Re: Looking for a backpack for 10-year-old

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
      http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?
      Screen=PROD&Product_Code=157839&Category_Code=93

      This is what my daughter uses. She is 9 yrs old, and a little small for
      her size. It fits perfect and holds everything she needs for a weekend
      backpacking trip. I carry nothing for her (except tarp and stove), if
      she needs it, she carries it. We roll the sleeping mat (cut down to her
      size) and put it in vertically in the pack and let it expand, sleeping
      bag gets stuffed in the middle of the mat, and a small pillow and
      clothes on top. Most everything else is small enough to fit into the
      side pockets. We have done 8 mi days with no complaints!

      If the link does not work, it is... majorsurplusnsurvival.com
      look for the backpacks > commercial backpacks > "Ascent 35".
    • Mireille Halley
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
        What is the torso length on that one?

        -Mireille Halley, CD, CLEC

        Certified Birth Doula (DONA)

        Childbirth Educator (ALACE)

        Certificated Lactation Educator Counselor (UCSD)

        Ordinary <http://www.ordinary-miracles.com/> Miracles - Birth &
        Breastfeeding Classes, Birth Doula Services, Birth Pool Rental and Belly
        Casting in LA and Orange counties

        If the link does not work, it is... majorsurplusnsurvival.com
        look for the backpacks > commercial backpacks > "Ascent 35".

      • sloetoe
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
          --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, "Linda"
          <lindackerr@...> wrote:

          > I need to get my 10-year-old daughter her own backpack, suitable
          for an overnight.... And she likes
          > hiking, as long as she doesn't have to carry anything heavy - which
          > means our planned overnight may turn into me carrying most of her
          stuff.

          ### Oops. Read too fast; missed this part.
          If this is just an overnight, use anything you think will do --
          really. You don't need the hassle of choosing for a lifetime right
          now, nor should you/she feel any pressure from an "investment" which
          a good pack is. (No, it's not $1,000,000, but there are lessons to
          be learned about not going "all out" on a whim. Let your
          daughter "earn" her first pack.)(My opinion, anyway.)

          ### If you feel she's "going places", then by all means, cart her
          around, check out every possible pack (she'll be bored, but she'll
          know you mean business), and investigate her pack with the same
          effort (required of her and you!) that you'd put into your own pack
          purchase. When trip time comes, she'll *own* that pack like she'd
          made it herself -- it would be *her* equipment, on *her* trip --
          something you can't just buy. (Boy-n-howdy, it worked massively for
          me, at any rate.)

          sloetoe