Baby to South America: Too risky?

  • You'll have to find out.
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 27, 2009
      Hi all,
      I'm new to this group, but I'd like some advice on the above subject.
      My husband and I are planning on going on a backpacking trip next summer. We will have a 3 month old baby by then. My husband is from Venezuela, so we'd be going to see his family there, but we will be travelling in other areas of South America as well. We're quite used to backpacking, we did it in India and across Eastern Europe, but I'm just a bit worried about if maybe the baby would be too young...? My first flight was at 4 months of age, but only a 5 hour journey.
      Just wanted to get some other people's views...
      Thanks for reading!
    • wixlet@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 27, 2009
        On 4/27/09, You'll have to find out. <Cinzia@...> wrote:
        > We're quite used to backpacking, we did it in India and across Eastern Europe, but I'm just a bit worried about if maybe the baby would be too young...? My first flight was at 4 months of age, but only a 5 hour journey.

        Really, it depends upon your baby and his/her disposition and health,
        which you can't truly anticipate. Personally, I would not make *firm*
        plans for travel so soon. At six months, absolutely! (provided that
        you aren't dealing with any chronic health issues), but not at three
        months.

        wen
      • shumani winyan
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 27, 2009
          I would plan it at four months. At three months baby is going to have a growth spurt and be nursing all the time. At four months baby is still exclusively nursing and taking two good  naps. So no worries about bad food and water.  Just take good care of the mommy..lots of sleep and hydration to keep up your milk supply.  Pace yourself.. eat a lot of nutrient dense foods etc.  All of my kids have done trips early.  My second was three months when we did a two day car trip to camp in Tennessee.  It was great.   I carted my third 2000 miles by car to Idaho to go to a primitive skills camp ...camping all  along the way...as the only adult when he was 7 months,  with a 4 year old and a 9 year old. Have a great time.

          ki
          mom to three kids who run naked through the woods.

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 28, 2009
            ### I'm certain I won't be the first/only person to throw this caution to you, but there'd be no way I'd be going with an infant while we have a developing flu pandemic going on. I would not move until 6+ months until after this situation has been declared stabilized (flare-ups are notorious with these sorts of things).

            --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, "You'll have to find out." <Cinzia@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            > I'm new to this group, but I'd like some advice on the above subject.
            > My husband and I are planning on going on a backpacking trip next summer. We will have a 3 month old baby by then. My husband is from Venezuela, so we'd be going to see his family there, but we will be travelling in other areas of South America as well. We're quite used to backpacking, we did it in India and across Eastern Europe, but I'm just a bit worried about if maybe the baby would be too young...? My first flight was at 4 months of age, but only a 5 hour journey.
            > Just wanted to get some other people's views...
            > Thanks for reading!

          • franaramadingdong
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 28, 2009
              Hi! I'm remembering hiking with my baby at a young age -- she may have been 5 or 6 months and was solely nursing. A primary concern at that time was that she'd be too hot in her carrier. I don't know how the weather will be, but keep in mind that a child that tiny has heat regulation issues still. So he or she may be unable to adapt to changes in temperatures and... altitude?

              Wishing your family well!
            • Cinzia Sasha Mengoli Pereira
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 28, 2009
                Thanks
                :)
                Cinzia

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 28, 2009
                  Thanks for the tips
                  That's really useful :)
                  Cinzia

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 28, 2009
                    Ok, thanks for your caution :)
                    Cinzia

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 28, 2009
                      Thanks for the tips :)
                      Cinzia

                    • debsdancer@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 29, 2009
                        One more caution, not to sound like a negative nellie... but I took a *one-night* trip with my 2 1/2 month old and although HE did just fine, my body was not ready to be carrying baby + gear uphill over distance. I was horrified, I think of myself as very fit and it was distressing to me to realize that my body was still healing and I couldn't manage a silly one night trip (after a completely natural home birth--? I can't even imagine trying it after a? Caesarean!).? So, just another reason to not book any tickets yet- wait until you're finished with the birth experience and see how you're rebounding AND how the baby's doing. And I'd second the thought about the new flu scare. Babies that small are much more susceptible, and even if you choose to vaccinate the child won't have had all vaccines yet. And you'll most likely be further from medical help than usual.? Seriously, I'm all for keeping up all the things you like to do after baby's born, but I had a rather rude wake-up call myself so don't rule out that possibility.

                      • Tom Smolen
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 30, 2009
                          we took a 7 month old to india.  saving grace is he was nursing and we needed to deal very little with the local water for him.

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 1, 2009
                            That's quite a good point (about allowing own body to adjust). I hadn't quite realised how bad the swine flu was...
                            We weren't thinking of booking tickets just yet, but I just wanted to get others' opinion ont he matter.
                            Thanks everybody :)

                            --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, debsdancer@... wrote:

                            > One more caution, not to sound like a negative nellie... but I took a *one-night* trip with my 2 1/2 month old and although HE did just fine, my body was not ready to be carrying baby + gear uphill over distance. I was horrified, I think of myself as very fit and it was distressing to me to realize that my body was still healing and I couldn't manage a silly one night trip (after a completely natural home birth--? I can't even imagine trying it after a? Caesarean!).? So, just another reason to not book any tickets yet- wait until you're finished with the birth experience and see how you're rebounding AND how the baby's doing. And I'd second the thought about the new flu scare. Babies that small are much more susceptible, and even if you choose to vaccinate the child won't have had all vaccines yet. And you'll most likely be further from medical help than usual.? Seriously, I'm all for keeping up all the things you like to do after baby's born, but I had a rather rude wake-up call myself so don't rule out that possibility.

                          • mahkagari
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 4, 2009
                              --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, "You'll have to find out." <Cinzia@...> wrote:

                              > That's quite a good point (about allowing own body to adjust). I hadn't quite realised how bad the swine flu was...

                              Is it though? For Venezuela? I don't think it's gotten significant in S. America. I wouldn't call myself knowledgable, but I'd be more worried about Texas with its proximity to the "hot zone" and collapsing football arenas than Venezuela.