Howdy!

  • one_windwalker
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 7, 2002
      Glad we have a new group comlete with a moderator...Thanks Emma!
      My kids are growing up mighty fast my youngest will be a teenager in
      December. My how time flies!

      I have pics of our adventures in the Sierra Nevada posted at Webshots
      if anyone is interested...
      http://community.webshots.com/user/one_windwalker

      Michael
    • emma eyeball
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 11, 2002
        Baby Paul will be going on his first wilderness hike
        with us this Saturday! we will be departing from the
        Chantry Flats ranger station in the San Gabriel
        Mountains of the Angeles National Forest, and may make
        the 10 mile loop hike to Hoegee campground, or
        depending on the weather (we are having a scorching
        heatwave here in so. california) we may hike to the
        peak of Mt. Zion.

        and Paul has been taken off the apnea monitor, PLUS he
        no longer needs supplementary oxygen! we are tickled
        pink, not only because this is HUGE progress for him,
        but also because we weren't looking forward to
        dragging all that equipment into the mountains with
        us!

        i shall report on our success (or failure, if taht
        happens).

        -emma

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • mcmurfy1
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 11, 2002
          Good Luck Emma! It has been very, very hot here in MO this summer
          too and very dry for the most part, although sporadic showers have
          kept fire danger low. The matching humidity makes hiking/backpacking
          a very sweaty chore and no fun at all with the combinatin of
          heat/humidity/insects/poison ivy, etc. I'm holding out until
          September for hiking around here and will head to Wisconsi Dells for
          a family vacation later this month and play in the water for a week. -
          Danny

          --- In backpackingwithchildren@y..., emma eyeball <tarbubble@y...>
          wrote:
          > Baby Paul will be going on his first wilderness hike
          > with us this Saturday! we will be departing from the
          > Chantry Flats ranger station in the San Gabriel
          > Mountains of the Angeles National Forest, and may make
          > the 10 mile loop hike to Hoegee campground, or
          > depending on the weather (we are having a scorching
          > heatwave here in so. california) we may hike to the
          > peak of Mt. Zion.
          >
          > and Paul has been taken off the apnea monitor, PLUS he
          > no longer needs supplementary oxygen! we are tickled
          > pink, not only because this is HUGE progress for him,
          > but also because we weren't looking forward to
          > dragging all that equipment into the mountains with
          > us!
          >
          > i shall report on our success (or failure, if taht
          > happens).
          >
          > -emma

          > http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • Sloetoe
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 11, 2002
            --- emma eyeball <tarbubble@...> wrote:
            > Baby Paul will be going on his first wilderness hike
            > with us this Saturday!
            >
            > and Paul has been taken off the apnea monitor, PLUS he
            > no longer needs supplementary oxygen! we are tickled
            > pink,
            ### This is a pun, right???[!]

            > not only because this is HUGE progress for him,
            > but also because we weren't looking forward to
            > dragging all that equipment into the mountains with us!

            ### Good Luck, em! I will get a home computer soon, and will be
            able to scan some pictures in that you'll find (unfortunately)
            familiar. Pictures of a "wee one" in the center of a large
            circle of technology (too wide to fit in the camera w/o going
            clear across the neonatal wing). His twin brother was
            "palm-size-boy". At seven last year (as in the link I posted in
            a response to "teamcourage" last week), they completed Vermont's
            Long Trail. This year, we were scheduled to hit the Colorado
            Trail, but that idea went up in flames (or down in smoke)(or
            dried up), so it seems we're headed back to Sherburne Pass, to
            take the AT east into New Hampshire, and 80 miles along, hit the
            Whites. We'll still get above treeline, by George.

            ### Bring lots of receiving blankets for buffering the baby
            carrier, and sun blocking clothing, and a hand mirror to put in
            your pocket so you can see what in tarnation is going on back
            there (without having to stop, gently swing the pack around,
            inspect, detect, reject, ....). The mirror will come in handy
            (quite soon!) for playing peekaboo games while on the fly, too!

            Very Hugely Happy Trails,
            Sloetoe

            Oh, and it IS backpacking!

            =====
            Spatior! Nitor! Nitor! Tempero!
            Pro Pondera Et Meliora.

