Re: [BackpackingTalk] Boy Scout Games?

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 11, 2010
      Hey Folks

      Here is a copy (pdf) of the games book (70+ pages) that I developed for
      teaching Scout Games at our council University of Scouting. Most I have
      picked up from other sources.

      For ideas on what to do with your kids at camp look at page 66 for some
      ideas that started with some Canadien Girl Guide leaders.

      If anybody else is interested, please let me know. I enjoy sharing and
      getting ideas from others.

      Here is the list of Camp Challenges I'd like to add to my list, if you
      have a favorite camp activity that is fun for kids, please add it or send it
      to me. The whole point of packing with children is to make it fun for
      them. Ralph
      Oborn

      (from a wonderful group of Canadian Girl Guides) at
      http://guidezone.e-guiding.com/jbchall.htm

      These are camp challenges that you can do at camp. These things can help
      raise awareness for the environment, and make camp more enjoyable for
      yourself and others. Ralph

      1. Recycle an object into something useful

      2. Identify 5 trees

      3. Identify or describe 8 items with a magnifying glass

      4. Find nature items beginning from A to Z

      5. Construct a simple shelter and spend time in it with a friend

      6. Be the first to fall asleep

      7. Pick up 15 pieces of garbage and be prepared to talk about a
      human�s influence on the environment.

      8. Create a poem and read it at Scout�s Own.

      9. Make a treasure keeper

      10. Don�t complain for one day

      11. Make a nature centerpiece for the table

      12. Lying on your back, observe the night sky

      13. Do a good turn

      14. Don�t speak during one meal

      15. Complete Fire Safety questions

      16. Search for a tadpole

      17. Find the most interesting pebble

      18. Lie on your back and record every sound you hear in 15 minutes.

      19. Make notes about wind, clouds and other weather data and make a
      forecast for the next day.

      20. Find a plant that is useful to humans

      21. Turn over a stone or a log and sketch what was under it. Put it back
      when done.

      22. Collect leaves of different shades of green and arrange them from
      darkest to lightest.

      23. Sleep under the stars for 1 night.

      24. Complete an acrostic using the letters in

      N A T U R E.

      25. Sketch your favorite area of camp.

      26. Follow an insect for 5 minutes.

      27. Using one match, light a fire and keep it going for 10 minutes

      28. Identify 8 wildflowers

      29. Build a bird�s nest

      30. Find a spider�s web. Tell where you found it, how big it is and what
      it looks like

      31. Find different nature objects that start with the letters in your
      first name.

      32. Make a sundial

      33. With your group, carry out a 10 minute exercise before breakfast.

      34. Be the first group to have lights out and all quiet at night

      35. Make a tent peg

      36. Invent a new camp gadget.

      37. Teach a new song.

      38. Keep your gear tidy for one day.

      39. Do your duties without being told.

      40. Find north without a compass.

      41. Help plan a Scout�s Own

      42. What is the worst thing that can happen at camp? Present in mime.

      43. Tell how to start a fire without using matches.

      44. How many reef (Square) knots can you tie in a minute?

      45. Learn a new knot.

      46. Play an observation game.

      47. Help plan a campfire program.

      48. Write a short letter to another camper.

      49. Watch a sunrise.

      50. Go for a walk with an old friend. Find five things you have in
      common.

      51. Go for a walk with a new friend. Find five things you have in
      common.

      52. Eat a meal blindfolded.

      53. Make up a cheer or yell for your group.

      54. Learn a new camp grace.

      55. Build a chair for a leader to use at campfire.

      56. Lay a trail for someone else to follow.

      57. Make up a song or rap about camp.

      58. Make a nature mobile.

      59. Make a kite and fly it

      60. Draw a map of the campsite.

      61. Hide a treasure and give at least 5 compass clues to find it.

      62. Make your site comfortable using gadgets you have made.

      63. Feed a leader.

      64. Build a woodpile and keep it dry.

      65. Make and play an instrument.

      66. Do a 30-second commercial for Scouting or Camping

      67. Construct a Liquid Disposal Unit.

      68. Make a stretcher and carry someone on it.

      69. Teach a game.

      70. Design a craft.

      71. Add a new challenge to the list

      * *

      *RAO Additions*

      72. Do a secret good turn

      73. Twist a rope

      74. Whittle a set of chopsticks

      75. Whittle a fork

      76. Write a letter home

      77. Make a willow whistle

      78. Make a treat, and leave it at another campsite, don�t get caught.

      79. Find objects to match all the rainbow colors

      80. Design a treasure hunt

      81. Design a compass course

      82. Watch a mammal for 10 minutes

      83. Follow a leader without being seen

      84. Teach a friend a song

      85. Find five different animals in clouds

      86. Quietly pick up litter

      87. Lash a camp gadget

      88. Tie a hammock

      89. Identify 5 things in the water.

      90. Sit with your eyes closed for 5 minutes, identify the things you
      hear.

      91. Do it again at night.

      92. Sit with your eyes closed for a minute, identify the things you
      smell.

      93. How many different knots can you tie?

      94. Make a map of Camp

    • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 11, 2010
        Hi Ralph, nice list what I would ads is a Scout Camp Compass game. Your need eight stakes marked I, O, U, L, Z, E, A an a unmarked center stake 50 foot rope and a compass(es) for a group of 10. Place the center unmarked stake with the 50 rope attached to it. To set up the course start from the center unmarked stake and go back to the center to set up each stake. I stake 277o, O 340, U 32, L 63, Z 110, P 147, A 180, E 260. Then print out 10 cards with instruction to follow have them right down which marker they reach. (1) start at stake A- proceed 305, 29, 100, 162, 221, (2) start at stake marker E- proceed 358, 68, 140, 198, 252. (3) marker I- 42, 112, 178, 236, 305. (4) O- proceed 100, 162, 287, 358. (5) U- 140, 198, 252, 320, 42. (6) L- proceed 178, 236, 305, 29, 100. (7) Z - proceed 221, 287, 358, 68, 140. (8) P - proceed 252, 320, 42, 112, 178. (9) A - proceed 320, 68, 162, 236, 305. (10) E - proceed 29, 112, 198, 287, 358. If they did this right here is what marker 1) AEOUZP. 2) EIULPA. 3) IOLZAE. 4) OUZPEL, 5) ULPAIO. 6) LZAEOU. 7) ZPEIUL. 8) PAIOLZ. 9) AIUZAE. 10) EOLPEI.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 12, 2010
          --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

          > Hey Folks
          >
          > Here is a copy (pdf) of the games book (70+ pages) that I developed for teaching Scout Games at our council University of Scouting. Most I have picked up from other sources.

          ### I really liked those -- and it brought me back -- to 4-H Camp! Roughly 35 years ago! My boys and I made a return visit in the summer of 2007, and it was exactly as 1997 -- perfect!