354RE: Network Port Object

  • Hartman, John
    Jul 19, 2013

      I understand that this would be useful to Delta (or perhaps to any other single vendor), but how is it useful interoperably?

      Seems to me that the Network Port object is too complicated as it is, and this adds another layer of complexity.  For example the introductory sentence in 12.X says

      The Network Port object provides access to the configuration and properties of network ports of a device. All BACnet devices shall contain one Network Port object per port.

      So if “non-BACnet” becomes a legal value, does that mean that I MUST have a Network Port object for EVERY port, BACnet or not?  Does that include my debug RS-232 port?  My VPN virtual ports?

      What value would the required Network_Number property have for a proprietary port?  If my device is a BACnet router, Network_Number is required writable.

      Would Reliability and Out_Of_Service be expected to function for “non-BACnet”?

      Would Command (ACTIVATE, RESTART_PORT, etc) be expected to function for “non-BACnet”?

      And similar details for the remaining properties and language of the Addendum