Re: [backpackingwithchildren] Digest Number 470

  • JenPete@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hi Mary!
      I made a pillow for my girls. (Got tired of restuffing jackets in the
      crack, picking up a variety of pillow options while carrying small
      child on back, etc.). It's long to fill the curve of the pack or the
      gap between baby's back rest and the front rest, bends so it can sqeeze
      into just about any space, and has a STRAP so when the wakened child
      INEVITABLY throws it overboard it won't fall to the ground getting
      lost, filthy or just causing a pain in the... back? ;)

      It's easy to make...you can check it out here:
      http://hometown.aol.com/outdoor411/pillowindex.html

      Jen

      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 03:39:39 -0000
      From: "Mary Janowski" <marypat_j@...>
      Subject: Hiking and camping with an infant

      My daughter is 6 months old. My husband and I are avid hikers,
      backbackers and campers. We really want to get out again, but I am not
      certain how to go about it with a 6 month old. She is strong enough to
      carry in a backpack, but I am concerned about her head and neck when
      she falls asleep. I don't mind taking shorter hikes for her sake, but
      I do want to go camping. How/where would she sleep safely (and
      wamrly?)? She is already a speedy crawler, so she needs to be
      contained safely. And due to the risk of SIDS, she needs a firm
      sleeping surface, free of blankets.

      I would appreciate any advie you might have.

      Thanks!

      Mary