New here!

  • birthnlove
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 18, 2011
      I am so happy to be here! My name is Marlena, and I am the mother of five - boys ages 18, 12, 6, 4 and my baby girl is 3. I take the younger three camping (solo) frequently, and this summer I am planning on taking them to the back country. I am blessed to live in California (Modesto-the "3rd Most Miserable City in America!") and am only about two hours from Yosemite.

      I have enlisted the help of another mother, and possibly along with her 14 year old (and maybe my 18 year old), we are considering a 14 day trip on John Muir Trail, portions of segment two from Tuolumne Meadows to Reds Meadow - 37 miles. That's an average of 3-4 miles per day.

      Here are some random thoughts and questions:

      1) The permit process - we will be a group of five, six or seven. Do my little ones need their own permits, or does the permit cover our whole party? How likely will we be able to get our permit in Mid-June? We've missed the 24 week cut off. Yes...I know, bad planning!

      2) They will each carry their own (age and size appropriate) packs. Between the three children and myself we eat two adult portions per day. How many bear canisters do you think we need? I'm thinking three to carry enough food for 14 days?

      3) Sleeping. I am thinking two sleeping bags for the four of us. The boys (4 and 6) will share, and I will share with my 3 year old girl.

      4) What is the best (economical and size) water treatment method for us?

      Thanks so much!

      Marlena
    • Ed Rodriguez
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 18, 2011
        Hi Marlena,
        Well to start off with a permit can take of group of 15 so with 1 permit should
        be good for your size group Toulumne Meadows shouldn't be that hard. If you cant
        reserve your permit what I suggest is go to the backpacker campground at and
        spend a few nights getting use to the elevation and try to get a walk up permit,
        2nd a bear vault 500 will hold about 7 day of food for one person, you can rent
        this and it could hold up to 9 day of food. http://wild-ideas.net/index2.html
        . What you have to take a close look at what type of food you will be taken with
        you. 3rd I might suggest is making a or getting a quilt type of sleeping bag
        that will cover two people. 4th As far as a water filter for my part really
        depend on your over all need and what you hope to use it long term I use the
        StePen Journey.
        Also you have to take a close look at the gear that the adults are going to
        take. You guys are going to be the pack horses for the group, Take a close look
        at your tent and backpack and how much it weighs. Try to go as light weight
        as possible.
        The first part of the trail is nice and easy but need to make sure you camp out
        near the base of Lyell Canyon before you start your climb to Donahue Pass. The
        way I see it, should take you 2 day to get over Donahue pass. 1st campsite will
        be near the foot bridge the next then near the base on the pass.
        Last year I came across this 6 year old girl doing the whole JMT with her
        mother. So it could be done with your kids. If I where you I wouldn't go pass
        Thousand Island Lakes once you hit the jct at Thousand Island Lake to towards
        Agnew Meadow. The JMT trail for that point to Reds Meadow is not worth taken
        because of all the up and down you have to do. Good Luck and keep us posted

        Ed Rodriguez

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 18, 2011
          Check out backpackinglight.com. There is a good kid's section on there and
          lots of great ideas for lightening your load without sacrificing comfort.
          There is a great article just posted about a guy planning on hiking the PCT
          with his 11-year old daughter this year that might give you some insight.
          You may have to pay for a membership as some articles are not free to the
          public, but it is worth it's weight in gold

          I only have 3 yr old and a 1 yr old, so I can't give too much advice based
          on experience. The only thing I would recommend is to try and do a couple
          one-night trips if possible beforehand to experiment with your gear. Go
          light as you possibly can, by increasing your knowledge of how to adjust for
          different situations with minimal gear instead of bringing "what if" gear
          for every situation.

        • J&J Bierle
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 18, 2011
            Marlena,
            Sounds like a fun and ambitious trip. We took my son backpacking last summer for the first time (4 years old, 3 days, 2 nights, 3-4 miles per day). I am also an avid backpacker and have done sections of the JMT, including the one section you are considering. Hopefully my comments are helpful.
            1. Permits - it might be too late to get the permits you want, just call the Wilderness Permit office to check. Kids do count in the permit process. You might have better luck starting out of Agnew Meadows or June Lake too.
            2. Snow pack - This year is a big snow pack year and mid June might be early for a trip. The elevation of Donohue Pass might be your only issue, I would check again with the rangers and ask them.
            3. Trip - You might consider starting in Reds Meadow or Agnew Meadows and end in Tuolumne Meadows. The climb over Donohue Pass going south is pretty brutal and might not be too fun for your little ones. Heading northbound will be much easier.
            4. Sleeping bags - My son had his own sleeping bag. Honestly, I can't imagine sharing a sleeping bag, it is already a pretty tight fit, even for kids. If you are only out for a night or two, maybe you could get away with this. But 13 nights of sharing might be tough.
            5. Bear canisters - I would borrow, rent or buy one at REI (then return without using it) to just see how much food you can pack in it. Then rent the needed bear canisters at the permit office.
            6. Water filter - I use a filter and also iodine tablets and ascorbic acid (to take the iodine taste and color away. My filter is a Katydyn. Have had it for years and works great. There are other lighter weight options. I have not heard great things about the SteriPens. Cold water (which is what you have in the Sierras) doesn't get sterilized as well.
            http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-products/products/katadynshopconnect/katadyn-water-filters-backcountry-series-products/katadyn-hiker-usa/
            7. Last comments - In my opinion, your trip sounds very ambitious for such young kids. If you are experienced backpackers (you and your kids, then go for it). If this is your kids first or second trip, then a shorter trip might be better and the kids will have positive memories.A beautiful, easy backpack trip is the Little Lakes Valley near Rock Creek in the Eastern Sierras, just south of Mammoth. This is where we took our son. Lyell Canyon south on the JMT from Tuolumne Meadows is very flat and there are some great campsites along the river. The Cathedral Lake area from Tuolumne Meadows might be good. Sherwin Lakes near Mammoth Lakes is also beautiful. There are also tons of options on the Western Sierra since it is more gradual. The eastern Sierras are pretty steep.
            Good luck with your trip.
            Julie

