Re: [backpackingwithchildren] OT Carcamping with infant.

  • scott patterson
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2006
      <<<I'm looking for some good, practical thoughts and advice about taking an 8-10 month old infant car camping for a few days in the Adirondacks.

      Given this is our first, we're very nervous and want to do it right for us as well as the baby.>>>

      <<<Any advice???>>>

      My advice is don't be nervous at all. Car camping in the Adirondacks is nothing to worry about. By the time our sone was that age, we had taken him backpacking in several countries and on some really long multi-day hikes. No problems. Just keep the kid warm, and don't worry about much.
      Here are a few pictures of our baby at seven months:

      http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=102485&context_id=177451

      http://www.summitpost.org/image/40044/150306/it-s-a-fairly-long-walk-to.html

      http://www.summitpost.org/image/47779/152466/colorado-mines-peak;-mount-flora.html

      You seriously have nothing unusual to worry about when car camping at that age. That's about the best advice I can give.

    • Mary Janowski
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2006
        I am glad that things went so very well with Scott's baby at such an
        early age, but all babies are very different & I feel compelled to
        chime in here, mostly so that the originator of this post won't get
        discouraged if things don't quite work out (or if he happens to have
        a more high need type baby).

        My husband & I are avid hikers, backbackers & mountain climbers. We
        had our 1st child in Feb. 2005 & were planning to take her car
        camping & backpacking in the summer of '05. She was (& is) a very
        happy & healthy baby who has always had VERY little need for sleep
        (even now). As of now (she is 13 months old), we still haven't
        gotten a decent nights sleep since she was born & as much as we
        wanted to go camping (& backpackng) with her, we were just too darn
        tired & sleep deprived! Plus, she likes to be on the move herself,
        so car rides more than 30 minutes or plane flights make her crazy
        (she almost never sleeps in the car or on a plane- there's too much
        that she wants to check out). She loves to be outside & we take her
        on walks & near by hikes as ofter as possible.

        My point is that is might work out very handliy for you & I hope that
        is does. But please know that there may be a lot of reasons why it
        may not work for you & your family the way you had hoped & that's
        OK. You need to do what works for you & eventually it will happen.

        I do not intened to be discouraging, quite the contrary. I felt
        deflated & cheated for a while because I knew so many other families
        with babies the same age who could do much more than we could, but
        their babies' personalitites & temperments were more amenable to
        outings at that age than mine. I think my child is more the
        exception than the rule, but if you never hear about the exception &
        then you have the exception, it can be quite upsetting & frustrating
        when you see folks out & about with their babes & wonder what's wrong
        with you (why you can't get it together when they can). I have
        learned that there is nothing wrong with me (or my baby), she just
        had different needs at that age.

        Congratulations to you & your wife! I hope it all goes very well &
        that you'll be in camp & on the trail in no time!

        Mary

        --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, scott patterson
        <kesscokim@...> wrote:

        > <<<I'm looking for some good, practical thoughts and advice
        about taking an 8-10 month old infant car camping for a few days in
        the Adirondacks.

        > Given this is our first, we're very nervous and want to do it right
        for us as well as the baby.>>>

        > <<<Any advice???>>>
        >
        > My advice is don't be nervous at all. Car camping in the
        Adirondacks is nothing to worry about. By the time our sone was
        that age, we had taken him backpacking in several countries and on
        some really long multi-day hikes. No problems. Just keep the
        kid warm, and don't worry about much.
        > Here are a few pictures of our baby at seven months:
        >
        > http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?
        object_id=102485&context_id=177451

        > http://www.summitpost.org/image/40044/150306/it-s-a-fairly-long-
        walk-to.html

        > http://www.summitpost.org/image/47779/152466/colorado-mines-peak;-
        mount-flora.html

        > You seriously have nothing unusual to worry about when car
        camping at that age. That's about the best advice I can give.