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • emma eyeball
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 15, 2002
              was mostly a success! i also misreported the length
              of the loop as 10 miles - for some reason i doubled
              the actual length of 5 miles.

              the plan was to start out early, but Mr. Eyeball's
              family kept us up too late on Friday night. we left
              the house around 7 am & i was already exhausted,
              falling asleep in the car. i discovered that infant
              car seats are too wide to allow the front seats to
              recline into a suitable sleeping position, at least in
              our car. grrrr.

              got to Chantry Flats around 8, the parking lot was
              FULL (a very popular area for dayhikes & mountain
              biking). can't believe we got a spot. began getting
              the harness for Paul's front carrier (Kelty Kangaroo)
              rigged up, got our first "oooh, look at the baby" from
              the folks parked next to us. who can blame them?
              Paul is adorable. ;)

              with Paul all nestled in, we headed down the trail.
              it was bloody hot already; i kept the sun shade over
              Paul & tucked his little legs into my shorts so he
              wouldn't get sunburned before we made it into the
              trees. Mr. Eyeball carried the daypack with
              water(even with a filter, i don't trust the water
              along that trail), lunch & diapering essentials.

              once we hit the trees, the trail climbed up for 2
              miles. Paul was fine; he slept the whole way. i was
              not fine; i lost a lot of weight with the stress of
              Paul being premature & hospitalized - obviously i lost
              some strength & conditioning as well, since i was
              really hurting on what should have been an easy trail.
              under the trees, it was a beautiful day. the shade
              was dappled, the breeze ruffled the leaves & swayed
              the branches just so. it's a busy trail and we
              stepped aside for many bikers. everyone who hiked
              past us had to coo at Paul, but i heard two older
              ladies (thinking we couldn't hear them) question the
              wisdom of having such a small baby out on the trail.

              we stayed an hour or so at Hoegee Campground, eating
              lunch, drinking Tang & changing Paul's diaper twice.
              i yelled at a teenage boy throwing rocks at the
              sqirrels & we nicknamed a REALLY raggedy-looking
              bluejay "Crazy George." Crazy George hung around our
              table waiting for a handout & ran off the other
              bluejays who came looking for crumbs. Paul was very
              content & seemed to really enjoy the movement of light
              in the leaves above us.

              the last 3 miles out were much more exposed than we
              remembered them being. out of the trees, in the low
              brush, it was BLOODY HOT. Mr. Eyeball was then
              carrying Paul, and i worried constantly that he was
              going to overheat, thinking "what a horrible mother
              you are! those old ladies were right! what were you
              thinking, you selfish girl?"

              we finally made it back to the trailhead. Paul was
              fine - i was the one who overheated & ended up with a
              headache. a ranger was writing a parking ticket for
              the car parked next to us (you need a special parking
              permit for the national forests in S. CA), and she had
              to stop and coo at Paul, too. it was kind of funny to
              hear a ranger engage in baby talk.

              lessons learned: pack a few more diapers (5 ended up
              being just enough), and pick someplace cooler. even
              though Paul was fine, i think we were pushing it. i
              think next time we'll head up to Idlewild (higher
              elevation) and hike a tiny section of the PCT. slso,
              if anybody noticed me breastfeeding Paul, they were
              too polite to make it obvious.

              i'll share the photos once they get developed &
              scanned.

              -emma

              http://autos.yahoo.com
            • Sloetoe
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 15, 2002
                --- emma eyeball <tarbubble@...> wrote:
                > was mostly a success!
                > lessons learned: pack a few more diapers (5 ended up
                > being just enough),
                ### And don't forget a spare, in case your tape rips or rain
                gets it.

                and pick someplace cooler. even
                > though Paul was fine, i think we were pushing it.
                ### Annnnnnnd don't forget that Paul wasn't moving, and you guys
                were. In the winter time, you've got to really bundle 'em,
                'cause while you're working your butt off, kids riding in the
                pack are not moving at *all*, and *may* have their little legs
                exposed to the wind!

                > i think next time we'll head up to Idlewild (higher
                > elevation) and hike a tiny section of the PCT. slso,
                > if anybody noticed me breastfeeding Paul, they were
                > too polite to make it obvious.
                > i'll share the photos once they get developed &
                > scanned.
                ### Sounds like you had a great trip, em. Looking forward to the
                pics. (Speaking of which, I am now rush- shopping for a digital
                camera. I have 6 days to prepare for a three week trip with my
                (now 8 year old) sons in New England -- likely on the AT from
                Sherburne Pass/LT/Vermont to Gorham -- 200 miles including the
                Whites. Am going to try and take it easy, so we may not do the
                whole of the Whites, but this rushing stuff sucks. Was supposed
                to buy a computer first, *then* the camera. And what of the 10
                pounds of bananas I was to dehydrate???? What to I do now???

