Anyone from Utah?

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 15, 2009
      I'm taking my oldest son (almost 8), and his best friend backpacking this weekend into the High Uintas. Nothing too demanding, since this will be our first attempt, and I'm a little leary about straying far from population since it's just the 3 of us. I'm leaving the hubby and 3 yr old at home - the former not interested in the possible 'struggles' of taking the kids out this young - the latter will remain 'uninformed' ;).

      At any rate, I'm wondering if there are any others in my area that are in a similar situation, or if there are any backpacking (kid-friendly) groups in the area. If this trip goes well, I'd like to do another later this season, and would love some adult company.
    • sloetoe
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 15, 2009
        ### Would you mind if we all cheered wildly from the sidelines??

        sloetoe
        (Indianapolis)

        -- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, "Deb" <hibbardz@...> wrote:

        > I'm taking my oldest son (almost 8), and his best friend backpacking this weekend into the High Uintas. Nothing too demanding, since this will be our first attempt, and I'm a little leary about straying far from population since it's just the 3 of us. I'm leaving the hubby and 3 yr old at home - the former not interested in the possible 'struggles' of taking the kids out this young - the latter will remain 'uninformed' ;).
        >
        > At any rate, I'm wondering if there are any others in my area that are in a similar situation, or if there are any backpacking (kid-friendly) groups in the area. If this trip goes well, I'd like to do another later this season, and would love some adult company.

      • hope_73s
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 15, 2009
          Hi Deb,

          Good for you!
          Unfortunately we live in Southern California so we won't be able to hike with you but I wanted to chime in and say how much I've enjoyed taking my 10 year old, his friend, and my 6 year old out backpacking.

          I've found that simple 3-mile per day backpacking trips work great and since I've been reading the Yahoo group backpackinglight our gear has become very managable.

          One safety tip -- I carry pen and paper in case of a sprained ankle or other immobilizing emergency. Why? Well, since I always pick trails that are fairly popular, if there is a problem I can write a note with details of our location, description of the problem, and phone number of someone (dad) to contact in order to send help. My plan would be to ask a good Samaritan to hike out to cell phone coverage and send assistance.

          I think you'll have a great time and would love to read a post about your adventures!

          Elizabeth
        • Deb
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 16, 2009
            Thanks for the encouragement and the tips at least. :) I forgot how much work it is stuffing sleeping bags into those tiny stuff sacs - Let alone 3 of them. I'm looking forward to taking my youngest some day too, but he can't quite handle the distance just yet. Maybe next summer.
          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 16, 2009
              Keep it short so it is still fun for the kids. Look how short their legs
              are.

              Do some practice day hikes in the canyons in your area (donught Falls etc)

              When kids are worn out they really don't care how good the fishing is.

              Ralph (just north in Pocatello)