Newbie trying to get started

  • Omi
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5 12:56 AM
      Hi there,

      I live in the Santa Cruz area in California. My family and I are avid hikers, and car campers, but have never gone backpacking. I know I'd love it, and am eager to get started. I'm pretty sure my son (8) would be into it too, although my wife is a bit hesitant about carrying all that gear around. Whats the best way to get started?

      I think a good way would be to find a willing and experienced backpacker or two to go on on a first short trip with. The first trip, I might just do without the family so that I work out all the issues with gear etc. Does that make sense? Anybody willing to do a short trip and show a newbie the ropes?

      Omi
    • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 5 1:46 AM
        Hi Omi, I live in Sacramento and be more than happy to take you (and your family) out backpacking. For me the key thing is your gear for short trips and weekend weight is not all that important as if a person hiking the John Muir Trail (which I be hiking this year with my 22 year old). Once you get your gear for you and your family you go car camping. But the key is as you camp you use only your backpacking gear this way you can work out any issues that you may run across. Then go on short and easy trips (under 4 miles) have you and your family develop a love for the back country. To start of you could rent gear to see what works out for you.
        Sent on the Sprint� Now Network from my BlackBerry�

        I live in the Santa Cruz area in California. My family and I are avid hikers, and car campers, but have never gone backpacking. I know I'd love it, and am eager to get started. I'm pretty sure my son (8) would be into it too, although my wife is a bit hesitant about carrying all that gear around. Whats the best way to get started?

        I think a good way would be to find a willing and experienced backpacker or two to go on on a first short trip with. The first trip, I might just do without the family so that I work out all the issues with gear etc. Does that make sense? Anybody willing to do a short trip and show a newbie the ropes?

        Omi

      • sloetoe
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5 6:40 AM
          Being as camping and hiking have a natural marriage in backpacking, your thought on a short trip with an experienced hiker (backpacker -- no real hiker refers to themselves as a "backpacker" -- just as no real caver refers to themselves as a "spelunker" -- for that matter, shouldn't this Yahoo!Group be re-titled as "HIKING with children?!? Anyway, ...) is the right next step. My one suggestion though, is that you "start out" with someone who's pack is under 10 pounds -- going out with a "catalog hiker" (who owns the latest and greatest of gear) will guarantee you a sore back and an unhappy spouse. Try the local "Meet-Up" group -- ask there if anyone goes out with a 10 -- or even 15 -- pound pack, and see if you can get a feel for their comfort in the woods. I have known hikers who've completed a PCT or AT or CDT hike, who are still toting lots of heavy, heavy gear, and paying a price for it in trail sweat. Your family does not need to memorialize that sort of habit. GO LIGHT and watch the trail smiles stick around after dark.

          My thoughts, anyway.

          --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, "Omi" <gomacs@...> wrote:

          > Hi there,
          >
          > I live in the Santa Cruz area in California. My family and I are avid hikers, and car campers, but have never gone backpacking. I know I'd love it, and am eager to get started. I'm pretty sure my son (8) would be into it too, although my wife is a bit hesitant about carrying all that gear around. Whats the best way to get started?
          >
          > I think a good way would be to find a willing and experienced backpacker or two to go on on a first short trip with. The first trip, I might just do without the family so that I work out all the issues with gear etc. Does that make sense? Anybody willing to do a short trip and show a newbie the ropes?
          >
          > Omi

        • JeremyG
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 5 9:59 AM
            A great place to start would be www.backpackinglight.com. Especially if you have a child that will be carrying a pack. There are very economical ways of lightening your pack so that everyone can enjoy the trip even more.

            Here are a couple sections specific for backpacking with children:
            http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00177.html
            http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/lightweight_backpacking_gear_kids.html
            http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/pack.html#Kids

            Here's a forum discussion that is specific to an 8 yr old:
            http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=11423

            This guy has posted a lot of good stuff in relation to gear and keeping it economical:
            http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/index.html

            Increase your knowledge of the great outdoors so you don't have to bring as much stuff to compensate for your lack of knowledge. Here's a cool article on the difference... It's amazing how little you can bring if you are intellectually prepared.
            http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/be_prepared_not_equipped.html

            Good Luck and Have Fun!!!

            --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, "Omi" <gomacs@...> wrote:

            > Hi there,
            >
            > I live in the Santa Cruz area in California. My family and I are avid hikers, and car campers, but have never gone backpacking. I know I'd love it, and am eager to get started. I'm pretty sure my son (8) would be into it too, although my wife is a bit hesitant about carrying all that gear around. Whats the best way to get started?
            >
            > I think a good way would be to find a willing and experienced backpacker or two to go on on a first short trip with. The first trip, I might just do without the family so that I work out all the issues with gear etc. Does that make sense? Anybody willing to do a short trip and show a newbie the ropes?
            >
            > Omi

          • Omi
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 6 12:19 AM
              Thanks everyone for the tips and links. Lots to read and learn!

              The idea of going car camping with just my backpacking gear is a great one, and I hope to do that in a few days.

              Thanks again all!

              --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, "JeremyG" <gustafsj@...> wrote:

              > A great place to start would be www.backpackinglight.com. Especially if you have a child that will be carrying a pack. There are very economical ways of lightening your pack so that everyone can enjoy the trip even more.
              >
              > Here are a couple sections specific for backpacking with children:
              > http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00177.html
              > http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/lightweight_backpacking_gear_kids.html
              > http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/pack.html#Kids
              >
              > Here's a forum discussion that is specific to an 8 yr old:
              > http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=11423
              >
              > This guy has posted a lot of good stuff in relation to gear and keeping it economical:
              > http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/index.html
              >
              > Increase your knowledge of the great outdoors so you don't have to bring as much stuff to compensate for your lack of knowledge. Here's a cool article on the difference... It's amazing how little you can bring if you are intellectually prepared.
              > http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/be_prepared_not_equipped.html
              >
              > Good Luck and Have Fun!!!
              >

              > --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, "Omi" <gomacs@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi there,
              > >
              > > I live in the Santa Cruz area in California. My family and I are avid hikers, and car campers, but have never gone backpacking. I know I'd love it, and am eager to get started. I'm pretty sure my son (8) would be into it too, although my wife is a bit hesitant about carrying all that gear around. Whats the best way to get started?
              > >
              > > I think a good way would be to find a willing and experienced backpacker or two to go on on a first short trip with. The first trip, I might just do without the family so that I work out all the issues with gear etc. Does that make sense? Anybody willing to do a short trip and show a newbie the ropes?
              > >
              > > Omi

            • Omi
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 6 12:23 AM
                Hi there! Thanks for your offer! Whats a good 2-4 day trip that would be reasonable for both of us?

                I'm going to do a camping trip with just backpacking gear in a few days, and then hopefully I'm ready for the real thing! :-)

                Omi

              • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 6 12:44 AM
                  Well you want to start on a weekend trip first (lots of weekends). I first started my 22 old 2 years ago. Last year we went on a four day trip so she get an idea what is required in a long trip like the JMT. I have 2 extra backpacks that you are more than welcome to use. Not sure how far you want to drive. Off hwy 88 at Carson Pass, there trails in lake tahoe there also Point Reyes near SF. Not sure where you are with your gear and how much every thing weigh in. If you like to join me the only thing you will need to have is your food, cloths and a tent unless you want to share one. Right now I have been training with all my gear that I will be carrying for the JMT and 7 to 4 days of food. My longest hike was 12 miles. There is a lot to work out take your time