RE: [bacnet-ip-wg] SGD-004-05 - Network Object

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2006

      Stuart,

      I have a few comments on the network object document:

      - Under table 12-13 there is a footnote indicateing that "MAC_Address" "May be writable for MS/TP networks." Any property in the standard may be writable unless explicitly restricted. If the intent is to only allow it to be writable for MS/TP then the footnote should be changed. I would not support such an approach (it should be allowed to be writable for any medium, IMHO).

      - In a number of places the text indicates "...the MAC_Address will the IP address... " which is incorrect. It will be the IP adress and the IP port - in a specific order which I don't recall right at this moment.

      - X.12 Baud_Rate - "This property in only applicable if the Network_Type is MS/TP" Applicable or present? Would this not also make sense for PTP? Or even Ethernet if you can query the card to determine if it is 10/100/1000? Maybe it should contain a specific value if the baud-rate is either not known or not applicable.

      - IP_DHCP_Enable - The language for this property should be changed to be similar to the language that is used for Enable in other objects.

      - Media_Instance - How does one relate the Media Instance to an actual hardware port in cases where the OS does not provide a 0 based instance (such as where the OS provides strings instead). Would it not be better to accomplish this mapping information through user documentation and/or Descirption/Object_Name property values?

      Carl

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2006

        All,

        I am a new comer to the group and I haven’t been able to find SGD-004-05 on the ftp.bacnet.org site and yahoogroups doesn’t seem to store attachments email in the email history.

        Can some one send it to me? The last few emails would make more sense if I had the context.

        Thank you,

        Buddy Lott
        Firmware Design Engineer
        19476 Industrial Dr .
        New Paris , IN 46553
        574.831.5250 x 197
        blott@...

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2006

          Here it is.

          Here is an updated version of SGD-004 with some additional use cases and resolving some issues that those brought up.

          I realize that we don't have a lot of time in Chicago , but it would be great if we have an opportunity to discuss this.  Otherwise, I will gladly accept comments via e-mail.

          Cheers...

          -Stuart Donaldson-
          Software Engineering Lead
          Alerton / Honeywell
          Redmond , Washington
          425-869-8400

        • Leslie Douglas Lott
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 7, 2006
            All,

            Please accept my apologies if I cover any ground that has already
            been covered.

            1) When I first heard of a "Network Object" proprosal, my first
            assumption was that this would be used to show network status (like
            busy, down, available, etc). I think the name is misleading and a
            better name might be NIC or NetworkConnection object. I won't argue
            the point too much.

            2) I don't understand point 2 in the overview and am not sure it
            matters. From a programming perspective (I am a software/firmware
            engineer after all):
            a) most OSs I have programmed with supply a function that takes a
            string and determines if it is a hostname or ip address and acts
            appropiately to come up with the "net-ready" address. Internet
            Explorer and Netscape both do this.
            b)ALL communication across the IP network is done with the IP
            address (hostnames are for user convience). The sending device/os is
            responsibiliy for using DNS to resolve a host name to an IP address.
            c) Many OSs have a DNS cache that can get out of date. Try
            typing "ipconfig /displaydns" in a Windows command prompt and you
            can see for yourself. This means that error recover becomes an issue
            when using hostnames.

            3) I don't agree with the paragraph at the top of page 3 about
            binding to the enet adapter when DHCP is used. Windows and at least
            1 RTOS I have programmed with seem to have notification message that
            can notify high level functionality of DHCP changes (of course,
            someone or something has to be watching). Assuming that this is
            true, a device could send a new I-am (or I-Am-Router-To-Network) on
            addresse changes without having to bind to the enet adapter. The
            real trick is with respect to BBMDs and FDs.

            4) IP can be built on a wide variety of layer 1&2 protocols (PPP is
            a good example). It sounds like we are assuming that it always exist
            in conjunction with an Ethernet adapter. Is this really valid
            assumption?

            _
            > This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security
            System.

            _