IR - Brunton Torpedo 2800 - Marina Batzke

  • Marina Batzke
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8, 2014
      Dear Editor:
      Please find below my IR for the Brunton Torpedo 2800.

      On the Brunton website, I cannot locate the Torpedo 2800; only a Torpedo 2600.
      So I cannot locate the MSRP for the 2800 version.
      What shall I put under?  MSRP: US $

      Regards
      Marina Batzke
      http://tinyurl.com/p9pzxys

      BRUNTON TORPEDO 2800
      TEST SERIES BY MARINA BATZKE
      IR
      August 07, 2014

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Marina Batzke
      EMAIL: mbbp2013 (at) hotmail (dot) com
      AGE: 54
      LOCATION: Los Angeles County, California, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 5" (1.65 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      I converted from day hiking and car camping to backpacking in spring 2013. Since then, I have selectively purchased new, more lightweight gear, while I still carry some heavier gear from my car camping trips.  I always hike with a group and I like the gear talk when in camp.  I am a tent camper looking for ways to lighten my pack.  My backpacking trips are currently weekend excursions in Southern California, USA.  If my business travel allows me to get away, I try to backpack one or two weekends a month.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: BRUNTON, Boulder, Colorado, USA
      Year of Manufacture: 2014
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.brunton.com">>
      MSRP: US $   ??? I cannot locate an MSRP online ???
      Listed Weight: 4.78 oz (135 g)
      Measured Weight: 4.8 oz (136 g)
      Listed Dimensions on Package: 5 in (15.7 cm) x 1 in (2.5 cm) x 5 in (15.7 cm)
      Measured Dimensions: 5 in (12.7 cm) x 1.06 in (2.7 cm) diameter
      Other details:
      On the Brunton website, I cannot locate the Torpedo 2800; only a Torpedo 2600 at MSRP US $44.99. The 2600 is available in black, silver, camouflage, mint green and olive green.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The BRUNTON Torpedo 2800 arrived packaged inside a cardboard / blister plastic combination. I separated the two cardboard layers and pulled the Torpedo out of its plastic packaging. I then noticed a yellowish paper pouch between those two cardboard layers (behind the Torpedo) and found the folded USER MANUAL inside.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Front side packing unit">>   <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Back side packing unit">>
      The Torpedo is 5 in (12.7 cm) long and at its black base 1.06 in (2.7 cm) diameter. When I hold Torpedo in my hand, I can feel its weight but it does not feel heavy. My Torpedo has a black hard plastic base which I call "the handle": 2.5 in (6.3 cm) long. The BRUNTON name is shown in yellow on one side of this handle.
      Next comes a black hard plastic ring with two projecting openings. Each opening shows two screws that hold this ring section together. I have no idea what those openings are for. Could I attach the Torpedo to something, using one or both of these openings? Or is it just the design for the screws?
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Torpedo with USB output 1 and Micro USB input port">>
      In this 1 in (2.5 cm) section on the side that shows the BRUNTON name in yellow, Torpedo has the Micro USB port that I insert my cell phone cable into. Right next to this small opening is USB output 1.   <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4"  IMAGE CAPTION = "USB Output 2 and tiny power button and 3 LEDs">>
      On the opposite side, the Torpedo has USB output 2 and a small Power button with 3 tiny LED lights next to it. In Photo 4, you see the three LEDs illuminated, showing full charge. And you see part of my cell phone cable,  inserted into the Micro USB input port on the opposite side.
      Torpedo's top section is 1.06 in (2.7 cm) brushed silver with a receding black hard plastic tip (0.03 in = 0.8 cm) and a metal contact (0.2 in = 0.5 cm): this whole section is the car charger input. I can insert it into a car cigarette lighter and charge Torpedo.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      After unfolding the User Manual, I noticed the front page has use instructions in English, French and German. The English and German instructions have proper grammar and can easily be followed. The text is supported by a few drawings.
      Torpedo contains a Lithium battery that I can charge and it becomes power on-the-go. A fully charged Torpedo is said to charge:
      a smart phone twice, or
      an MP3 player three times, or
      a head lamp twice (my head lamp does not have a recharge function; it works on batteries), or
      a GPS twice, or
      a video camera three times, or
      a UV water purifier three times.
      The User Manual recommends to first fully charge Torpedo before using it as on-the-go power source. BRUNTON also recommends to recharge Torpedo every 4 to 5 months if it has not been used, as there may be a natural power loss. BRUNTON also recommends to not wait til Torpedo is fully depleted and then recharge. It is more efficient to just refill what has been used, instead of completely draining the Lithium battery for a full reloading of power.
      I am very impressed by BRUNTON's warranty: It says on the cardboard packaging: "Buy it. Try it. Bust it. Return it. No questions asked."  BRUNTON encourages users to register the Torpedo 2800 on their website. If anything is wrong with the Torpedo, users shall obtain a Return Authorization number and BRUNTON then reserves the right to repair or replace the item.