                Sloetoe

                =====

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 30, 2002
                  baby Paul & i are going to Montana! my
                  great-grandparents settled there around 1906 & we have
                  an old family cabin on Flathead Lake. my parents
                  talked me into going with them & i hope to take wee
                  Paul on a dayhike or two while we're there - maybe
                  even our first overnighter if i can talk Mr. Eyeball
                  into it (he has his heart set on relaxation). i'm
                  thinking maybe in Glacier NP, as we'll be 2 hours away
                  from it. but there are grizzly bears in GNP (eek!),
                  so i'll have to get my ursophobia under control.

                  BTW, Paul weighed in at just over 10 lbs. yesterday &
                  21.5 inches long. his Dr. says that's slightly above
                  average for a 1-month old baby (Paul's corrected age),
                  so i don't have to worry any more about Paul lagging
                  behind in size. hooray!

                  off to plan & dream,

                  -emma

                  p.s. Sloe, how did everything go with your last-minute
                  preparations? let us know when you get back, and tell
                  us ALL about the hike! i'm so encouraged by your
                  sons, they are a great inspiration to me.

                  http://health.yahoo.com
                • mcmurfy1
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 3, 2002
                    Hey! have a great trip. I spent a summer in Montana working back in
                    the early 70s (live in Helena) - really like it there and I've
                    visited Glacier National Park twice in the 70s but haven't been able
                    to get back. I have some local friends that go backpacking up there
                    though although I'm very leary of the grizzlies myself and not sure I
                    would want too. It is probably the most beautiful park that I have
                    ever been in - have a poster on the wall behind me with a picture
                    from within GNP.

                    wrote:
                    > baby Paul & i are going to Montana! my
                    > great-grandparents settled there around 1906 & we have
                    > an old family cabin on Flathead Lake. my parents
                    > talked me into going with them & i hope to take wee
                    > Paul on a dayhike or two while we're there - maybe
                    > even our first overnighter if i can talk Mr. Eyeball
                    > into it (he has his heart set on relaxation). i'm
                    > thinking maybe in Glacier NP, as we'll be 2 hours away
                    > from it. but there are grizzly bears in GNP (eek!),
                    > so i'll have to get my ursophobia under control.
                    >
                    > BTW, Paul weighed in at just over 10 lbs. yesterday &
                    > 21.5 inches long. his Dr. says that's slightly above
                    > average for a 1-month old baby (Paul's corrected age),
                    > so i don't have to worry any more about Paul lagging
                    > behind in size. hooray!
                    >
                    > off to plan & dream,
                    >
                    > -emma
                    >
                    > p.s. Sloe, how did everything go with your last-minute
                    > preparations? let us know when you get back, and tell
                    > us ALL about the hike! i'm so encouraged by your
                    > sons, they are a great inspiration to me.

                    > http://health.yahoo.com
                  • emma eyeball
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 8, 2002

                      here's the situation:  the 2nd weekend in Sept., my hubby is going on a 3-day backpacking trip with some of his co-workers.  when he mentioned it to me, i assumed baby & i were welcome as well, but it turns out that these macho men want a "no wives" weekend.  fair enough, i understand.

                      so i decided that if Other Half was going to be away, i may as well have some fun, too.  i'm planning on having a little 4-day trip to one of the nearby national parks (i just bought my annual parks pass!), where i'll car camp with baby Paul (who will be 2.5 months by then) and just do some dayhiking & sightseeing.  no big deal, in my mind.

                      BUT my father, who isn't normally the worrywart type, strongly believes i shouldn't go alone.  i'm not such a daddy's girl that i can't ignore his advice when i want, but this time he is really emphatic in his request that i not do this.  he mentioned the loony that killed 3 women in Yosemite a few years back.  i reminded him that he didn't worry the last time i went on a trip by myself, but he thinks the baby makes me more vulnerable.  i think that it's unlikely i'll ever be in ANY real danger.  i would be happy to go with someone, but i have NO outdoorsy friends who live anywhere nearby.

                      so am i being too cavalier, or is my dad being overprotective?  my husband has no such fears for me, but i find sometimes an outside perspective is best.  you all know the outdoors life, so i'm appealing to your wise judgement.

