Re: kids hike clothing

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
      Depending on where you are, a "surfshirt" might also be called
      a "rashshirt" (what we call them up here), or a "sunshirt".
      Basically it's a stretchy shirt of synthetic material with an SPF
      rating, generally SPF 30 or better. I think they were first
      designed for use by younger surfers and boaters, but they are
      generally useful in the outdoors. For the littlest children, there
      are whole "sunsuits" or "swimsuits" or "beachsuits" or "rashsuits"
      made of the same material, that cover from knees to elbows.

      Jim
      Ottawa

      --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, "gaabrielbecket"
      <gaabrielbecket@...> wrote:

      > What is a "surf shirt"? Is it a specific type of material or just
      > shirt you'd throw on them at the beach? Sorry, just never heard
      that
      > term before.
      >
      > --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, Noelle Schwartz
      > <nps2@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Firstly.
      > > THE LIGHTER THE BETTER!
      > >
      > > Clothing for kids we have found that we do well putting ours in
      > bathing
      > > suit shorts and surfshirts (shirts used to protect from sun and
      > rashes)
      > > The bathing stuff we have found washes out well and dries
      quickly
      > should
      > > you encounter "mud or sudden showers" (with boys who wouldn't?)
      > (check
      > > out L.L.Bean) For day to day on the trail stuff.
      > > Around camp and for cooler days zip-off nylon pants, Polytec
      long
      > > underwear top and bottom, a micro-fleece sweater, a polar-fleece
      > > sweater/jacket. socks, hat and mittens(fleece) and rain gear
      top
      > and
      > > bottom. This about does it for them. Oh a set of nice clothes
      > for
      > > "town" Try Campmor for kids hiking/ outdoor clothing!
      > >
      > > So this is what has /is working for us!
      > >
      > > Noelle& Dan,
      > > B9yrs, D7yrs

    • kiddingmeagain
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
        In regards to the question of

        "What is a "surf shirt"?

        I am going to assume that they are talking about a rash guard. I never
        really thought about using them for hiking. I insist on them for when
        we are surfing or even a whole day in the pool to prevent sunburn. My
        son likes to wear them all of the time so I will give it a try when
        hiking. Great idea!!

        I have noticed that places like Target are starting to sell them to
        find cheaper ones. Also you can find them on e-bay used and in swim
        shops (online too). On e-bay I have bought some real cool used
        competition ones for my teenagers.