Intro

  • Bob Blakey
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2009
      Hello fellow parents... Just want to introduce myself and my situation. I am a father of two great kids, 9 yo boy and 11 yo daughter, and husband to a wonderful young lady. My son and I love getting outdoors when ever we can. We go hiking, camping and swiming but have never seriouly backpacked out to the backcountry. We have been experimenting with backpacking at a local state park that has some walk to campsites. The site is about 300 yards from where you park and into thick woods. We have been carrying limited supplies and food. We hike the trails at this park, about 4 miles each day over a weekend. Not bad so far, but we are working to improve our equipment and add to it with packs, bags and shelters. Looking forward to the groups recommendations and information.

      Talk to everyone real soon...

      Bob from Kansas City
    • Dave Mangot
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 7, 2009
        Bob,

        Best way to do it is to jump in and try it just like you've been doing. Try and find good used gear or "seconds". My backpacking tent is from a North Face outlet and was like 75% off because there is some magic marker on the carrying bag, otherwise, perfect. You will probably change what's in your "kit" quite a bit over the years.
        Check out some of the websites people mention in the archives (Sierra Trading Post, Campmor, etc.)

        I just took my 3 year old and three of her friends (with their dads), backpacking last month. We only hiked in 1-1/2 miles but the girls (all 4 kids were girls) had a blast (hint, glowsticks!). With a 9 y.o and 11 y.o. you can actually really get out to some great places.

        One of the best ways to find a great spot is to talk to the ranger at the park. They know where all the great spots are and are almost always super nice. Adjust what they say to what you feel your and your kids capabilities are of course.

        Good luck!

        -Dave in SF