Welcome New Members

  • Emma Eyeball
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
      I know that several of you have come over from the BackpackGeartest
      list. welcome to our little community - we now have 93 subscribers
      to the list! this is fantastic and is more than i ever expected for
      our very tiny beginnings.

      does anybody have anything fun coming up? i'm taking Paul (my 2.5
      year old son, for those of you who are new) out to the desert this
      Friday & Saturday. we'll be helping to clean up a campground that
      was damaged in the flash flooding back in August.

      and the weekend after that, i'm taking Paul on his first backpacking
      trip where i expect him to walk most of the way. it will once again
      be in the desert, and will be with a group from my local hiking
      club. my sister may even come along, for her first backpacking trip
      ever.

      anybody else?
    • the ference's
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
        Hello everybody!
        Avid Hiker,Climber,Mountaineer from Vegas. I have 6 children and all but the oldest (who's in college) are active
        Hikers / Campers. Lucky for them , if they were'nt I'd be forced to trade them in. We enjoy hiking/Camping in the Red Rock area. Their true love has to be the Spring Mountains! When the snow is flying they ask about our next outing on a daily basis. If anyone is ever in the Las Vegas area give be a buzz and I'll gladly recommend some kid friendly hikes.
        Chris
        I know that several of you have come over from the BackpackGeartest
        list. welcome to our little community - we now have 93 subscribers
        to the list! this is fantastic and is more than i ever expected for
        our very tiny beginnings.

        does anybody have anything fun coming up? i'm taking Paul (my 2.5
        year old son, for those of you who are new) out to the desert this
        Friday & Saturday. we'll be helping to clean up a campground that
        was damaged in the flash flooding back in August.

        and the weekend after that, i'm taking Paul on his first backpacking
        trip where i expect him to walk most of the way. it will once again
        be in the desert, and will be with a group from my local hiking
        club. my sister may even come along, for her first backpacking trip
        ever.

        anybody else?

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Get unlimited calls to

        U.S./Canada

      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2004
          Hey Emma and anyone else with kids at the super slow walking age. I
          recently bought my little guy one of those 4 in 1 survival whistles.
          It's yellow so it's easy to find, it has a whistle, compass,
          thermometer, and magnifying lens. My son is the same age as Paul so
          really the thermometer and compass don't mean much to him now but he
          loves checking things out with the magnifying lens. Anyway, I
          thought I would mention it becuase I use it to help keep him moving
          when we hike. I tell him to hurry and check out this bug or that
          leaf or whatever and he eagerly runs from one thing to the next
          stopping just long enough "usually" to check it out and then move to
          the next thing. We also play games like tag and name the cactus that
          help him keep plodding along at a reasonable pace. I read in a book
          once about using treats but I felt like that was a little too much
          like the dogs I work with (i'm a dog trainer) so haven't experimented
          with the food rewards on trail yet.

          Have a great time on your desert trips.

          Jamie in AZ
        • enviroknow@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2004
            Jamie...

            I think each kid is motivated by something different. If I can keep mine
            interested for the first half of the hike, I'll then use the food reward to get
            him back to the parking lot. When he finds out I've brought one of his
            favorite snacks along he'll usually pick up the pace instead of dawdling. My son is
            10th percentile on weight, so I don't worry about using food as a
            treat/enticement. It isn't something I'd do if he were on the other end of the scale.
            Mostly though my son just isn't interested in hiking very far even though he is
            capable of at least 4 miles or more. He will walk the farthest if he has a
            dog to walk too, or he is on one of his favorite trails. I wish mine would dash
            from one interesting 'find' to the next, but he tends to spend a great deal
            of time examining things, and this can be frustrating when he is interested in
            examining every detail of everything he sees within a square yard. Sigh. Oh,
            he's 4.

            Andrea in AK

            Health & Environment Resource Center
            http://www.herc.org