Backpacking in New Mexico

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 29, 2013
      We are new to the area and want to take our 8 year old on an overnight backpacking trip. We are also taking an old dog, so only looking for a trail no more than 2-3 miles each way. Any suggestions?
    • sloetoe
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 30, 2013
        Please please please?
        This wonderful, but moribund, group has lain quiet for SO long.... my own boys are six-foot-two, out-the-door and in college... I'm guessing that's true with many of you, as well.

        YET THERE IS STILL SO MUCH wisdom we carry!!! I would roughly estimate that my kids covered a thousand backcountry miles before high school -- how many *adults* have that kind of experience on 'em?

        I can't answer about New Mexico, but I be someone reading this has great, great, knowledge (and perhaps hard-earned!), looking to be passed on.

        Light miles and happy hiking to all!

        --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, "Janet" <javacocoa@...> wrote:

        > We are new to the area and want to take our 8 year old on an overnight backpacking trip. We are also taking an old dog, so only looking for a trail no more than 2-3 miles each way. Any suggestions?

      • mowglimorgan
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2013
          We found a great trail in San Pedros area.  Super easy, followed the creek so accessible water: Las Vacas Trail.  It's about 1 mile up to the Reservoir (where there is no camping), but just past the reservoir you can camp anywhere, and there is plenty of flat areas along the way.  We went about 2.5-3 miles out.  Not bad for an 8 year old!