      • Jeff Hargis
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 3, 2006
          --- In backpackingwithchildren@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tommysmo@...> wrote:

          > My wife and I are expecting our first child at the end of April. I'm
          > looking for some good, practical thoughts and advice about taking an 8-
          > 10 month old infant car camping for a few days in the Adirondacks.
          > Early July nights can be in the 40s or 50s (or even in the 70s...).
          > Given this is our first, we're very nervous and want to do it right
          > for us as well as the baby.
          >
          > Any advice???
          >
          > Thanks! -Tom

          Tom, don't worry too much...Kids are very resiliant and adaptable. The sooner
          you get out the better, and car camping is a great start since you can bring a
          TON more stuff, base camp and do dayhikes until your ready to get back into
          backpacking.

          This is how I approached it too. Adam, who's now 27 months has been camping
          (in Michigan) at least 10 times starting at 3 months, once even in December.
          Looking back, the 3 best things that helped me stay sane were things you'll
          hopefully buy anyways.

          #1 The carseat. Adam loves to ride in the minivan (you do have a minivan
          right?) He usually falls asleep since he is comfortable, and this is a great
          place to put him for naps or when you need time to do chores. He's stuck!

          #2 The Graco Pack and Play.
          http://www.bizrate.com/buy/products__cat_id--13090206,keyword--
          graco%20pack%20play.html

          A little bulky yes, but you're car camping, and
          again it's somewhere where you can contain baby safely when need be.
          Mine has a changing tray, which really helped my back. I also bought an
          insect net which covers the whole thing. I'd usually roll it onto a tarp to
          keep it clean, and sometimes pitch a tarp over it for sun protection.
          At night it rolled right into our 6 man tent (You do have a big car camping
          tent right?)

          #3 A good baby carrier.
          http://www.epinions.com/pr-deuter_Kid_Comfort_III_Baby_Carrier

          So, once again baby is safe and secure. And you
          can get hike'n. I did'nt skimp on mine, and am glad because if Adam or I
          were uncomfortable, I would'nt have used it as much.

          This month will be the test. I'm hiking in 5 miles to a campsite with Adam
          and will have to pack wisely.

          I hope this helps.

          Jeff.
        • Jenny Nunemacher
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 3, 2006
            Hello all,

            We've taken our daughter (now 3.5 yrs old) out a few times, car camping only
            so far. She was 10 months old the first time we took her and it worked out
            great. She liked (likes!?) to put rocks in her mouth so that was our main
            challenge: keeping her away from rock-like things that really should NOT be
            in her mouth.

            Anyway, I agree with the advice given so far, so I won't chime in there.
            However, I do want to solicit some advice for my own.

            Now we have a new baby. He's 7 weeks old and we're planning our annual
            easter outing to SW Utah to explore some canyons with the kids. We'll be
            car camping and doing day hikes. My question is this. Those of you who
            have taken your wee ones out this early in life, what is your preferred
            sleeping and child-carrying arrangement? With our daughter, we used the hat
            and snowsuit/bunting arrangement and only snuggled her in with me when it
            was especially cold. But for this time, I was thinking that I'd bundle my
            son in a few layers and have him sleep with me--removing/adding layers as
            necessary to keep him comfortable. As for carrying, his neck is not yet
            strong enough for a back carrier, so I was thinking of using the baby
            bjorn. We also have a sling, but we haven't quite mastered that yet to be
            comfortable for both of us.

            What do you veterans think? I expect the day temps to be 60-70's and nights
            to be 30-40's degrees.

            Jenny

          • Tom Jones
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 5, 2006
              I'd like to thank everyone for all of their helpful information. Three weeks to go until the due date - not that tends to be accurate.

              One thought I had is everything we've read says don't cover a newborn/infant with a blanket because it could end up being a carbon dioxide tent for respired air and end up suffocating the baby. I presume none of you had this issue. What about rolling over on your baby?

              It's clear we're going to be new at this so we're trying to cover everything we can think of.

              Thanks again everyone and happy trails!

              Jenny Nunemacher <nunemaj@...> wrote:
[...]

