                    <image001.png>Carl Neilson, Project Manager

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 19, 2013

                      It is interoperable in that anyone would be able to easily determine which ports the product has, and be able to enable / disable, check MAC addresses, IP address etc.

                      So if I make a BACnet <-> N2 gateway and there are two ports, and one says N2. I am pretty sure that the user will be able to figure out what the second port is doing.

                      I fail to see how this would not be interoperable.

                      Regarding use for non-BACnet ports:

                                      All BACnet devices shall contain one Network Port object per BACnet port. It is a local matter whether, or not, the Network Port object is used for non-BACnet ports.

                      For Network_Number:

                      If the Network_Type is PTP or non-BACnet, then this property shall be read only and contain a value of 0.

                      Carl

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 30, 2013
                        We are the verge of adding so much optionality to this object that it has the potential to be an interoperability nightmare.

                        I agree with Carl’s use case, but I also agree that it adds an element, which if we’re not careful, can lead to some confusion for implementers. Because, you know, there’s not enough confusion with this object already.

                        Anyway, let’s get an idea of what (albeit limited) audience wants and we’ll go from there. Sounds like we have 2 against and 1 for so far. I’m abstaining until we get some more feedback.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 30, 2013

                          I can see Carl’s point and agree that it does add another layer of potential confusion.  I think we should add it and discuss further in Atlanta.

                          Mike