Re: Diaper systems (was gearing up)

  • autumn
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
      oh, i love talkin' dipes! hee hee.

      covers - we don't make our own. we have tried almost every diaper cover known to
      man (and mama) though. my favorites, in general, are the bummis whisper wrap (http:
      //www.bummis.com/en/). i also like the fleece stacinator (http://www.stacinator.com)
      although its a bit bulky. pro-wraps (http://www.earthbaby.com/prowraps.html) are
      also good, and very lite.

      diapers - we use cascade designs pack towels cut to about the same size as a chinese
      cotton prefold diaper (which we use at home), with a layer of malden mills fleece over
      it. none of our camping diapers are sewn (i'm not nearly as crafty or as clever as
      tarbubble!). more info on our camping dipes: http://www.mamarsupial.com/
      backpack.php#dipes

      okay, i have to go mop floors while bill has the day off and the girls are content.
    • Emma Eyeball
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
        Jamie said:

        > What is the nylon/vinyl cover for? Is it mainly to protect against
        > leakage or to protect the inner absorbant material from the
        elements?

        the cover is to keep the baby from walking around in a wet cotton
        diaper and then sitting down on the nice clean couch/rug/carpet/etc.
        even with pins, the diapers themselves don't stay in place too well,
        so the covers help them stay on and snuggly wrapped around baby's
        bottom. and yes, a white cotton diaper with no cover on it picks up
        dirt faster than anything else known to woman, except perhaps a
        baby's face right after a bath.

        -e.
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2004
          Okay so it's basically an outer protection cover for the more
          delicate inner linner and to keep moister from leaking out. I wonder
          if a NeatSheet would work. It's very light material, water
          proof/resistant (not sure) and pretty tough fabric. Besides it comes
          in a like a 5' x 6' piece or something like that. You could probably
          make quite a few covers out that. And it's double sided so if you
          really wanted to get a lot from it you could pull the two pieces
          apart. Although I'm not sure if it would still have the same water
          resistance/proofness single layered? Might be worth looking into
          though.

          Jamie in AZ

          --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, "Emma Eyeball"
          <tarbubble@y...> wrote:
          > Jamie said:
          >
          > > What is the nylon/vinyl cover for? Is it mainly to protect
          against
          > > leakage or to protect the inner absorbant material from the
          > elements?
          >
          > the cover is to keep the baby from walking around in a wet cotton
          > diaper and then sitting down on the nice clean
          couch/rug/carpet/etc.
          > even with pins, the diapers themselves don't stay in place too
          well,
          > so the covers help them stay on and snuggly wrapped around baby's
          > bottom. and yes, a white cotton diaper with no cover on it picks
          up
          > dirt faster than anything else known to woman, except perhaps a
          > baby's face right after a bath.
          >
          > -e.
        • kangahiker
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2004
            I'm sure this is probably a stupid question (I'm a disposable diaper
            user), but are fleece diaper covers enough to keep baby from wetting
            through? Or do you need some kind of waterproof cover in addition to
            the fleece one?

            --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, "autumn" <mama@m...>

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 3, 2004
              --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, "kangahiker" <kangahiker@y...>
              wrote:
              > I'm sure this is probably a stupid question (I'm a disposable diaper
              > user), but are fleece diaper covers enough to keep baby from wetting
              > through? Or do you need some kind of waterproof cover in addition to
              > the fleece one?

              our babe has never wet through the fleece cover we have. we have some terry and
              also some wool covers that can get damp if she's really wet, so we don't bring those
              camping. the fleece and the waterproofed nylon are the best for camping.