                      -emma

                      Do You Yahoo!?
                    • mcmurfy1
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 11, 2002
                        I would say go for it Emma!

                        My wife doesn't backpack and I have both male and female friends who
                        have spouses that are not interested in backpacking or just not
                        physical able so we get together for hiking and backpacking here in
                        MO throughout the year without our spouses.

                        wrote:

                        > here's the situation: the 2nd weekend in Sept., my hubby is going
                        on a 3-day backpacking trip with some of his co-workers. when he
                        mentioned it to me, i assumed baby & i were welcome as well, but it
                        turns out that these macho men want a "no wives" weekend. fair
                        enough, i understand.
                        > so i decided that if Other Half was going to be away, i may as well
                        have some fun, too. i'm planning on having a little 4-day trip to
                        one of the nearby national parks (i just bought my annual parks
                        pass!), where i'll car camp with baby Paul (who will be 2.5 months by
                        then) and just do some dayhiking & sightseeing. no big deal, in my
                        mind.
                        > BUT my father, who isn't normally the worrywart type, strongly
                        believes i shouldn't go alone. i'm not such a daddy's girl that i
                        can't ignore his advice when i want, but this time he is really
                        emphatic in his request that i not do this. he mentioned the loony
                        that killed 3 women in Yosemite a few years back. i reminded him
                        that he didn't worry the last time i went on a trip by myself, but he
                        thinks the baby makes me more vulnerable. i think that it's unlikely
                        i'll ever be in ANY real danger. i would be happy to go with
                        someone, but i have NO outdoorsy friends who live anywhere nearby.
                        > so am i being too cavalier, or is my dad being overprotective? my
                        husband has no such fears for me, but i find sometimes an outside
                        perspective is best. you all know the outdoors life, so i'm
                        appealing to your wise judgement.
                        > -emma

                        > HotJobs, a Yahoo! service - Search Thousands of New Jobs
                      • Sloetoe
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 23, 2002
                          emma, I'm only just back from doing VT/NH on the AT with my 8
                          year old twins, so I'm a bit late in replying. (You posted this
                          on August 8, I think; we'd just hit the bottom of the White
                          Mtns. It was really hot, but I'll tell you (all) how hot later.)

                          Anywho, and in serious answer to your question, you and Baby
                          Paul are much more likely to be killed in your car on your way
                          out to grab a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread tonight "in the
                          city", than to have *any* harm come to *either* of you whilst in
                          the woods. But that empirical reality to too easy to ignore, and
                          too impossible to affect with rational action, for any of us to
                          handle. So we latch on to the unreal fears.

                          I'm on an Appalachian Trail list, the "at-l". There is a
                          particular lister there who regularly trots out 'hikers cooking
                          in tents all too often end up in burn units' line -- I object
                          strongly. The *reality* is that a) people are not out there
                          lighting up the woods with their tents, BUT MORE IMPORTANT b)
                          the REAL danger is from the open flames we all have our
                          synthetic-clad limbs within inches of, when we reach over to
                          stir our pots, add ingediants, adjust the stove, relight the
                          stove, etc. Outside of regular good scaldings that just *don't*
                          make the same story-telling splash (so to speak) as burns, the
                          real danger in cooking is in lighting one's limbs on fire --
                          whether we are in a tent, on a porch, a cliff, whatever.

                          Two weeks after I last bitched the guy out for diluting and
                          distracting from REAL danger (the guy's an MD and should now
                          better about public health), he lit his arm on fire in a stove
                          accident. But he still sings the same tune. Even as an object
                          lesson in what *not* to do, he still feels the need to distract
                          and dilute a *real* warning for a false one.

                          Your dad (or any of our relatives -- we all have 'em, and we
                          know they're gonna say stuff about us taking kiddies in the
                          woods) may just be ignorant of the facts, or had not considered
                          that the most dangerous part of the trip is the trip to get out
                          there, or that golf claims more deaths from lightning than any
                          hiking trail, or dogs kill many more persons than sharks, or...
                          etc.... But if you can wake him up, you can perhaps even earn
                          encouragement and respect. Either way, we must all keep our eye
                          on *real* dangers: the out-of-doors in no way cares whether our
                          attention is taken up by false dangers, and it will bang our
                          heads and kick our butts if we make choices that recognize
                          social convention over mountain sense. And as we're on a "with
                          kids" list, this generally means our kids pay the price, too.
                          Yow.

                          (OK, done preaching!)

                          =====

                          http://finance.yahoo.com