Water Treatment/filter for backpacking with kids

  • Erin Crouch
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2005
      Hello, Do any of you have a recommendation for a water treatment or
      filter to use when backpacking with kids? I am looking for a lightweight
      one but I know that kids can sometimes be picky with what they will eat or
      drink. Thanks, Erin

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2005
        add a little lemon (crystal lite ) to the water. Dehydration with kids
        is a big problem. I use gatorade powder to get some electrolites into
        them also.

        Ralph Scoutmaster

        On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 13:02:57 -0600, Erin Crouch <erin@...> wrote:

        > Hello, Do any of you have a recommendation for a water treatment or
        > filter to use when backpacking with kids? I am looking for a lightweight
        > one but I know that kids can sometimes be picky with what they will eat or
        > drink. Thanks, Erin

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Dr. Reverend
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2005
          I like the MSR mini works. Just screw in the water bottle and pump.
          You might even could let them do it if old enough.

          http://www.msrcorp.com/filters/longevity.asp

          Brian

          > On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 13:02:57 -0600, Erin Crouch <erin@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > Hello, Do any of you have a recommendation for a water treatment or
          > > filter to use when backpacking with kids? I am looking for a lightweight
          > > one but I know that kids can sometimes be picky with what they will eat
          > or
          > > drink. Thanks, Erin

        • Shane Steinkamp
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2005
            > Hello, Do any of you have a recommendation for a water treatment or
            > filter to use when backpacking with kids? I am looking for a lightweight
            > one but I know that kids can sometimes be picky with what they will eat or
            > drink. Thanks, Erin

            I use the Pur Hiker, which is now the Kathadin Hiker.

            http://www.purwaterfilter.com/purhikpursys.html

            There are reviews on www.backpackgeartest.org

            Shane
          • Emma Eyeball
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 3, 2005
              we also use the MiniWorks. it's the only one we've ever used, so i
              can't make comparisons, but it's a great and solid filter.

              when we're kid-free i just use Aqua Mira or iodine, but whe we have
              the kid along the extra weight of a filter is worth it. can't take
              any chances with those little digestive systems!

              --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Reverend"