Re: Sarong experiment.

  • Leslie
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2 4:15 PM
      When my child was 16 months I made my own backpack/carrier so I could
      go backpacking with her and carry everything (all gear & her)
      myself ... and still use it now that she's 3. Although she walks part
      of the way now.

      Here's how I made it ...
      I took a child carrier (backpack with frame and seat for child and sun
      shade) and bought and attached a mesh backpack that went from the
      child's back and angled down to my lower back ... filled it with gear
      and then attached it to the frame with straps ... with the zipper out
      so I didn't have to take the mesh bag off the frame to get stuff out.
      I took the straps off an old exterior frame backpack I found at a
      thrift store for $3-8. I put one wide strap across my lower back
      attaching it to the child carrier's frame on each side. this helped
      hold the bag off the child's legs so it wouldn't pinch them to my back.

      I'm able to carry all my gear and the child and go it solo or go out
      with friends ... since my husband doesn't go, I needed to be able to
      carry all. I always take some duct tape, wire, extra straps, etc. in
      case something breaks on the trail and I have to do repairs because
      the child carrier was not made for that much weight so I take that
      precaution and treat it gently.

      Usually I also need a little more room for last minute gear so I took
      a removeable pack off the back of another child carrier we have and
      attach it to the top or the bottom of the mesh bag using the snapes it
      came with. Or I'll sometimes take a large fanny pack and wear it too.

      Anyways, it's a sight to see but works like a charm except I notice I
      walk a little more leaning forward to make up for the weight being so
      far behind me. I hope this idea helps you. I definitely have to
      readjust it several times during each trip to redistribute the load to
      see what feels better on my back. But I love the independence of it.
      Sure wish the manufacturers would make one but there's probably no
      demand for it yet.

      Another idea someone on the trail gave me was to look on eBay for a
      very old outer frame backpack that curves over your shoulder so you
      can carry gear on front and back. The guy thought I could add a child
      seat to it and distribute the load more comfortably but I haven't seen
      one to try it yet.

      Leslie
    • Leslie
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2 4:20 PM
        When my child was 15 months I wore the child in a ring sling on
        front with my backpack with gear on back and also tried to wear her
        in a Baby Bjorn on front with gearpack on my back but it was very
        uncomfortable with all that weight on the shoulders for extended
        periods of time even though the gearpack had the hip belt, etc.

        I'd suggest trying it all day with approximate weight in your pack
        that you'll be carrying and the child too first and see how your
        body holds out ... especially if you're going up in elevation at all.

        Just a suggestion.
        Leslie

        --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, "Emma Eyeball"