Seattle

  • Baba Kofi Weusijana
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2006
      What are good places to go and things to do in and near Seattle, WA?
      I have an overly bold 3-year old daughter and a timid (scared of spiders
      & bears) wife. The cops recently ended up killing a bear that managed
      to get into the city near the University of Washington. This has only
      made matters worse.
    • Jennifer
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 6, 2006
        We haven't been here long, but my first two thoughts are Olympic
        Peninsula and the North Cascades (so gorgeous as very lush mountains).
        The Olympic Peninsula has a rainforest. Levenworth (sp?) is a neat
        town near lots of outdoor adventures.
        Hope that helps. I'm not keen on spiders and bears either (and bees).
        Jennifer

        --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, "Baba Kofi Weusijana"
        <Kofi@...> wrote:

        > What are good places to go and things to do in and near Seattle, WA?
        > I have an overly bold 3-year old daughter and a timid (scared of
        spiders
        > & bears) wife. The cops recently ended up killing a bear that managed
        > to get into the city near the University of Washington. This has only
        > made matters worse.

      • Jeff Hargis
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 6, 2006
          wrote:

          > What are good places to go and things to do in and near Seattle, WA?
          > I have an overly bold 3-year old daughter and a timid (scared of spiders
          > & bears) wife. The cops recently ended up killing a bear that managed
          > to get into the city near the University of Washington. This has only
          > made matters worse.

          Olympic National Park. The hike into Cape Alava would be a good choice with a 3 year
          old because the trail is flat (mostly wide boardwalk) and only about 3 miles. Once you hit
          Ocean, head north and set up camp up off the beach above high tide. Here you should
          see deer, eagles, sea otters, maybe some whales. When the tide goes out, search for
          critters in the pools left behind....All kinds of cool stuff. We did'nt have trouble with bears
          or spiders while there.

          For some pictures:

          http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hiker867/detail?.dir=5207&.dnm=42a1.jpg&.src=ph

          Have fun!

          Jeff Hargis.
        • Wayne Riley
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 7, 2006
            I like to use the slackpacker web site to find new hiking spots.
            http://www.slackpacker.com/map_wa.html

            Happy Hiking,

            Wayne

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 7, 2006
              I usually use the slackpacker web site to look for new hiking locations.