              ---------------------------------

            • Rebecca L Fox
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 5, 2006
                When my children were infants we would always dress them in layers and
                snuggle them in the bags with us. I really wouldn¹t recommend using the
                Baby Bjorn with infants at all. They are very bad for their legs and back
                and but a lot of stress on muscles that are not developed enough. The sling
                is by far the best place for very young ones. I know they can be difficult
                to master...but it really doesn¹t take very long once you commit to it. A
                sling (baby wearing) is an excellent way to bond with your baby and make
                them feel secure. Watch the video (did yours come with one?) or look at a
                couple websites for baby wearing.

                Have fun!

                -Rebecca

                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Rebecca L. Fox
                Discovery Woods Learning Community
                Vienna, Virginia, USA
                rebecca@...
                www.discoverywoods.org

                > Jenny Nunemacher <nunemaj@...> wrote:
                > Hello all,
                >
                > We've taken our daughter (now 3.5 yrs old) out a few times, car camping only
                > so far. She was 10 months old the first time we took her and it worked out
                > great. She liked (likes!?) to put rocks in her mouth so that was our main
                > challenge: keeping her away from rock-like things that really should NOT be
                > in her mouth.
                >
                > Anyway, I agree with the advice given so far, so I won't chime in there.
                > However, I do want to solicit some advice for my own.
                >
                > Now we have a new baby. He's 7 weeks old and we're planning our annual
                > easter outing to SW Utah to explore some canyons with the kids. We'll be
                > car camping and doing day hikes. My question is this. Those of you who
                > have taken your wee ones out this early in life, what is your preferred
                > sleeping and child-carrying arrangement? With our daughter, we used the hat
                > and snowsuit/bunting arrangement and only snuggled her in with me when it
                > was especially cold. But for this time, I was thinking that I'd bundle my
                > son in a few layers and have him sleep with me--removing/adding layers as
                > necessary to keep him comfortable. As for carrying, his neck is not yet
                > strong enough for a back carrier, so I was thinking of using the baby
                > bjorn. We also have a sling, but we haven't quite mastered that yet to be
                > comfortable for both of us.
                >
                > What do you veterans think? I expect the day temps to be 60-70's and nights
                > to be 30-40's degrees.

              • Elizabeth
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 5, 2006
                  >>I think my child is more the exception than the rule, but if you never
                  hear about the exception & then you have the exception, it can be quite
                  upsetting & frustrating when you see folks out & about with their babes &
                  wonder what's wrong with you (why you can't get it together when they can).

                  I'm not a regular poster, but an avid lurker :) and just wanted to agree
                  with everything you said! We were a bit luckier... our difficult child was
                  our third. We had no problems with the first two and planned our first
                  trip with zero thoughts that baby would be anything but happy. She was
                  fussy, didn't like the car seat (ever, in fact!), and wouldn't sleep at
                  night. She hated being carried... wanted to be down on her belly (yes, even
                  in the dirt) rather than snuggled with mom or dad and would squirm whenever
                  we tried to carry her. She was about five months old the first time. We
                  pretty much quit hiking until she was three, choosing to spend our time
                  car-camping instead and bringing along a baby wading pool.

                  Just wanted you to know you aren't alone!

                  Elizabeth
                • Elizabeth
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 5, 2006
                    >> We were a bit luckier... our difficult child was our third.

                    I should add that said child turned eight in December and is the most avid
                    hiker of our offspring. The same energy that kept her moving as a baby is
                    still there, only now she's on her own two feet and can go wherever she
                    wants! In fact, we started hiking again the summer she was three because it
                    became easier to keep her entertained and out of trouble when she was
                    moving. :)

                    Patience pays off!

                    Elizabeth
                  • scottbrian999
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 7, 2006
                      We car-camped and hiked with our daughter when she was 6 months old.
                      We used the pack-n-play for her as a crib. Best advice I can give you
                      is to invest in a good quality thermos. You will be able to bring hot
                      water with you all day to warm bottles and jars of food if you need to
                      do this. The thermos we have will keep water almost boiling for over
                      a day. It does not have a brand name on it (brand name Thermos??) so
                      I cannot help you there. Also, I would recommend using a back carrier
                      instead of a front carrier. Back carriers should place most of the
                      weight on your hips as opposed to front carriers. Carriers like the
                      baby Bjorn will kill your shoulders and back, especially after several
                      hours of hiking.
                      - Scott