133RE: [bacnet-ip-wg] Internet Protocol Version 6 familiarization

    Jan 4, 2010

      Hi Jim,

      I had hoped to add support for the different broadcast types (anycast, multicast, etc.) in this revision of the document and really examine how the use of broadcasting will be affected by the use IPv6.

      However, it doesn't look like we'll have time (for this revision of the proposal) to accomplish that or address any wish list items due to the requirement of getting this out to public review quickly.  See my email on 1-Dec-2009 titled "RE: IPv6 presents an opportunity for elimination of broadcast".

      Do we honestly think we can reach consensus on something as big as broadcasts in 2 hours?

      I certainly understand the need to get this out to public review for the Smart Grid work -- and I don't disagree with it.  However, I think we're missing the boat on some other important opportunities here.

      Coleman