      TRYING IT OUT

      The Brunton Torpedo 2800 does not come with a charging cable but my cell phone cable fits into the Micro USB input port.
      Using my cell phone cable, I connected the Torpedo to a wall power outlet.  2 LED indicators immediately illuminated with a constant orange, while the third LED indicator started blinking in orange. I kept walking by the Torpedo to check for any changes and that third LED indicator kept blinking ... one hour ... 2 hours ... 3 hours ... 3 hours 15 minutes ... When I next walked by at 3 hours 30 minutes, all three LEDs were a constant orange color - the blinking had stopped. Torpedo was fully charged.
      A while later, I pressed on the small Power button: all 3 LEDs illuminated in orange. Torpedo confirmed to me that it was fully charged. After two seconds this power level indicator turned off.

      TESTING STRATEGY

      I am looking forward to testing Torpedo charging my cell phone, both while backpacking and while on business trips where my cell phone's power typically does not last a full work day due to GPS draining its battery power. I will also try charging my portable GPS for the car and my digital camera to see how Torpedo performs with each of these different devices.
      Thank you very much to BRUNTON and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this handy power pack. Please check back for my field report in about 2 months.

      SIGNATURE

      Marina Batzke

      Copyright 2014.  All rights reserved.
    • rayestrella1
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 9, 2014

        Hello Marina,

        I will be the monitor for this test series. Nice job on the pictures of the unit on the red fabric. I have some edits for you below. Once corrected you may place it in the Report folder:

        Reviews > Electronic Devices > Solar Chargers > Brunton Torpedo 2800

        See you in a couple months,

        Ray

        ***Manufacturer: BRUNTON, Boulder, Colorado, USA

        EDIT: Brunton (not all caps)

        ***MSRP: US $ ??? I cannot locate an MSRP online ???

        EDIT: that’s OK, in this case we just go, MSRP: N/A

        ***Listed Weight: 4.78 oz (135 g)

        EDIT: where did the listed weight come from? If the package that is fine. But if from a source other than the manufacturer just list it as N/A

        ***On the Brunton website, I cannot locate the Torpedo 2800; only a Torpedo 2600 at MSRP US $44.99. The 2600 is available in black, silver, camouflage, mint green and olive green.

        EDIT: please remove the 2600 info as we are just reporting on the 2800

        *** I can insert it into a car cigarette lighter and charge Torpedo.

        EDIT: and charge “the” Torpedo

        ***The User Manual recommends to first fully charge Torpedo before using it

        ***BRUNTON also recommends to recharge Torpedo every 4 to 5 months

        ***BRUNTON also recommends to not wait til Torpedo is fully depleted and then

        ***If anything is wrong with the Torpedo, users shall obtain a Return Authorization ***Using my cell phone cable, I connected the Torpedo to a wall power outlet.

        EDIT: you jump back and forth with the proper use of “the” before Torpedo. Please add it where missing throughout the report.

        ***Thank you very much to BRUNTON and BackpackGearTest.org

        EDIT: Brunton

      • Marina Batzke
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 9, 2014
          Thank you, Ray.
          I made all your editorial changes and uploaded the corrected IR.
          FYI: the listed weight is shown on the Packaging back side.
          The Draft version is deleted.
          Thank you for your feedback.
          Happy Summer!