Fw: Promo for Backpacking with Children

  • Tom McGinnis
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2009
      Here goes nothing!

      > Get your kids outdoors for National Trails Day! Hiker
      > dad Tom McGinnis shares the challenges and joys of getting
      > your kids outdoors in a live online seminar 7 PM EDT, Thu June 4. http://www.lovetohike.com

      Bring it up and pose your toughest questions!
      (Stump me! Shouldn't be too hard!!!)
    • Adrian
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 19, 2009
        Jeff, I raised six children and took them camping and snow camping but, never all six at one time. If the children (especially the younger ones) have not had any previous experience backpacking, you will have to be more cautious. Their conditioning can be an issue with children under nine. I always took our trips right after the end of a sports season, to insure best conditioning.
        I would recommend renting as opposed to purchasing 'gear' to deflect the cost of first couple of trips. I cut cost by sewing gear for my sons -backpacks, windbreakers, etc.
        You being the family 'pack mule' will carry all sorts of things that would make the packs of the younger ones to heavy. I always limited my children to a maximum pack weight of twenty percent of their body weight. A sixty pound child would therefore have a maximum pack weight of TWELVE POUNDS!
        Making a check list for each child is a valuable tool I have found. This tool also allows you to insure that the younger ones can carry a few things but, not be overloaded. I would recommend the older children carry the stoves and fuel bottles. They don't take up much room, their weight versus their volume is relatively high but, total weight is not that great. But with all you have to carry for the youngest ones, it will ease your burden... a little. Start packing the packs several days before the trip starts. There will always be last minute stuff to keep things interesting.
        These trips are usually fun but, many times you need a vacation to recover from your vacation trip, as Ralph mentioned. They do provide priceless memories, so be sure to take many pictures.

        Jarod, where is it that bugs are not a problem this time of the year? One reason I love backpacking in the autumn, the few mosquitoes left have very mild stings. Going snow camping eliminates all the other burdensome creatures, for those of us who enjoy the cold weather.

        My sewing projects are displayed in the photo album, "Adrian's Gang/Backpacking Trip."
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backpackingwithchildren/photos/album/1856622406/pic/list

        Good Luck -Adrian