WELCOME, new members! And "experience"...

  • sloetoe
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2008
      We've had a half dozen sign up for BPwC in the last week. I'd like to
      officially welcome them. Interestingly, there seemed to be a common
      thread:

      "I'm (re-)starting backpacking, and wish to bring my young (2-5yo)
      into the woods. Looking for advice."

      First, although mostly US members, BPwC has a great variety of hikers
      on it, in terms of locale (global tropics to northern and southern
      extremes), children (newborns on up), and experience (newbs to "old
      hands").

      I can't comment on 'bringing children into the fold' right now, except
      for the following truism (for which I'll claim some degree of
      uniqueness "Hey! Look, Ma! A contribution to knowledge!")

      Experience is based on miles, not age.

      That's it. That's my contribution. Seems simple, don't it? What it
      means in operation is that hiking does not depend on the age of the
      child nearly so much as what that child has experienced beforehand.

      For myself, I started hiking (by which I mean, formal backpacking)
      when I was 14, and thought I was going to die. I was exhausted, my
      feet hurt, my shoulders ached, I wondered "How on EARTH would any sane
      person VOLUNTARILY do this???" I taught myself, planned out hikes with
      my buddies for every school vacation, and 4 years later, hiked the
      Appalachian Trail. But those first few years/hikes were quite the
      affair!!!

      My kids, on the other hand, were raised "hiking". In the BPwC photo
      section is a shot of them hiking hand in hand (with little packs on!)
      tooling out of Davenport Gap, headed to Hot Springs, NC on the
      Appalachian Trail. At 4.5 years old, they hiked their Mom and I into
      the ground. Yowie.

      But, to get back to "Experience is based on miles, not age" I would
      not *think* of heading off into the woods with people who'd not walked
      a bit, and think I could repeat something I'd done with 4.5 yo's with
      a 10 year old neophyte. Or a 30 year old neophyte.

      Various emails on the site have discussions of who's taken X aged
      child over Y many miles of Z terrain, and I'd encourage you to search
      for those, except in just trying, it seems that Yahoo!'s search
      mechanism is non compos mentis for the time being. (But maybe you can
      start a new discussion?? And maybe people in your area, familiar with
      the intended terrain/weather, will freshly chime in?? Do that!)

      Later all,
      'toe
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2008
        On 4/2/08, sloetoe <sloetoe@...> wrote:

        > We've had a half dozen sign up for BPwC in the last week. I'd like to

        I mentioned the list on the backpackinglight list,
        seems only fair to retur the favor.

        Anyway a couple of the new folks may have poped over from there, welcome
        and tell us more.

        Ralph

      • dicentra
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
          I am one of those people!! Thank you for the invite. :)

          ~Teresa (and the Madster)

          Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote: On 4/2/08, sloetoe <sloetoe@...> wrote:

          > We've had a half dozen sign up for BPwC in the last week. I'd like to

          I mentioned the list on the backpackinglight list,
          seems only fair to retur the favor.

          Anyway a couple of the new folks may have poped over from there, welcome
          and tell us more.

          Ralph

          http://www.onepanwonders.com
          http://www.freewebs.com/dicentra

          Madster's Mommy

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
            Me too!

            On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 10:04 AM, dicentra <dicentragirl@...> wrote:

            > I am one of those people!! Thank you for the invite. :)
            >
            > ~Teresa (and the Madster)
            >
            > Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote: On
            > 4/2/08, sloetoe <sloetoe@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > We've had a half dozen sign up for BPwC in the last week. I'd like to
            >
            > I mentioned the list on the backpackinglight list,
            > seems only fair to retur the favor.
            >
            > Anyway a couple of the new folks may have poped over from there, welcome
            > and tell us more.
            >
            > Ralph

            > http://www.onepanwonders.com
            > http://www.freewebs.com/dicentra
            >
            > Madster's Mommy

            Jeremy A Mayo
            jmayo33021@...
            Mobile (740) 836-4037

          • Elaine
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
              I'm from BPL also!

              I think what many of us MIGHT have thought in learning about UL
              packing was that if we had lighter gear we could compensate for our
              kid's limited carrying capacity. So we researched UL. And in my case
              invested in $$$ of UL equipment. Most of which is too fragile to use
              with kids.

              One area I thought about a lot, though, was cooking/fire. I ended up
              buying the BushBuddy (you can google it I think), and using TI cups
              and freezerbags for cooking. I didn't want to use alcohol burners or
              solid fuel with kids around. I could see them getting the flaming
              stuff on them and, well, not a pretty image. The bush buddy is a
              "twig burner". Great fun for the kids and boils water alright. Not
              sure about using it where there are burn limitations, but we'll deal
              with that when we get there. There are always energy bars in the bag...

              Anyway, glad to have found this group. I'm starting back at post 1
              and reading a little at a time to catch up. I know there's GREAT info
              in the archives!

              Elaine (w/ boys 7 and 10 - I take them "out" ONE at a TIME - for now)
              in Maryland

              --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy Mayo"
              <jmayo33021@...> wrote:

              > Me too!
              >
              > On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 10:04 AM, dicentra <dicentragirl@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I am one of those people!! Thank you for the invite. :)
              > >
              > > ~Teresa (and the Madster)
              > >
              > > Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote: On
              > > 4/2/08, sloetoe <sloetoe@...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > We've had a half dozen sign up for BPwC in the last week. I'd
              like to

              > > I mentioned the list on the backpackinglight list,
              > > seems only fair to retur the favor.
            • Matthew
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
                Hi Elaine!