"BACnet IT" concept paper

  • James F. Butler
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 17, 2009

    Dear BACnet developers,

    Cimetrics has been working on a vision for how BACnet could be updated in recognition of the increasing convergence between building automation systems and IT systems.  Attached is a two-page paper that summarizes our views on why we believe that a new version of BACnet based on IT networking standards is needed.

    The development of a new version of BACnet would be a major project that would divert resources from other worthwhile BACnet development projects.  Nonetheless, we believe that this is a project that is worthy of serious consideration by the BACnet community.  We welcome your feedback.

    - Jim Butler

      Cimetrics Inc.

  • Buddy Lott
    Message 2 of 3 , Jun 17, 2009

      Jim,

      I read through the document and want to make sure I understand what you are proposing.

      Are you proposing a BACNet version that uses IP (v4 or v6) end to end? In other words, every device in the “network” would have an IP address?

      Are you proposing a BACNet version that still uses UDP/IP or a protocol using raw IP?

      If IP is used end-to-end, then what services would the “BACnet IT” network layer provided that are not already provided by various IT services?

      Thanks,

      Buddy Lott
      Firmware Design Engineer
      19476 Industrial Dr .
      New Paris , IN 46553
      574.831.5250 x 8197
      blott@...

      Message 3 of 3 , Jun 17, 2009

        Hello Buddy,

        Thanks for your interest in the “BACnet IT” concept.  Although it would be interesting to discuss the relative merits of various design options, I don’t think that is what we should be doing yet.

        I believe that it is important for the BACnet committee to consider the communication requirements for building automation systems over the next 10 years.  If BACnet is to have a bright future, it must address those requirements better than competing technologies.  The BACnet development community has limited resources, and we need to make sure that those resources are used to greatest effect.  If after due consideration the BACnet committee decides that something like BACnet IT is needed, then we can start a project within the BACnet committee to develop the BACnet IT concept into a formal change proposal.

        Regards,

        - Jim Butler