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 18, 2011
              Yes the snow pack, make sure when you do go there is very little to no snow over the pass. Did the JMT last year had to cross country over both sides of the pass. Like the idea better going north bound. Shouldn't be a problem getting a permit

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 18, 2011
                Hi - I thought I would add a couple of things to this thread.

                My wife and I are planning to hike this route in September for our anniversary.
                We are leaving this kids home for this one. And we are planning to hike
                northbound ourselves and end up in Yosemite Valley, if time permits. But we also
                chose northbound to avoid the elevation gains.

                Also with the snowpack, our family attempted to backpack in Lyell Canyon back in
                2006 which I believe was also a heavy snow year. We attempted out hike in late
                June and found snow and swollen creeks and run-off. This made it some tricky
                for us with small children. Although we were not planning to head over Donahue
                Pass, a PCT Thru-Hiker did confirm that the pass was snow-covered. We eventually
                had to head to a lower elevation when our 8 yr old (at the time) was showing
                signs of altitude sickness. It can prove a difficult task to make sure that
                smaller children are staying very hydrated.

                Alex

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 21, 2011
                  Hello Marlena, I have backpacked with my children but, none as young as yours. I am happy to hear you are willing to attempt a trip of that magnitude and duration. I will respond to a few of your questions;
                  1) Yosemite permits are given out on a first come first serve basis, if obtained in person and if done by mail a certain number of permits are allowed to be passed out on a first applied for to first awarded. The permit covers the group. If you order the permit ahead of time plan on the maximum number of people you could expect on the trip.
                  The permits regulate the number of people that can be accommodated at each initial campsite in the back country. Check with the rangers on permits AND.... from the Tuolumne Meadows trail-head, how far do you have to travel before making camp? It varies depending upon where you are going to camp. I am not familiar with the destinations you are going to. I only took my children backpacking at May Lake (great as a first backpacking trip), Tuolumne Meadows to Glenn Aulin High Sierra Campground and, snowcamping at Badger Pass. At the May Lake camping ground, the last week of June 1991, we have heavy rain the first afternoon and an a hail-storm the second afternoon (4" of hail in three hours! Hwy #120 was closed because of the hail, until the snow clearing trucks could clear the highway!) Rain & storms in the afternoon are common in the Sierra Mountain Range in the summer, so be prepared!
                  Your two oldest boys can carry their full loads plus help you, younger children with their massive load. (I remember once a multi-day ski touring trip from Badger Pass with a fifty-five pound pack with my son!) The people who coming with you helping out with the load can be a real blessing. Your three year old will have to be carried a fair portion of the trip, correct? That can be a real load.

                  2) The boys 6yo and 4yo if limited to a pack that is twenty percent of their regular weight, could leave a fair amount left over. I know nothing about bear canisters.

                  4) I use the "First Need" water filter, you will have to research which one is right for you... capability versus price.

                  Best of luck -Adrian

                  --------------------------------

                  --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, "birthnlove" <Heylove@...> wrote:

                  > I am so happy to be here! My name is Marlena, and I am the mother of five - boys ages 18, 12, 6, 4 and my baby girl is 3. I take the younger three camping (solo) frequently, and this summer I am planning on taking them to the back country. I am blessed to live in California (Modesto-the "3rd Most Miserable City in America!") and am only about two hours from Yosemite.

                  > Thanks so much!
                  >
                  > Marlena

                • birthnlove
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 16, 2011
                    We have come a long way in our planning, let me tell you!

                    We have had a few changes such as I don't think my 18 year old will be joining us. It's just how things go with an adult son! It is disappointing to not have the extra set of hands and eyes and someone to carry some of the load, but it may be for the better!

                    This weather is just crazy! More snow in the sierras this last weekend is not GOOD for those of us trying to get over Tioga pass. I think we'll be lucky if Highway 120 is open by July 1st! We are now hoping to start our trip by July 3 (instead of in June,) but we are still waiting to see when it will warm up and melt that snow.

