Flying with Baby Ideas that worked for us

  • Kari
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2006
      Tom,

      We never flew that far but we did a few trips from TX to HI, then in about 3
      days time we did HI to MN then to TX, back to MN, back to HI (did that route
      twice) and then from HI to CA. Lots of flying with kids.

      When they are 6 months old they are generally easy to keep happy. We
      brought favorite toys & books, those kind for the bathtub are great cuz they
      can chew on that. Im not big on medicating but we always traveled with
      Hylands baby teething tablets, they really seemed to work wonders for both
      my boys esp when they were trying to sleep while teething. Also that long
      of a flight you will want to get some baby Tylenol or something similar.

      Make sure you have enough formula if you bottle fed. Gerber makes some
      really good baby foods that are fruits & veggies but very snack like to a
      young child. Some dissolve in their mouth so they would be okay for a 6
      month old. If you are doing juice that is really nice to get them to
      swallow during those ear popping times. We didn't give the boys a lot at
      that age so it was a real treat & they didn't fight drinking it.

      A mirror is great fun too, nothing like looking at that baby in the mirror.

      If the baby gets restless we always walked the cabin floor or went up to the
      galley area, the flight attendants were really cool. On some flights we got
      extra treats, like the warm chocolate chip cookies that are for the crew,
      yum.

      Im not sure how the regulations on flying are now but we used to get away
      with a lot of extra baggage. You used to get 1 bag per person and then you
      could have 1 or 2 extras per person. Extras were briefcases, purses, diaper
      bags, laptop computers, that sort of thing. Since we bought 4 seats, we got
      4 carry ons plus 4 to 8 extras. We never need that much, but flying from NY
      to India with a baby you might.

      Also be sure the carry on has a least one change of clothes for everyone
      that might be holding the baby. That's one thing we didn't do was pack my
      hubby a spare shirt & he got a really bad spit up one time. Lesson
      learned.lol.

      Oh we always paid the extra money to get the baby a seat. I couldn't
      imagine holding a baby in my lap all the way to India & if you have an
      approved car seat the feeling on something familiar really helps them to
      stay calm.

      Hope this helped,

      Kari

      _____

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2006
        DEFINITELY agree with the bulkhead seat-- most if not all airlines can provide their own
        bassinets which hook to the wall, for not much additional cost. Only problem is these go
        early so you may have limited choice of flights, so book early. We flew Toronto-Sydney
        when our son was 3 months, 23 hour flight, OMG, he was fine but his parents were
        wrecked LOL. (Bulkhead also gives you the luxury of more legroom.) At 6 mos you should
        also be fine, its when they are older and on two legs you probably want to avoid long
        flights.

        No need for meds except Daddy would have appreciated it!

        Jay

        --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@...>
        wrote:

        > > Anyone here ever taken a 6 month old baby on a flight to another
        > > continent?
        > > We're going from NY to India. Looking for advice besides make sure the
        > > baby
        > > has a way to pop his ears - we're bringing a bottle and a pacifier for
        > > that.
        >
        > Ask for a bulkhead seat. A lot of planes have these little hammock slings
        > that attatch to ready made holes in the bulkhead. That allows you to lay
        > the baby in it to sleep.
        >
        > A good shot of Benydril never hurts.
        >
        > Shane

      • Ron Tavernier
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 2006
          Yeah, I wasn't advocating no medication at all, if the kid needs it. Just
          not as a first resort.

          Last flight to the East Coast

          1 - We leave the plane in Seattle. Left Fairbanks 8pm, got into Seattle
          1am. 10 or 12 comments - "You had the best behaved childfren. Elyse was
          2.5 years old, Isaac 6 months.

          2- Leave Seattle at 1:30 am, arrive Boston 6 hours later. No one will make
          eye contact. No one will even look near us.

          Elyse will not sleep unless there is no excitement. Planes are too
          exciting. She pretty much screamed straight from 3am until 5am. We tried a
          few things that worked here and there.

          Timeouts in the bathroom. We sat in there with her while she screamed.
          Wasn't pleasant, but we were insulated from the rest of the plane. She
          also hated it and tended to calm down.

          We had a portable dvd player, although we don't own a TV. It was
          mesmerizing, but still didn't put her to sleep.

          As mentioned - lots of new toys and trinkits.

          Get the extra seat if you can afford it. Gives them their own space, and
          you can trap the kid(s) in between you and insulate the other passengers
          more. You also get to carry extra bags for them. They get the two check
          pieces and their own carry ons.

          Hey, you are travelling with kids. You are going to have meltdowns.
          Everytime they start to scream, I know how they feel. Being an adult, I
          can't scream. They can. No one like to sit for that long. Especially a
          kid. We got stuck on the runway for 4 hours last summer while they tried
          to fix the septic system. We dealt with it.

          You aren't there to make friends, and as some one said - The rest can get
          stuffed. Take it with a grain of salt. Last time we travelled, in the
          middle of a screaming fit, I stood up and asked if any of the business
          people were missing their kids anymore. Told them all I was trying to make
          them feel all at home. Got a bunch of smiles and one "F&*( You". Made me
          laugh.

          Ron Tavernier

          "To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it,
          requires brains."
          Mary Pettibone Poole (from A Glass Eye at a Keyhole, 1938)
        • Tom Jones
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 9, 2006
            Kari,
            We did buy a seat and bring the car seat with us. The poor guy in front of car seat, though, couldn't recline for an entire 15 hour flight because of the size of the carseat and base. He was unhappy but we managed a switch for him so the seat in front of baby could be empty.

            If you bring your car seat to a non-western world country, don't forget the "clip" that helps bind the seatbelts together. Most cars in say, India or China like places don't have LATCH hooks for the seat nor do they have seatbelts that lock when you pull them out entirely and let them go back in. The only way to restrain the baby and seat is to use the clip that holds the belts together to keep them from sliding. Also, you usually have to ask the car driver to dig out the seat belt buckles so you can fasten the seat belt to begin with!