Re: Questions from a new member

  • larry2947
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2004
      --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, enviroknow@a... wrote:
      > Larry...
      >
      > Welcome to the group and to parenthood! It will be an adventure
      unlike anything you have experienced....
      > Andrea in Alaska>>
      >
      > Thanks so much Andrea! Well, we'll have a lot to look forward to
      and learn.
    • kangahiker
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
        I took my little daughter on her first backpack trip to Cathedral
        Lake in Yosemite at 2 months (front carrier), and have had her
        between 9500' and 10,200' several times. She does just fine. I
        would just keep your little one well-hydrated, both with frequent
        nursing/feeding and water. We haven't yet taken her up Whitney, but
        we are hoping to do take her on the John Muir Trail this summer,
        which will include Whitney and several high elevation passes. We'll
        let you know how things go if we are able to do the trip.

        Day-hiking with an infant is easy, it just requires more frequent
        stops for breaks, feedings, diaper changes, etc. Backpacking with
        an infant is more challenging, but definitely worthwhile. On our
        first trips, I carried my daughter in a front carrier, and also
        carried a backpack with some gear. My husband carried a backpack
        with the rest of the gear. Now that she can ride in a backpack
        carrier, things are easier. We use a Madden Caravan, and I carry my
        daughter, the bear can and some other gear. My husband carries the
        rest. Hiking is not a problem and she LOVES it. Everyone comments
        on her big smile when we are on the trail (except when she is
        sleeping). Our biggest challenges now are keeping
        hat/sunglasses/sunscreen on, and making sure our little one doesn't
        crawl out of our non-traditional tent at night. So far, so good:)

        --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, "larry2947"
        <larry2947@y...> wrote:
        > Hi, I was delighted to discover this group.
        >
        > As new parents to be in November, my partner and I have been
        > wondering about how soon we can start dayhiking and backpacking
        > again. I've noticed (here and on some other sites) some
        surprising
        > outings with young infants. I assume you carried the baby in a
        front
        > carrier? If so, how difficult is it to hike or backpack while
        > carrying the baby in front? At what age did you first try a
        backpack-
        > type carrier? How do young infants deal with high altitudes?
        >
        > My fantasy is to have our son complete his first Whitney dayhike
        > before the age of 1 (I'll do the walking), is that totally
        > unrealistic?
        >
        > Larry
      • Emma Eyeball
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 8, 2004
          <larry2947@y...> wrote:
          > Hi, I was delighted to discover this group.

          hi Larry, we're delighted to have you.

          > As new parents to be in November, my partner and I have been
          > wondering about how soon we can start dayhiking and backpacking
          > again. I've noticed (here and on some other sites) some surprising
          > outings with young infants. I assume you carried the baby in a
          front
          > carrier? If so, how difficult is it to hike or backpack while
          > carrying the baby in front? At what age did you first try a
          backpack-
          > type carrier? How do young infants deal with high altitudes?

          how soon depends on your comfort level and your location. if
          November temperatures are balmy (as they are here in CA), then by all
          means take the baby on a short dayhike once your partner feels up to
          it (i'm assuming we're talking about birth and not adoption - the
          birth of my son didn't go too well and so i was sidelined for a
          while). no matter how experienced you are, taking a baby means LOTS
          of changes in what you can and should do. so start small (shorter
          hikes make it easier to bail out).

          i used a soft front carrier when my son was very small, but it became
          VERY uncomfortable once he was about 13 pounds. then i switched to a
          sling. we put my son in a backpack carrier when he was about 6
          months old, but babies shouldn't ride in them until they can sit up
          on their own.

          babies and altitude is tricky - i researched this for our attempted
          hike of the JMT last summer. as an adult, i have a pretty good idea
          of what i can and can't do in regards to altitude and acclimation.
          babies don't, and most importantly THEY CAN'T TELL YOU HOW THEY
          FEEL. if you are going to take a baby to higher altitudes, wait
          until they are over 1 year of age. under age 1 an infant's reaction
          to altitude is more severe, due to their bodies being in a very rapid
          pace of development. even after age 1, they still can't tell you
          much. my son is 2 years & 3 months old and still can't tell me much
          more than "hurts" while he points to his stubbed toe or pricked
          finger. i won't take him to high altitudes without giving him
          acclimation time beforehand. i think he has been as high as 10,500'
          with no problems.

          > My fantasy is to have our son complete his first Whitney dayhike
          > before the age of 1 (I'll do the walking), is that totally
          > unrealistic?

          i would never do it. most of the time Whitney is a pretty benign
          mountain (as you probably know), but at 14,500' it is subject to all
          manner of weather whims. it seems safe and tame, but with an
          infant/toddler you HAVE to tink in terms of worst case scenarios. i
          just wouldn't do it, not until the child is old enough to say "i'm
          scared" or "my head hurts" or "i feel dizzy."