                    My hiking partner, Brigid (also a fabulous photographer!) and I set up a blog to document some of the challenges of planning our trip, hiking and just being moms! http://twonuttymoms.wordpress.com/

                    My youngest three children are very excited for our John Muir Trip. Brigid and I took the lil' bits to Yosemite Valley, just overnight, a few weeks ago and we just happened to be there on John Muir's BIRTHDAY! We watched a movie about the "Spirit of Yosemite" at the visitors center that included some information at John Muir. I have also come to find out that my four year old son is talking to his friends, their parents, and his teachers about our upcoming trip and about John Muir. It is so exciting to me!

                    We also returned to Yosemite Valley and Happy Isles visitors center on its opening day which was also Junior Ranger Day. My little girl is now a Junior Ranger, too! Happy Isles is traditionally the "starting point" for the JMT's 212 mile trail to Mt Whitney. (We will only do a 37 mile portion between Tuolumne Meadows and Reds Meadow.)

                    A large multi-family yard sale is planned for next Saturday, May 21, with most of my proceeds going to fund our trip. We will also have a bake sale, BBQ and carwash so if anyone is in the central valley, stop on by!

                    We have two of our packs, and all of the sleeping bags we need. High on my list of what we still need to get is our water purification systems. I would like to have three - one "pump" style, one of the gravity-type (sorry, I don't know what its called!) and then have chemicals on hand as back up. And then there is always boiling as a back up to the back up! We are also still looking for a GPS/beacon.

                    I'm seriously considering a "dunnage drop" half-way through our trip to bring us the last 50 (or so) pounds of food, supplies and fuel. Just one hiker to meet us about 15 miles from the end of our trip so we don't have to carry the whole supply with us. It would only take 2 days, but it's looking like it may cost around $400 to do so.

                    I met the search and rescue team at Happy Isles and told them that I really don't want to see them again! On a serious note, I was encouraged that they didn't seem to think that I was too insane for planning this trip. They said as long as we camp and stay near the trail, we should be fine. Not a problem!

                    I couldn't make it to a Wilderness First Aid class in Sacramento a few weeks ago, so I'm hoping that I will find one nearby soon!

                    That's our update for now! I'm going to see if I can upload a picture of my newest Junior Ranger! ;)

                    Marlena in Modesto, CA

                    --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, "Adrian" <avon1944@...> wrote:

                    > Hello Marlena, I have backpacked with my children but, none as young as yours. I am happy to hear you are willing to attempt a trip of that magnitude and duration. I will respond to a few of your questions;
                    > 1) Yosemite permits are given out on a first come first serve basis, if obtained in person and if done by mail a certain number of permits are allowed to be passed out on a first applied for to first awarded. The permit covers the group. If you order the permit ahead of time plan on the maximum number of people you could expect on the trip.
                    > The permits regulate the number of people that can be accommodated at each initial campsite in the back country. Check with the rangers on permits AND.... from the Tuolumne Meadows trail-head, how far do you have to travel before making camp? It varies depending upon where you are going to camp. I am not familiar with the destinations you are going to. I only took my children backpacking at May Lake (great as a first backpacking trip), Tuolumne Meadows to Glenn Aulin High Sierra Campground and, snowcamping at Badger Pass. At the May Lake camping ground, the last week of June 1991, we have heavy rain the first afternoon and an a hail-storm the second afternoon (4" of hail in three hours! Hwy #120 was closed because of the hail, until the snow clearing trucks could clear the highway!) Rain & storms in the afternoon are common in the Sierra Mountain Range in the summer, so be prepared!
                    > Your two oldest boys can carry their full loads plus help you, younger children with their massive load. (I remember once a multi-day ski touring trip from Badger Pass with a fifty-five pound pack with my son!) The people who coming with you helping out with the load can be a real blessing. Your three year old will have to be carried a fair portion of the trip, correct? That can be a real load.
                    >
                    > 2) The boys 6yo and 4yo if limited to a pack that is twenty percent of their regular weight, could leave a fair amount left over. I know nothing about bear canisters.
                    >
                    > 4) I use the "First Need" water filter, you will have to research which one is right for you... capability versus price.
                    >
                    > Best of luck -Adrian
                    >
                    > --------------------------------
                    >
                    > --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, "birthnlove" <Heylove@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I am so happy to be here! My name is Marlena, and I am the mother of five - boys ages 18, 12, 6, 4 and my baby girl is 3. I take the younger three camping (solo) frequently, and this summer I am planning on taking them to the back country. I am blessed to live in California (Modesto-the "3rd Most Miserable City in America!") and am only about two hours from Yosemite.
                    >
                    > > Thanks so much!
                    > >
                    > > Marlena

                  • Adrian
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 20, 2011
                      Marlena, I am happy things are progressing with your trip. In winter-spring of 1991 we got a good amount of snow. In the 'last week of June', my family and I went backpacking to May Lake (9,320-ft. ASL) there were still many patches of snow on the ground. What made it interesting was each afternoon we were there, we had a storm! The first afternoon we had heavy rain and the second afternoon we had four inches of hail! (SEE NOTE) It forced us to change our trip, curses!

                      NOTE;
                      Hwy #120 through Tuolumne Meadows was closed for the afternoon while thee snow clearing equipment was brought back out and made the road passable.

                      Please take lots of pictures? -Adrian