IR - REI Dash 2 - Theresa Lawrence

  • Theresa Lawrence
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10, 2014
      Hi Kerri,

      Here's my IR, thanks for your editing ...

      HTML

      http://tinyurl.com/nrnjrwj

      TEXT

      REI Dash 2 Tent
      Test Series by Theresa Lawrence
      Initial
      Report- August 9,
      2014

      TESTER INFORMATION

      Name:  Theresa Lawrence

      Email:  theresa_newell AT yahoo DOT com

      Age:  36

      Location:  Sparwood,
      British Columbia, Canada
      Gender:  Female
      Height:  5 ft 8 in (1.73
      m)
      Weight:  130 lb (59 kg)
      have more than 15 years of backpacking experience. Day hikes and 2-3
      day backpacking trips take place on most weekends throughout the year
      while longer trips are only occasional. I backpack predominantly in
      mountain terrain (Coast Range, Cascades and Canadian Rockies) with the
      goal of summiting peaks. Activities I use my gear with include
      mountaineering, ski touring, rock climbing, kayaking, biking, trail
      running, Search and Rescue and overseas travel. I like my gear to be
      reasonably light, convenient and simple to use though I would not claim
      to be a lightweight hiker.

      ________________________________
      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer:  Recreational Equipment Inc. (REI)
      Manufacturer's
      Year of
      Manufacture:  2014

      Made in:
      Vietnam

      MSRP:  $349 US

      Listed Weight:  2 lbs 7 ou/ 1.1 kg (fly, tent, pegs, poles)

      Measured
      Weight:  Spot on and 2 lbs 14 ou/ 1.3 kg (with stuff sack & repair pole)

      Listed Length:
      90 in (2.29 m)

      Listed Width (head/foot):
      54 in (1.3m)/ 42 in (1.07 m)

      Listed Floor Area:
      29 sq ft (2.69 sq m)

      Listed Vestibule Area:
      5.3 sq ft (0.49 sq m) each

      Listed Peak Height:
      40 in (1.02 m)

      Type/ Capacity/ Seasons:
      ultralight, semi-freestanding, 2 person, 3 seasons

      Color Options:
      Beachstone/Cactus (comes in 1 color only)

      Floor & Fly Material:
      15-denier ripstop nylon
      Canopy Material:
      15-denier ripstop nylon/ 20-denier mesh

      Pole Material:
      8.5 mm (0.33 in) DAC aluminum

      DESCRIPTION
      & FIRST IMPRESSIONS

      REI's Dash 2 tent is advertised as an ultralight, 2 person, 3
      season tent. It is certainly the lightest 2 person tent I've ever had
      the chance to play with. The weight is spot on from what was advertised
      at a mere 2 lbs 7 ou (1.1 kg). The fly, floor and the non-mesh part of
      the body are all of the same material, which feels very light, silky
      and delicate. The manufacturer's website states this new REI 15-denier
      ripstop nylon is designed to minimize weight while retaining its
      strength. It came with three stuff sacks; one for each of the poles, pegs and
      tent. It also came with an extra guy line and a pole repair tube. The
      tent has two side door entrances as well as two vestibules made out of the
      fly. Two small side pockets and one overhead pocket are
      available for storage inside the tent. There is also a hang loop on the
      ceiling for hanging items like a light inside the tent. The poles
      assemble into one long skeleton with a T-junction at the foot and a Y-junction at the  head. REI
      calls this their exclusive tension-truss architecture, which is
      supposed to allow for stable vertical walls maximizing the head space
      and minimizing the pole weight. There is a footprint available, but is sold separately.

      TRYING IT ON
      An
      instruction sheet was provided with the bag that admittedly I didn't
      reference before diving in and 'winging' it. And apparently I didn't
      need the instructions because the tent went up as intuitively as I've
      ever experienced
      a tent assembly. I laid out the tent, put the poles together into one
      big skeleton, which could only go in one obvious configuration to the
      tent. The poles secured into the grommets at the corners of the tent
      and clipped into clips on the tent. The fly went on just as easy with
      tighteners at each corner. The interface where the fly meets the cross
      bar junctions gives me some concerns as the junction corners gives the
      suggestion that it will wear right through the fly at the designated
      reinforced spots. However, time will tell if I should have been
      worried. It is considered semi-freestanding because the front corners
      of the floor need to be
      pegged as well as the vestibules to get the full form of the tent.
      However, before pegging down, the tent could be picked up and moved
      around till the perfect spot is found. The fly appears to just cover
      the mesh areas of the tent creating what seems to be quite small
      vestibules. I am
      curious if they will be big enough to shelter my backpack and boots.
      Inside
      the tent is cozy, but has enough room for two adults to sit up
      comfortably. The truss-tension architecture was supposed to
      support vertical walls, but the walls as far as I can tell are
      definitely not vertical.

      SUMMARY
      Overall,
      my initial impression of the REI Dash 2 tent is that it is a well
      constructed and designed ultralight tent. I liked that it has two side
      door
      entrances and two vestibules for each occupant. The tent is very
      compact
      and I am quite curious if the fly covers enough of the tent to keep me
      dry and shelter my belongings in the vestibule. I am pleased with the
      lack of weight I have to carry in my backpack and I'm curious how this
      light material will stand up to the Rocky Mountain weather and terrain
      over the next couple months of testing. It is definitely easy to set
      up, which is a plus and it can be used with or without the fly.

      Thanks to Recreational Equipment Inc. and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing
      me
      to take part in this test series, stay tuned to hear my observations frommy backcountry adventures in about 2 months time.
    • Mark Bayern

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 11, 2014
          got them,  tanks for letting me know