Backpacking Question?

  • cjjs914
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 4, 2004
      Hello Everyone,

      We have a 3 year old son and we have been camping and hiking several
      times. He just loves it.
      Recently we have been talking about backpacking all of the
      Appalachian Trail. We don't know if it is possible. Our son will be 4
      soon and I want to take him with us. We want to take about 6-7 months
      to do this with him. We want to finish the trail but it is not on top
      of our list.
      However I have some concerns or questions about this. I know he will
      not be able to hike very far every day so we were thinking about
      getting a child carrier. What child carrier would be good for a 38 lb
      boy plus have some storage for gear? For such an extended backpacking
      trip will we have enough storage for gear(tent, sleeping bags,
      stove), clothing and food between the child carrier and another
      backpack?
      Thank you for your time.

      CJ
    • Shane
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 4, 2004
        > Recently we have been talking about backpacking all of the
        > Appalachian Trail. We don't know if it is possible. Our son will be 4
        > soon and I want to take him with us. We want to take about 6-7 months
        > to do this with him. We want to finish the trail but it is not on top
        > of our list.

        Sounds VERY cool. I wish my parents had been that hard core...

        > However I have some concerns or questions about this. I know he will
        > not be able to hike very far every day so we were thinking about
        > getting a child carrier. What child carrier would be good for a 38 lb
        > boy plus have some storage for gear? For such an extended backpacking
        > trip will we have enough storage for gear(tent, sleeping bags,
        > stove), clothing and food between the child carrier and another
        > backpack?

        I think that you should seriously consider the Kid Comfort II or III by
        Deuter. (www.deuterusa.com) I did a review of one on
        www.backpackgeartest.org. Child carriers are in the pack section.

        At 38 pounds, you're pusing the max limit of ANY child carrier, which is
        about 40 pounds. You'll do fine with the Kid Comfort. You've got a good
        amount of space in the compartment under the child. Refer to the report...
        Of course, the person not carrying the child will have to have a large pack
        too in order to offset the balance of the gear. Fortunately, on the AT, you
        aren't ever more than three or four days from resupply. I think I've heard
        that you could actually resupply every day if you had to, but that would
        slow you down.

        Please keep us posted!

        Shane
      • enviroknow@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2004
          In a message dated 6/4/2004 12:53:05 PM Alaskan Daylight Time,
          shane@... writes:

          > At 38 pounds, you're pusing the max limit of ANY child carrier, which is
          > about 40 pounds.

          The Madden Caravan is supposed to be good to 70 pounds total weight, but I
          can't imagine carrying a 60 pound child (the pack weighs about 7 lbs). Mine is
          32 lbs and I have no problem carrying him in the Madden - wish I'd had it from
          the git go. The Madden has been redesigned this year and renamed the Rhumba.
          It's supposed to be even better than before, but I haven't seen it. If
          you're going to be going out for that long I would highly recommend test driving
          several carriers before committing to such a long trip. Child carriers do not
          carry like regular backpacks, and "live" cargo is more difficult to carry too.

          Andrea

          Health & Environment Resource Center
          http://www.herc.org

        • Shane
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2004
            > If you're going to be going out for that long I would highly recommend
            test
            > driving several carriers before committing to such a long trip. Child
            carriers
            > do not carry like regular backpacks, and "live" cargo is more difficult to
            carry
            > too.

            Agreed. Like any other pack, it's a very personal choice. I finally
            stopped carrying Virginia when she hit 40 pounds, but I could have carried
            her a while longer. I just figured that it was time she started walking
            more.

            Shane
          • enviroknow@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2004
              In a message dated 6/4/2004 1:08:22 PM Alaskan Daylight Time,
              shane@... writes:

              > I just figured that it was time she started walking
              > more.

              How far is she walking, and how old is she?

              My son is 3 yr 9 mo. and is capable of walking 3 or more miles, but not
              motivated to do so every time. I carry the pack and let him ride because I don't
              want to turn him off on the idea of hiking at this young age, and I'm afraid
              that if I push him he will come to hate it. I think I will introduce him to the
              idea of peak bagging this year, since that is what I really love to do, and I
              think he would enjoy it too. And I know he is going to become a rock climber
              in another few years. I started climbing about this age (just bouldering),
              and I see that he has the same lust for rock that I had. I've already
              introduced him to alder bashing (walking off trail) and he loved that.

              Andrea in Alaska

              Health & Environment Resource Center
              http://www.herc.org

            • Patrick Lehnherr
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 4, 2004
                On 4 Jun 2004 at 16:59, enviroknow@... wrote:

                > If
                > you're going to be going out for that long I would highly recommend
                > test driving several carriers before committing to such a long trip.
                > Child carriers do not carry like regular backpacks, and "live" cargo
                > is more difficult to carry too.

                Good advice. Years ago, our local REI store rented Kelty carriers.
                I rented a mid-level model for a day hike once and loved it. I ended
                up buying their Elite model and it went through 3 kids and still is
                in great shape. Unfortunately, this will the last year for it as our
                youngest is 2. I'll hate selling it.

                Pat
              • cjjs914
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 4, 2004
                  > Of course, the person not carrying the child will have to have a
                  large pack
                  > too in order to offset the balance of the gear.

                  Thank you for your replies.
                  I have a pretty good idea which child carrier to go with now (Madden
                  Rumba). Now to decide who is going to carry our son. Since the other
                  backpack will more than likely be heavy also. Who should carry our
                  son and who should carry the other pack? (trying to see the different
                  views of everyone here). Thanks for your help.

                  CJ
                • enviroknow@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 4, 2004
                    CJ...

                    The nice thing about the Madden pack is that it is easily adjusted for 2
                    different carriers. Now, one of you might not be as comfortable as the other (I
                    believe someone on this list has 2 different carriers, one for mom [Madden] and
                    one for dad [REI]), but if you are lucky enough that the pack is comfortable
                    on both of you, I would highly recommend switching off who carried which pack.
                    Like I said earlier, carrying a "live" load is not like carrying a regular
                    backpack, and your body will thank you for giving it a break. Also, your child
                    might be different, but mine likes to talk and sing, and sometimes my ears
                    just need a break. Unfortunately in our family I am the only one who can do the
                    carrying, unless a family friend joins us. My husband can't carry a pack (we
                    don't backpack together).

                    Andrea in Alaska

                  • Shane Steinkamp
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 4, 2004
                      > I have a pretty good idea which child carrier to go with now
                      > (Madden Rumba). Now to decide who is going to carry our son. Since
                      > the other backpack will more than likely be heavy also. Who should
                      > carry our son and who should carry the other pack?

                      The one with better balance and more stamina gets to carry the kid. For us,
                      that means me...

                      Shane