more than i can chew?

  • tarbubble
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2002
      well, i almost wasn't going on my little trip this weekend, but not
      because of my dad's worries. it's a long story, but the problem has
      suddenly, happily disappeared & so i'm heading out - i talked my
      sister into a spur-of-the-moment trip to Sequoia NP! we'll be car
      camping & day-hiking with our wee ones (her son is 8 months old) for
      three days, i'm so excited!

      sloe, thanks for reinforcing what i already felt in my heart about my
      safety on the trail. i'm not *afraid*, never really was, but after
      lugging Paul around all by myself in Glacier NP for a day, i realize
      that traveling alone with a baby is just plain HARD. having another
      adult with me, even if they have a baby too, will make things
      immensely easier. i'll let everybody know how it goes!

      -e
    • Sloetoe
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2002
        --- tarbubble <tarbubble@...> wrote:
        > sloe, thanks for reinforcing what i already felt in my heart
        > about my safety on the trail. i'm not *afraid*, never really
        was, but after lugging Paul around all by myself in Glacier NP
        for a day, i realize that traveling alone with a baby is just
        plain HARD. having another adult with me, even if they have a
        baby too, will make things immensely easier. i'll let everybody
        know how it goes! -e

        ###
        1) You're very welcome.
        2) Don't forget that, for as much as we observe ferociously fast
        change in our children (but hmmmm, not in our selves. curious),
        you *will* have another chance at going out whilst Paul is
        small.
        3) Going out with kids (let's remember folks) truely *is* not
        just a walk in the park -- I found out this year, backpacking
        the Appalachian Trail [in UNseasonable heat!] from Vermont into
        the Whites of New Hampshire. *Tough* trail, 160 miles I think.

        http://gallery.backcountry.net/papabear_section_4 click
        "slideshow" -- not my pics, but REALLY nice, and done just a
        month before... In unrelenting sun, no breeze, low water, ....

        My kids are Tough! Long Trail "End-to-End"ers! At age 7!!!
        They're 8 now! should be a cinch......
        But the BIGGEST difference between last year (which was a
        BREEZE) and this was that last year we were able to "train" --
        to practice, drill, discover soft spots to finesse around, all
        that sort of thing. This year it was (unavoidably) "Ready! GO!"
        and even though they were a year older, stuffing bags and
        bivies, tying boots, getting water, keeping clean -- Alllll that
        sort of stuff, was somehow *harder*, even though the boys are a
        year older. [BIG CAUTION: DO NOT think that once you teach your
        kids something -- as simple as how to stuff a bag or to properly
        pack their pack -- that they will never have to relearn such
        knowledge FROM SCRATCH again. Like staying away from the light
        socket, expect to reteach it again and again and again.
        Patience. Don't be disappointed: you did a great job the first
        time. Keep it up.] So, the REAL point is, if you can do
        "homework" before you go, like "Let's pretend it's raining and
        see how fast can we pack up!" exercises, the trip goes LOTS
        easier; but even if you DO those things, expect to REdo them
        next year, too. Or take it slower. Or go, by Jingo, with a
        friend.
        And 4thly) While Paul (or any of our youngsters) is small, as
        yourself the question before you go on a trip: "If I were to
        fall, twist an ankle, and incapacitate myself for 72 hours,
        would my *child* survive?" As adults, we carry much more reserve
        in energy, temperature and hydration than our small people, and
        while 72 hours on your back waiting for a rescue might not be
        real comfy, when push comes to shove we could do it. Laying
        down, for goodness' sake. But if you were unable to get water,
        have you trundled off so far that your small person's life would
        be endangered? A question, that.

        So yeah I'm trying to get a trip report together. Phew! Trying
        to buy a computer so I can relax and do it at home. Scanned 35mm
        pictures at 1hourphoto place -- WHAT a waste of money. Looking
        forward to getting a Kodak LS420 digital camera for next time,
        hoo yeah boy.

        Yeah, so, keep it up, M!
        'Toe

        =====