Dr. Beach's Top 10 Beaches in the United States

  • USA
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2010
      Hanalei Bay Beach, Kauai, Hawaii was number 1. Here are the Top 10

      Dr. Beach's Top 10 Beaches in the United States
      <http://www.americasbestonline.net/index.php/pages/DrBeachTopTen2009.htm\
      l>

      Who is Dr. Beach - Stephen Leatherman|
      My love of sand began as a child. My parents had the notion that if one
      neighbor has a basketball hoop and another a treehouse, then my family
      should also have an attraction for the neighborhood kids. I had the
      biggest backyard sand box in Charlotte, North Carolina. I loved it.
      Every year I opted for a beach vacation to play in the world's largest
      sandbox and frolic in the surf.

      I always knew that I wanted to be a scientist, but it wasn't until I got
      a job surveying beaches at Cape Hatteras after storms that I knew which
      kind. I definitely wanted to work outdoors and what better workplace
      than a beach? Little did I know that I would later appear on "The Oprah
      Winfrey Show" for having one of the best jobs in America.

      My research takes me to beaches around the country and to many parts of
      the world. During the past 20 years, my principal focus has been
      studying beach erosion and storm impacts. But I also find myself helping
      to locate the best sandy beach for a solar-powered car race, dropping
      dye packets out of a helicopter so TV producers can film a killer rip
      current in action, deciphering 200 years of channel changes from old
      maps to find Revolutionary War artifacts, and helping billionaires
      select island properties to purchase or decide where best to build their
      mansion near the shore.